Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:49 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont mean to sound prejudice, but I have encountered homeschool kids of Jehovahs witnessess that dont seem up to par with the public school. I was told by family members that they hs to keep their children from being influenced by the outside and didnt really provide education. But if the stats on these studies are derived from actual test scores of the same tests given to public school students I dont see how the results can be fudged anymore than the TPAC test scores that are given in PS here.

Netowli,
I dont know about every state, but here you must have at least a HS diploma to homeschool and the kids do have to pass a yearly state test to progress just as the public school kids do. There is also provisions that the public schools can not refuse to allow hs kids involvement in sports and other extra cirricular activities.
That sounds perfectly acceptable to me. I'm in NY and it appears we have very high regulations for home schooling. I did a quick search and it seems other States have absolutely none. There should be a middle ground. What you described sounds like it (pass a yearly test, parents must have at least HS diploma).

HSLDA | Home School Laws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 10:04 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
The ignorance in this thread is astounding! Using this kid to bash homeschooling is a joke. Go back and look at the number of homeschooled kids that have been in and won the national spelling bee. Statistics on home schooling are clear. If you want to compare apples to apples with public schooled kids, Homeschooling is far superior. Obviously this thread was started as a troll to flame homeschooling, so I understand that most dont want to be educated on the subject. Parents homeschool for different reasons. Some parents are terrible teachers just as there are terrible teachers in government schools. Some parents Homeschool because there kid is a misfit. Most homeschoolers homeschool because they are more commited to their childs education than those who just send their kids off to public school and let the government educate their kids. Homeschooling is a huge sacrifice, requiring an immense amount of time, patience and commitment, not to mention the financial burden that comes along with it, but for those who put a premium on their childs education all that sacrifice is worth it!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:07 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
The ignorance in this thread is astounding! Using this kid to bash homeschooling is a joke. Go back and look at the number of homeschooled kids that have been in and won the national spelling bee. Statistics on home schooling are clear. If you want to compare apples to apples with public schooled kids, Homeschooling is far superior. Obviously this thread was started as a troll to flame homeschooling, so I understand that most dont want to be educated on the subject. Parents homeschool for different reasons. Some parents are terrible teachers just as there are terrible teachers in government schools. Some parents Homeschool because there kid is a misfit. Most homeschoolers homeschool because they are more commited to their childs education than those who just send their kids off to public school and let the government educate their kids. Homeschooling is a huge sacrifice, requiring an immense amount of time, patience and commitment, not to mention the financial burden that comes along with it, but for those who put a premium on their childs education all that sacrifice is worth it!
I really don't see anyone flaming homeschooling in this thread, just asking questions and giving opinions on standards... Do you homeschool?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
It's funny but every study I have ever seen on home schooling was done by some one making money off home schooling. I think If a parent can home school and do a good job more power to them. However I believe there is a lot of white washing going on out there.

My children were part of a study done by the University of Ill. I had two grad students test my children. I didn't really care how they tested but the end results from the study was homeschoolers did better on the test.

The first real tests my children had were the ACT and SAT, both girls did wonderful. The oldest had a full ride. I did make sure they had all the subjects they needed to get into college. Plus living oversees they spoke more than one language which probably helped some.

I knew some homeschoolers that were being unschooled which freaked me out but after high school each one of those unschoolers turned out to be wonderful educated citizens.

Some homeschoolers are homeschooled because they can't make it in the public school and need the extra help. Others because the school is holding the child back. (I had both). Then some because of religious beliefs. That was not my reason but looking at what is important today in public schools, I might have used that as a reason. I homeschooled so that we could move around and I just loved it.

I have two daughters, one is going to homeschool her son and the other is not. Each to their own, I think they are both right. Parents' rights to their children should come first. EXCEPT when their is abuse.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:27 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I've known some incredibly smart kids who were homeschooled...by incredibly smart parents.

That seems to be the key.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:45 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
The study was done by Home school legal defense ass. You don't think they just might have been a little bias do you?

Nice potty mouth! Did you pick that up in public school?

EPAA Vol. 7 No. 8 Rudner: Home School Students, 1998

Do you really expect the NEA to publish studies on the subject when they are having it handed to them. On the other hand, if the home schooled kids were coming up short you can bet you would here about it all the time.

Got anything that contradicts my sources, or do you just do drive-bys?

Old 05-22-2009, 06:52 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,170,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Nice potty mouth! Did you pick that up in public school?

EPAA Vol. 7 No. 8 Rudner: Home School Students, 1998

Do you really expect the NEA to publish studies on the subject when they are having it handed to them. On the other hand, if the home schooled kids were coming up short you can bet you would here about it all the time.

Got anything that contradicts my sources, or do you just do drive-bys?
When I started this thread I was curious as to why a Judge would call a home schooled child illiterate. I wondered why I had never heard any statistics on home schooling that would show some problems with the system.
There are 2 great posts in this thread from parents that home schooled. Sounds like they had a wonderful experience with happy well adjusted children. However both did warn of other homeschoolers they had heard of.
I still have not heard of how many homeschoolers fail. Or if anything is done to help them out.
As far as your source goes it is the same as all of them, meaningless. Let see the questions were written by HSLDA the same group the did the other survey. The people that were chosen for the survey paid BJU for there testing and evaluation. Again this is a survey by people that make money off homeschooling.
I have nothing against homeschooling I thought until today that it was nice alternative for people that wanted that option.
Now that I have seen all the right wing neo-cons go into protection mode just for asking the question. I wonder what the problem is with it.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Reporting bias aside, I think home schoolers do "better" than public schooled kids for the same reason privately schooled kids do better on standardized tests: the students are "cherry-picked". Obviously, very involved parents home school. Very motivated parents are willing to pay tution at private schools. Private schools also have the advantage of being able to turn away special needs kids. I have never heard of anyone home schooling a special needs kid, though I suppose it happens.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:03 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No, I don't remember Danny Hauser, but what would his refusing cancer treatment possibly have to do with having been home schooled?

To answer your question, no. Home schooled kids do far better than public school kids on the standardized tests, which are required yearly here in Ohio for homeschoolers. Test results show homeschoolers are miles ahead of public school kids in all areas. Our kids always scored in the high 90's (percentile) when tested. That's a huge difference over public school kids.
Standardized tests don't mean squat if you can't hold a conversation or understand how to interact with people who don't share a bloodline with you. Just sayin..School is as much about the social interaction as it is the (bogus) standardized test scores.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:08 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Standardized tests don't mean squat if you can't hold a conversation or understand how to interact with people who don't share a bloodline with you. Just sayin..School is as much about the social interaction as it is the (bogus) standardized test scores.
The old socialization line. My kid, as many of his homeschool peers, are much more confident and capable of carrying on a substantive conversation with adults than most government schooled kids I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies