Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times

Advertisements

I, as a black man, have listened to people who are advocating for gay marriage and illegal immigration use the civil rights struggle that the African-American community endured to help their respective causes. I'm furious when the struggle my parents and other blacks endured is being used to help two groups of people who haven't endured anything close to the h&$# my parents and black went through in the sixties.

Gay marriage advocates: You may or may not have a choice of being gay. But at least you have a choice of whether to be openly gay or go the Ted Haggard route and keep it a secret and try to appear like everyone else.

Illegals and illegal alien supporters: Dont EVEN get me started on you. You chose to come into the or stay in the US illegally.

Black folks in the 60's had no choice in the matter of their skin color. If you are gay you can try to hide it and shack up with your partner like straight couples do, if you are illegal at least you can try to get fake government documents and steal a SSN to make it seem like you are in the country legally. I doubt that science will come up with a way that you can change your skin color from black to white.

Can you imagine being refused a seat at a resturant, being denied a job, being told where to sit on a bus, even drinking at a different water fountain of poor quality all becuase you were discriminated against over something you had ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL over like your skin color and race?

At the end of the day, gay marriage supporters and illegals are only fighting to make everyone else to accept the choices they made in their life. The blacks in the 60s were fighting to live life like everyone else and to not be punished for an aspect of their life they had no control over. At the end of the day, gays who want to marry inside their sex and illegals know nearly nothing about discrimination like the blacks in the civil rights era had to endure, so stop trying to hijack our struggle for your gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:50 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Does not even warrant a reply.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:51 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Does not even warrant a reply.
Then why did you reply?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:52 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
I'm not going to comment on the gay part.

As far as the illegals....they have no right to complain about anything. All they deserve is a swift kick back to Mexico as quickly as we can possibly give it to them.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:55 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Gay marriage advocates: You may or may not have a choice of being gay. But at least you have a choice of whether to be openly gay or go the Ted Haggard route and keep it a secret and try to appear like everyone else.
Oh yeah. Ted Haggard is such a great role model for everyone to follow.

Sorry if you don't like the comparisons. I understand that the struggle for equality is not the same for gays as it was for blacks, but there are similarities, and so the comparisons are valid to me.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:01 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,606,493 times
Quote:
I, as a black man, have listened to people who are advocating for gay marriage and illegal immigration use the civil rights struggle that the African-American community endured to help their respective causes. I'm furious when the struggle my parents and other blacks endured is being used to help two groups of people who haven't endured anything close to the h&$# my parents and black went through in the sixties.

Illegals and illegal alien supporters: Dont EVEN get me started on you. You chose to come into the or stay in the US illegally.

Black folks in the 60's had no choice in the matter of their skin color. If you are gay you can try to hide it and shack up with your partner like straight couples do, if you are illegal at least you can try to get fake government documents and steal a SSN to make it seem like you are in the country legally. I doubt that science will come up with a way that you can change your skin color from black to white.

Can you imagine being refused a seat at a resturant, being denied a job, being told where to sit on a bus, even drinking at a different water fountain of poor quality all becuase you were discriminated against over something you had ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL over like your skin color and race?

At the end of the day, gay marriage supporters and illegals are only fighting to make everyone else to accept the choices they made in their life. The blacks in the 60s were fighting to live life like everyone else and to not be punished for an aspect of their life they had no control over. At the end of the day, gays who want to marry inside their sex and illegals know nearly nothing about discrimination like the blacks in the civil rights era had to endure, so stop trying to hijack our struggle for your gain.
It's sad when those from a group which historically had to struggle for equal rights (e.g., blacks, women, etc.) then turn around and support the denial of equal rights to others (e.g., gays). Pure ignorance.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:06 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Then why did you reply?
Think it over?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:07 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
It's sad when those from a group which historically had to struggle for equal rights (e.g., blacks, women, etc.) then turn around and support the denial of equal rights to others (e.g., gays). Pure ignorance.
What she ^ said.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:14 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:

Bravo, Bravo ... (hands clapping loudly)

Old 05-21-2009, 08:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Bravo, Bravo ... (hands clapping loudly)
I have to agree with bigsky. I remember farther back than the 60s when the Army integrated but civilians couldn't stand that. We in the Army didn't have much reason to dislike blacks just for their skin color. My best buddy in basic training was one of the very dark ones and more fun than anybody I have ever been around. I had a few serious arguments and even fights with people who tried to take Tex to task for anything.

I think that BigSkyDude sounds like a western man who hasn't had to live with any of these people, much like I haven't. I agree completely with alanboy about these people trying to liken themselves to blacks in the 60s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies