Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:56 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times

Advertisements

There have been numerous posts in the last few days regarding homosexuality and sexuality in general. The common theme from the liberals is that American's are "too hung up" on sex. Many liberals view sex as important to humans as breathing. Many liberals view homosexuality as natural. The common theme is that conservatives use "superstition" (religion) to supersede what is really just natural human behavior.

Assume this is true and we suddenly declare acceptance for this innate human behavior. What other human behavior should we also accept? Violence has been inherent to humans for as long as we know. Cannibalism? Multiple wives? Cheating? Killing our offspring? If one studies human nature over the last 4000 years even, it might just disturb the he** out of him.

Should we selectively choose which behavior is worthy of acceptance? Should we just admit defeat and return to our neanderthal roots? Or should we recognize that society for the last 2000 years has progressed passed the era of clubbing each other because of the influence of religion?

Just curious what you all think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
You forgot pedophilia! Don't forget that one!!! The homophobes love to bring up NAMBLA and its agenda being next on the rung of sanctioned behavior after the legalization of gay marriage. Oh, and beastiality too!!! Don't forget that one either!!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:12 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
You forgot pedophilia! Don't forget that one!!! The homophobes love to bring up NAMBLA and their agenda being next on the rung of sanctioned behavior after the legalization of gay marriage. Oh, and beastiality too!!! Don't forget that one either!!

I missed those! Good catch.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:13 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
There have been numerous posts in the last few days regarding homosexuality and sexuality in general.
Well.. certainly has been here for longer than a few days..

Quote:
The common theme from the liberals is that American's are "too hung up" on sex. Many liberals view sex as important to humans as breathing. Many liberals view homosexuality as natural.
Your last sentence is NOT neccesarily true. Does homosexuality occurr in animals.. it does. So therefore can it be deemed "natural".. well to a point. Let's look at prisons. Often times men in prison engage in homosexual activity while incarcerated, but do not consider themselves "homosexual". However, they need to fill the human sexual drive and only other males are available to them. So SEX in and of itself is a NATURAL human impulse.

Now.. without stating really wether I believe sex between two people of the same sex is "natural" .. the MAIN theme that liberals believe in is almost the same with the abortion issue.. in that they may not like abortion, like the idea of having an abortion, would never have an abortion etc.. they feel that it is the individuals right to choose what it is that is best for them. That same argument applies to homosexuality. We may not understand how you can be attracted to the same sex, we can even say that we feel it is unnatural.. but we understand that that is OUR opinion and that we have no right to judge someone else for their belief or lifestyle.or prevent them from engaging in a lifestyle that ultimately doesn't really affect me , harm me or anyone else for that matter.

The common theme is that conservatives use "superstition" (religion) to supersede what is really just natural human behavior.

Quote:
Assume this is true and we suddenly declare acceptance for this innate human behavior. What other human behavior should we also accept? Violence has been inherent to humans for as long as we know. Cannibalism? Multiple wives? Cheating? Killing our offspring? If one studies human nature over the last 4000 years even, it might just disturb the he** out of him.
The key here is that homosexuality really does not affect YOU, ME or SOCIETY negatively as a whole if someone decides to engage it. Even multiple wives/husbands.. when all those involved are consenting adults, does not harm me, you and society as a whole. WE may never choose that for ourselves, but we have no right to tell someone else they can not choose it.

However, violence of any kind really interferes with someone else's free will.. because it is an act forced upon another person. DAMAGE and harm is afflicted on someone OUTSIDE of your self. Someone else's free will choices have been removed without their consent when someone commits and act of violence a killing etc. There really is no comparison between the homosexual or multiple spouse issue and violence inflicted on others and society. It's apples and oranges.

So basically.. when someone else's actions remove the rights of someone else or inflict harm on someone else..that is when the line is crossed and society deems the behaviour unacceptable.

Quote:
Should we selectively choose which behavior is worthy of acceptance? Should we just admit defeat and return to our neanderthal roots? Or should we recognize that society for the last 2000 years has progressed passed the era of clubbing each other because of the influence of religion?

Man is constantly evolving. God , if you believe in GOD, so created us that way. HE gave us a brain to act, think and grow. For example, at one time it was perfectly acceptable to club a woman over the head and declare her your property (caveman days, obviously). Since then we have socially evolved and realize, once again, that that sort of behaviour is NOT acceptable becasue it again removes the FREE WILL that GOD gives us all and no one has the right to remove that. I wouldn't neccesarily say that "religion" is what made us evolve that way.. becasue there are still "religions" out there that are NOT as evolved.. ie: the religions in which woman are considered inferior and treated as such (and thereby their free will stiffled). I would say that it is the spiritual aspect of religions that actually bring about our evolvement.. the basic thread that runs through each religion (because they all have that basic common thread.. but the actual religion itself tends to focus on only one aspect of a larger picture.

We should NOT go back to our neanderthal ways..BUT we would do well in asking ourselves if our actions inhibit the FREE WILL of someone else. Any action that does, ultimately , should be deemed inappropriate or unacceptable. As long as someone else's choices only affect themselves and doesn't inflict harm on other individuals or the community, then it should be left alone to that individual.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:18 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:

We've passed the era of clubbing each other because of religion?

I think THAT's a baseless statement.

If anything, more people have probably been clubbed (and continue to be) in the name of religion than for any other cause.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
I consider homosexuality to be normal and acceptable because it exists throughout the animal kingdom, harms no one, and is said to be normal by every major medical and psychological association in the modern world. I believe in science and I trust the experts who study these things for a living.

I don't know of anyone who thinks killing, violence, or cannibalism are normal.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:22 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
I missed those! Good catch.
The script is all too familiar, though I thought this was a nice attempt at sincere indifference to throw newbies off your agenda:
Quote:

Old 05-21-2009, 10:23 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristansmommy View Post
well.. Certainly has been here for longer than a few days.. :d

your last sentence is not neccesarily true. Does homosexuality occurr in animals.. It does. So therefore can it be deemed "natural".. Well to a point. Let's look at prisons. Often times men in prison engage in homosexual activity while incarcerated, but do not consider themselves "homosexual". However, they need to fill the human sexual drive and only other males are available to them. So sex in and of itself is a natural human impulse.

Now.. Without stating really wether i believe sex between two people of the same sex is "natural" .. The main theme that liberals believe in is almost the same with the abortion issue.. In that they may not like abortion, like the idea of having an abortion, would never have an abortion etc.. They feel that it is the individuals right to choose what it is that is best for them. That same argument applies to homosexuality. We may not understand how you can be attracted to the same sex, we can even say that we feel it is unnatural.. But we understand that that is our opinion and that we have no right to judge someone else for their belief or lifestyle.or prevent them from engaging in a lifestyle that ultimately doesn't really affect me , harm me or anyone else for that matter.

The common theme is that conservatives use "superstition" (religion) to supersede what is really just natural human behavior.

The key here is that homosexuality really does not affect you, me or society negatively as a whole if someone decides to engage it. Even multiple wives/husbands.. When all those involved are consenting adults, does not harm me, you and society as a whole. We may never choose that for ourselves, but we have no right to tell someone else they can not choose it.

However, violence of any kind really interferes with someone else's free will.. Because it is an act forced upon another person. Damage and harm is afflicted on someone outside of your self. Someone else's free will choices have been removed without their consent when someone commits and act of violence a killing etc. There really is no comparison between the homosexual or multiple spouse issue and violence inflicted on others and society. It's apples and oranges.

So basically.. When someone else's actions remove the rights of someone else or inflict harm on someone else..that is when the line is crossed and society deems the behaviour unacceptable.

Man is constantly evolving. God , if you believe in god, so created us that way. He gave us a brain to act, think and grow. For example, at one time it was perfectly acceptable to club a woman over the head and declare her your property (caveman days, obviously). Since then we have socially evolved and realize, once again, that that sort of behaviour is not acceptable becasue it again removes the free will that god gives us all and no one has the right to remove that. I wouldn't neccesarily say that "religion" is what made us evolve that way.. Becasue there are still "religions" out there that are not as evolved.. Ie: The religions in which woman are considered inferior and treated as such (and thereby their free will stiffled). I would say that it is the spiritual aspect of religions that actually bring about our evolvement.. The basic thread that runs through each religion (because they all have that basic common thread.. But the actual religion itself tends to focus on only one aspect of a larger picture.

We should not go back to our neanderthal ways..but we would do well in asking ourselves if our actions inhibit the free will of someone else. Any action that does, ultimately , should be deemed inappropriate or unacceptable. As long as someone else's choices only affect themselves and doesn't inflict harm on other individuals or the community, then it should be left alone to that individual.
a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
There have been numerous posts in the last few days regarding homosexuality and sexuality in general. The common theme from the liberals is that American's are "too hung up" on sex. Many liberals view sex as important to humans as breathing. Many liberals view homosexuality as natural. The common theme is that conservatives use "superstition" (religion) to supersede what is really just natural human behavior.

what do you mean by acceptance?
homosexuality already is accepted in society... it's just the laws that haven't kept up with society...
I mean really.. denying homosexuals the right to marry is going to make them and the issue go away from society? unless you propose some "solution" to take care of the "problem"?
you're rhetoric is tired.. I suggest you find a time machine and turn the dial back.... or keep thinking like that and get left behind....

Old 05-21-2009, 10:29 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,846,314 times
Liberals hung up on sex, like mark Foley, Larry Craig, or Ted Haggard??? How about liberals just aren't afraid to talk about it. Conservative gays will act like they are straight on the outside thinking about their next penis fix the whole time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies