Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:32 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,318,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Ooops... My bad!
no, not really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
no, not really.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:02 PM

Default No more wars

YouTube - U2 - Where The Streets Have No Name

Old 05-22-2009, 04:39 AM

639 posts, read 1,141,115 times
To the poster who knows everything...I WAS around for 9-11. I worked Ground Zero for over six weeks so don't get all sanctimonious to me. You liberals kill me....Clinton had two opportunities to take out Osama Bin Laden and REFUSED to do so. Stop rewriting history. If we hold Bush responsible for 9-11 and not Clinton because he removed all of our assets on the ground and totally crushed the morale of our intelligence gatherers then 9-11 may not have happened. I guess we can now hold the Messiah responsible for all the problems we are facing now and stop talking about "Failed Bush Policies"......

Old 05-22-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtAJC View Post
To the poster who knows everything...I WAS around for 9-11. I worked Ground Zero for over six weeks so don't get all sanctimonious to me. You liberals kill me....Clinton had two opportunities to take out Osama Bin Laden and REFUSED to do so. Stop rewriting history. If we hold Bush responsible for 9-11 and not Clinton because he removed all of our assets on the ground and totally crushed the morale of our intelligence gatherers then 9-11 may not have happened. I guess we can now hold the Messiah responsible for all the problems we are facing now and stop talking about "Failed Bush Policies"......

Old 05-22-2009, 05:20 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,095,675 times
Quote:
CLINTON: ...And I think it's very interesting that all the conservative Republicans, who now say I didn't do enough, claimed that I was too obsessed with bin Laden. All of President Bush's neo-cons thought I was too obsessed with bin Laden. They had no meetings on bin Laden for nine months after I left office. All the right-wingers who now say I didn't do enough said I did too much — same people.
CLINTON: No, no. I authorized the CIA to get groups together to try to kill him.

The CIA, which was run by George Tenet, that President Bush gave the Medal of Freedom to, he said, "He did a good job setting up all these counterterrorism things."

The country never had a comprehensive anti-terror operation until I came there.

Now, if you want to criticize me for one thing, you can criticize me for this: After the Cole, I had battle plans drawn to go into Afghanistan, overthrow the Taliban, and launch a full-scale attack search for bin Laden.

But we needed basing rights in Uzbekistan, which we got after 9/11.

The CIA and the FBI refused to certify that bin Laden was responsible while I was there. They refused to certify. So that meant I would've had to send a few hundred Special Forces in helicopters and refuel at night....

WALLACE: Do you think you did enough, sir?

CLINTON: No, because I didn't get him.

WALLACE: Right.

CLINTON: But at least I tried. That's the difference in me and some, including all the right-wingers who are attacking me now. They ridiculed me for trying. They had eight months to try. They did not try. I tried.

So I tried and failed. When I failed, I left a comprehensive anti-terror strategy and the best guy in the country, Dick Clarke, who got demoted.
WALLACE: Did they know in 2000 when he hit the Cole?

CLINTON: What did I do? What did I do? I worked hard to try to kill him. I authorized a finding for the CIA to kill him. We contracted with people to kill him. I got closer to killing him than anybody has gotten since. And if I were still president, we'd have more than 20,000 troops there trying to kill him.

Now, I've never criticized President Bush, and I don't think this is useful. But you know we do have a government that thinks Afghanistan is only one-seventh as important as Iraq.

And you ask me about terror and Al Qaeda with that sort of dismissive thing? When all you have to do is read Richard Clarke's book to look at what we did in a comprehensive, systematic way to try to protect the country against terror.
WALLACE: And all I can say is, I'm asking you this in good faith because it's on people's minds, sir. And I wasn't ...

CLINTON: Well, there's a reason it's on people's minds. That's the point I'm trying to make. There's a reason it's on people's minds: Because there's been a serious disinformation campaign to create that impression.

This country only has one person who's worked on this terror. From the terrorist incidents under Reagan to the terrorist incidents from 9/11, only one: Richard Clarke.
The people on my political right who say I didn't do enough spent the whole time I was president saying, "Why is he so obsessed with bin Laden? That was "wag the dog" when he tried to kill him."

My Republican secretary of defense — and I think I'm the only president since World War II to have a secretary of defense of the opposite party — Richard Clarke and all the intelligence people said that I ordered a vigorous attempt to get bin Laden and came closer, apparently, than anybody has since.

WALLACE: All right.

CLINTON: And you guys try to create the opposite impression, when all you have to do is read Richard Clarke's findings and you know it's not true. It's just not true.

FOXNews.com - Transcript: William Jefferson Clinton on 'FOX News Sunday' - FOX News Sunday | Chris Wallace

Old 05-22-2009, 06:04 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,262,371 times
Quote:
Reporting from Washington - Former Vice President Dick Cheney, delivering a forceful defense of the Bush administration's interrogations of suspected terrorists and stern criticism of the Obama administration, maintained today that the CIA never tortured anyone and kept the United States safe from an attack potentially worse than the terrorism of Sept. 11, 2001.

Cheney defends waterboarding, says Guantanamo prison essential -- chicagotribune.com

Poor Cheney, must have Alzheimer setting in.... Seems to have forgotten that 9/11 happened on the Bush Administrations watch... Trying to protect a legacy? Legacy my @ss...
The Vice President's speech, givien at the American Enterprise Institute, was very compelling. It was an excellent speech, and he was very articulate, as usual.

He pointed out that only 3 were ever waterboarded, and that information learned from the interrogation technique prevented an attack similar to the 9-11 attack from occuring in Los Angeles.

What Cheney is doing has nothing to do with "protecting a legacy". He is criticizing an administration that is undermining our intelligence gathering efforts, and purposefully (so it seems) providing our enemies with information that they will surely use against us.

Your posts, and post like yours, disgust me. They show you have no regard for America, nor the men and women who defend your right to post this kind of garbage.

Where were you on 9-11? Do you even remember what happend on that day? Were you ever in the military (doubtful)?

I am a Vietnam Vet, and proud. I love this country, and I wouldn't be going around like this idiot Obama is, apologizing to the world for the freedom that we enjoy and our defense of it. The man ought to be brought up on chages of treason, because he is not upholding his sworn oath. Hell, he isn't even an American.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:07 AM

68,300 posts, read 54,222,946 times
Quote:
Reporting from Washington - Former Vice President Dick Cheney, delivering a forceful defense of the Bush administration's interrogations of suspected terrorists and stern criticism of the Obama administration, maintained today that the CIA never tortured anyone and kept the United States safe from an attack potentially worse than the terrorism of Sept. 11, 2001.

Just the latest iteration of "I am not a crook"

Old 05-22-2009, 06:14 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,262,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
That man has less credibility than a pedofile priest.
But way more than Obama.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:18 AM

68,300 posts, read 54,222,946 times
Quote:

Please document this statement which at this point is nothing but urban myth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies