Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times

Advertisements

California ;the state of extremes.The word I caught is cutback which is what many americans are doing these days on food;medicall and evrythig else from what I see.For the same reason too;they can't afford it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 11:19 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,199,491 times
Quote:
and Cal Grants cash assistance to college and university students.
Short sighted, and counter intuitive.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:24 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,186,006 times
The threat of closing schools and laying off teachers was getting old and people were no longer scared by it. At least this is something new. As a liberal CA resident myself I don't have a problem with this at all. I don't think welfare will ever be completly eliminated (in CA or any other state) but the welfare culture does need to end. Unfortunately I do believe it will drive many out of state to become someone elses problem.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:45 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,314,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Good luck getting it through the ultra-blue Legislature.
It's a two way street. The 2/3rds rule means all cuts can be blocked just as all tax increases can be blocked. It's the stupidest rule ever but right wingers got it passed in the 80's and the state government has been in gridlock ever since. Going back to simple majority rule would solve 90% of our problems.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:13 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
It's a two way street. The 2/3rds rule means all cuts can be blocked just as all tax increases can be blocked. It's the stupidest rule ever but right wingers got it passed in the 80's and the state government has been in gridlock ever since. Going back to simple majority rule would solve 90% of our problems.
No, it would not. Going back to a simple majority would mean more spending and thus more taxes. That would mean that even more of the wealthy would vote with their feet and leave the state, which would equal less revenue to pay for these programs. We'd still be going bankrupt, but for different reasons. Don't get me wrong, California is an amazing place to live, but if the Democrats were given a blank check to run the state as they saw fit, taxes would be far higher than they are now, and at some point, even the stunning beauty of California wouldn't be enough to keep the richest here. The only way we can fix our current problems is to spend less money. We can't just throw big government at every problem that comes our way.

Also, I'd like to give some respect to the previous poster who said that California is the state of extremes. You're exactly right. The Left and the Right in this state are very left and very right, respectively. This state, for example, is home to very conservative folks like Darrell Issa and Tom McClintock (my rep), as well as Nancy Pelosi and Maxine Waters (also, let's not forget Reagan).

Old 05-22-2009, 03:07 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,246,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I disagree with "packing them into churches."

States should provide limited benefits for a short period of time to AMERICANS in need.

Illegals should not be provided a damn thing.
If legal statis was checked in conjunction with INS and illegals deported they would be more wary of trying. If having that one ancor kid didn't get you all the goodies but a trip home without your kid if there was a relative to care for them or with them if not it wouldn't make it such an easy game. All the services that go to illegals since they have legal children (like Section 8) cost those who do need help and are obeying the law that help, and sucking away the life blood for everyone.

Of course this is another volley in the continuing dare that is making sure nothing will get done until the feds come in and save the state. He knows that isn't going to happen. Both he and the legistlature are playing this childish game when everyone (left) in the state is hanging by the balance. Unforutnately, my son and his dad's family are there so I have to care.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,874,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayannaaaliyah View Post
What he SHOULD be doing first is cutting off assistance for all those who ARE NOT American citizens - that in itself would free up a substantial amount of money for the State.

Cutting off the social programs is not the answer because it for one is punishing American citizens for the failure of State and Federal Government, not protecting its' borders.

If this happens - all the illegals will run to Texas.
I agree, illegal alien's are given so many handouts in this country it's a joke. Why would they go home when they get everything HERE for free....is that NOT common sense?

Old 05-22-2009, 06:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
Put an upper limit to the amount a welfare family can recieve and a lower limit on taxable income.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:48 AM

24,385 posts, read 23,041,608 times
People can always find charity and help, but they'll have to make an effort to get it and see that it comes from people, not just a bureaucracy. And they may get turned away and denied if they aren't deemed worthy. The alternatives: Work and make your own way and don't be dependant on anybody.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:50 AM

1,655 posts, read 3,245,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
It appears to me that this is the first move in a political game of chicken.
No question. California is such an awful state...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies