Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:33 PM

519 posts, read 688,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
Bring it on, a $15 six pack sounds good to me. I as a smoker have been footing the bill for too long and only drink 3 times a year.

Yep, $15 a six, with a $3 surcharge straight to MADD so they can go ahead with thier agenda and put breath-lock devices on all cars whether you've ever had a drop in your life or not. Let's see someone else get picked on for a change.
LOL .....that's all I can say to that. Interesting perspective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 09:35 AM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
i think they should tax cool aid more than half america drinks it

Old 05-25-2009, 09:37 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The federal government shouldn't....state governments should.

They can put it in the health care or transportation budget.

Like you, Pittston2Sarasota, I'm a smoker and I don't particularly enjoy paying $6 a pack either.
Well in WA state they are like $7-8.00 a pack.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
i think they should tax cool aid more than half america drinks it

Old 05-25-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Just wait...you'll find out. My favorite is the soda tax. Now what I haven't heard is whether or not diet soda would be exempt since there are no calories?

Would orange juice and other fruit juices be taxed? They are very high in sugar, albeit natural sugar. You can get mighty hefty drinking that Florida or California sunshine.

What's next? Food police to come to your house and inspect your fridge to see if you have any high fat foods and write you a citation?

I actually eat quite healthy, but I like a good pizza every now and then, or a little Mexican grease. Is the government going to tax me?

Folks, this is 1984 coming true. The government will tell us all how much we can earn, what kinds of cars we can drive, what kinds of beverages to drink, and what kinds of food to eat. For all you liberals who think this is great, do you not recognize that this is EXACTLY the stuff we conservatives have been warning about in election campaigns and on talk radio? This is not "fear mongering" or "scare tactics"...this is calling a spade a spade and just pointig out the facts.

WAKE UP PEOPLE. This would be funny if it wasn't real. Nancy Pelosi and Obama are EXACTLY the stereotypical liberals we've been warning about. Tax, Spend, Control.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:57 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I saw on the news today where the powers that be want to increase the tax on a six pack of beer. While I hate these kind of taxes....since I have to pay high taxes to smoke....if it is ok for smokers, than why not for drinkers? How do you feel about this tax?
instead, how about reducing the taxes on both cigarettes and beer? isn't that more logical?

Old 05-25-2009, 01:11 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
instead, how about reducing the taxes on both cigarettes and beer? isn't that more logical?
It'll never happen. The new fad is for the government to encourage people to not engage in certain behaviors through taxation.

Everyone still technically gets to do what they please, but the government gets brownie points for (somewhat) officially stating it doesn't approve.

I don't necessarily like it, but sin taxes are here to stay.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:14 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
It'll never happen. The new fad is for the government to encourage people to not engage in certain behaviors through taxation.

Everyone still technically gets to do what they please, but the government gets brownie points for (somewhat) officially stating it doesn't approve.

I don't necessarily like it, but sin taxes are here to stay.
you're probably right.
still, it's unfortunate to see the [unfairly taxed] smokers take the misery-loves-company approach in calling for an increase in beer taxes.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:37 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
this is still america. i am growing my own tabacco and brewing my own beer now. and will continue till the black market is fully established in my area.remember proibition? did not work.heck you can already buy tobaccy in ziplock bags like pot. real cheap too.if you tax it too high we will always get around it.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Just wait..eventually it will get around to the "milk" tax and the "bread" tax and you snug folks won't be so snug anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies