Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 01:17 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
YES.

What's funny is "Americans" have such a hard time grasping the idea that they've taken over the name of the continent. Imo, their trouble understanding this concept shows how deeply embedded American entitlement is.
What your not understanding is that "America" is actually a Eurocentric term. It is the name given by the original founders of this nation and continent. Actually, the only people who call the U.S. "America" are the foreigners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 05:50 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Thank you! That is exactly what I meant. And, btw, I'm not a 'he', but a 'she'.
Thats not what i've heard I hear you give an awesome Boy George show

I stand corrected hehe.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:40 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
so stop trying to hijack our struggle for your gain.
This is a lengthy thread and I can only imagine what has been posted on the (so far) 69 pages of replies. (I didn't read them.) However, once a "movement" to benefit one group of people gains some traction, it's only a matter of time before some other group hops on the band wagon. After the initial battle for civil rights for black Americans met with success, feminists wanted their slice of the pie. Then came the animal rights people, then the environmentalists, then the gays, then the illegal aliens. I'm sure I've missed some groups but you get the point. So it's pointless to try and stop all the other groups who want to chime in and claim their "rights", too. It's just human nature.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I'm sure I've missed some groups but you get the point. So it's pointless to try and stop all the other groups who want to chime in and claim their "rights", too. It's just human nature.
I'm sure if you were a disadvantaged member of a "group" you'd want the same thing....

I can just imagine the way a society looks if you were in charge of its destiny. Whatever it would be, there would be no evolution. If you inherited gold - it would stay gold - if you inherited a load of crap - it would stay a load of crap - consistency is good - change is bad...black is black - white is white - grey doesn't exist

Old 05-27-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I'm sure if you were a disadvantaged member of a "group" you'd want the same thing....

I can just imagine the way a society looks if you were in charge of its destiny. Whatever it would be, there would be no evolution. If you inherited gold - it would stay gold - if you inherited a load of crap - it would stay a load of crap - consistency is good - change is bad...black is black - white is white - grey doesn't exist

How do you know I am not a member of a "disadvantaged group"?

As for the rest of your post.......it's petty and makes no sense.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
How do you know I am not a member of a "disadvantaged group"?

As for the rest of your post.......it's petty and makes no sense.

Petty? Really? You seemed rather dismissive of groups that are targetting "rights"

Perhaps i'm just not getting you...but my post made sense - perhaps you're not getting me..

Old 05-28-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
Petty? Really? You seemed rather dismissive of groups that are targetting "rights"

Perhaps i'm just not getting you...but my post made sense - perhaps you're not getting me..
Yes, petty, because in your reply you made a personal attack against me, whereas I made an impartial observation about how once the ball gets rolling for one group of people i.e. black Americans and the civil rights movement of the 1960's, it is human nature for other groups who also feel disadvantaged to want to reap the same benefits the first group did.

How you got from that statement to here......"I can just imagine the way a society looks if you were in charge of its destiny. Whatever it would be, there would be no evolution. If you inherited gold - it would stay gold - if you inherited a load of crap - it would stay a load of crap - consistency is good - change is bad...black is black - white is white - grey doesn't exist ".....I have no clue. It is a non sequitur and makes no sense.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:28 PM

749 posts, read 946,887 times
Gays are about 1 in 100,000,000 per population, butt they continue to suck their agenda on the rest of us and the left pack it along with them, 2 girls kissing is hot but 2 guys not.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:47 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgibbs42 View Post
Gays are about 1 in 100,000,000 per population, butt they continue to suck their agenda on the rest of us and the left pack it along with them, 2 girls kissing is hot but 2 guys not.
More like 4 in 100.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:16 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I, as a black man, have listened to people who are advocating for gay marriage and illegal immigration use the civil rights struggle that the African-American community endured to help their respective causes. I'm furious when the struggle my parents and other blacks endured is being used to help two groups of people who haven't endured anything close to the h&$# my parents and black went through in the sixties.

Gay marriage advocates: You may or may not have a choice of being gay. But at least you have a choice of whether to be openly gay or go the Ted Haggard route and keep it a secret and try to appear like everyone else.

Illegals and illegal alien supporters: Dont EVEN get me started on you. You chose to come into the or stay in the US illegally.

Black folks in the 60's had no choice in the matter of their skin color. If you are gay you can try to hide it and shack up with your partner like straight couples do, if you are illegal at least you can try to get fake government documents and steal a SSN to make it seem like you are in the country legally. I doubt that science will come up with a way that you can change your skin color from black to white.

Can you imagine being refused a seat at a resturant, being denied a job, being told where to sit on a bus, even drinking at a different water fountain of poor quality all becuase you were discriminated against over something you had ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL over like your skin color and race?

At the end of the day, gay marriage supporters and illegals are only fighting to make everyone else to accept the choices they made in their life. The blacks in the 60s were fighting to live life like everyone else and to not be punished for an aspect of their life they had no control over. At the end of the day, gays who want to marry inside their sex and illegals know nearly nothing about discrimination like the blacks in the civil rights era had to endure, so stop trying to hijack our struggle for your gain.
It sounds like you want to hold the monopoly on struggles of a group. I'm jewish and my people were exterminated but it also included gays and gypsies.My grandfathers parents and his 9 brothers and sisters were all killed in the concentration camps but do you hear me complaining that gay people haven't had it that hard? Every year when Christmas is jammed down my throat I have to endure it,and be made to feel inferior because of my heritage. I personally agree that ILLEGAL aliens should be sent back. That would definitely help the unemployed here but gays should be given all the rights as others and you should feel empathy to their cause. They didn't choose to be that way and not all would be able to hide it either. Lots of groups struggle or have been treated in an inferior way but who are we to judge who had it harder? Maybe instead of the pissing match,we should just welcome their right to equality!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies