Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 12:40 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,790,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejuan2 View Post
Okay, I've decided to feed the troll.....

Why Americans Hate Welfare: Race, Media, and the Politics of Antipoverty Policy

Why Americans Hate Welfare: Race, Media, and the Politics of Antipoverty Policy -- Miller 51 (8): 1053 -- Psychiatr Serv

"White Americans believe that the majority of welfare recipients are black, even though the majority are white"

Excellent read
Of corse the majority are white, there are about five times as many whites as blacks in this country. But I will GUARANTEE you the percentage is much higher among blacks!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 12:43 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
This isn't any sort of a solution...it is just wasting time and space.
it may have been tongue in cheek on her part, but certainly it is not much different than the temporary jobs created by this administration, at great financial cost to our country. unemployment numbers are higher than ever EVEN WITH THE STIMULUS MONEY THROWN AT JOB CREATION. frankly, her solution would actually create more jobs than the administration has created so far......

Old 05-29-2009, 12:45 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times
No, most Americans hate welfare because it breeds government dependency. If I ever got myself into a tough situation and had to rely on welfare from the state, I would be very embarrassed and try to get off it as soon as I could. It has nothing to do with race.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:58 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Just because they're on welfare...
No Delus, not because they are on welfare but rather for the welfare of children.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:02 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's why sterilization works. Then the babies of the irresponsible lazy types won't starve (they won't be conceived) and they won't be aborted for the same reason. It saves money. Just think -- in one generation much poverty and crime could come to an end.
Those damn irresponsible lazy types.

I'm with ya. Forget sterilization, though. Let's lock them up in concentration camps and study the "irresponsible lazy type" brain. A whole new medical field could spring up!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:05 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
This shouldn't be about force, the people involved should have every right to decline the welfare and decide to work for a living.
That's right. When I put a gun to your head demanding money, I'm not forcing anything. You can decline to give me your money and decide to get shot.

Changing the word "force" to "decide" doesn't change the fact that you support forcing people to work. Isn't that called communism?

Old 05-29-2009, 05:23 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
That's right. When I put a gun to your head demanding money, I'm not forcing anything. You can decline to give me your money and decide to get shot.

Changing the word "force" to "decide" doesn't change the fact that you support forcing people to work. Isn't that called communism?
Legalize carrying loaded concealed weapons. QUICK!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:19 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
So in other words, the welfare have the government steal from us, or they steal from us directly.
No kidding. There are always jobs out there but I guess stoop labor or cleaning toilets is above people so they'd rather stick a gun in your face.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:28 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i am saying that thugs should be aware that people have a right to defend themselves. i suggest that people are defending themselves rather than defending a bag of food, and they have every right to do so. self defense will never be politically incorrect, even if some people want to try to make it so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcashley View Post
Legalize carrying loaded concealed weapons. QUICK!!!
Legalizing concealed weapons won't solve the problem. And if the thug cares enough to be aware that the person has the right to defend himself (and I doubt they'll care) than that means they'll be more selective of the people they start to rob. Doubtful that many elderly women or high school kids will be carrying concealed weapons.

IMO the government will never be able to end the welfare program because of the way it was setup. Instead of helping people it pretty much crippled them and we ended up with generational welfare, many who grow up with a victim mindset because it's not their mothers/fathers fault the powers off at their house - it's the governments fault, it's the white man's fault, etc.

So while 2 or 3 generations ago assistance may have been a last resort, there are people now who feel that it's owed to them and really don't have the vision to see ever having more than that.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
No kidding. There are always jobs out there but I guess stoop labor or cleaning toilets is above people so they'd rather stick a gun in your face.
Recently there was a Craigslist posting in my community...someone had advertised for a housekeeper. They made another posting the next day, saying that they had received over 80 applications; they made the post because they wanted to thank those who responded but they couldn't possibly reply to them all.

I think that we all need to be kinder to each other with the economy the way that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies