Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 12:07 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Not all openly gay people feel the same way on all the issues. Why should it be any different for someone who is alleged to be gay?
? I didnt say anything about alleged or out. The film says "alleged" to protect against lawsuits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
When a politician (or anyone for that matter) speaks out about what sinners gay people are, or how they're going to hell, or how they're unnatural, and then is doing the very things they are speaking out against, well, they're a hypocrite.

Do as I say, not as I do.
The journalist involved with the documentary used the example of Larry Craig as an example today, but I can't find a link to the video. (I'll keep try again later for those that are interested.) Craig voted for the discharge gays from the military. Yet he, himself, is a veteran of the military. Consequently, he was breaking the law of the land by serving. The journalist compared this to tyranny, in which those who make the law are NOT subject to the law.

The makers of the documentary have no problem with people being closeted, as long as they aren't being hypocrites, and also have no problem with a gay legislator voting against a gay rights issue, as long as it isn't a do as I say, not what I do situation.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:16 PM

519 posts, read 688,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
To be genuine, to truly do a good job -- in your work as well as when you're retired and looking at what you've done in your life -- you have to believe that what you're doing is true and right. See my earlier post re trustworthiness. If this is a foreign concept to you I cant help.
Way to sidestep the questions.

I'll make it simpler for you. In a democracy, we elect representatives. Representatives (gasp!) represent the will of the people. Agree?

Another groundbreaker for you. GAY representatives STILL represent the will of the people - sexuality being the irrelevant factor here.

So i'll ask again. Do you, or do you not, believe that an elected representitive should vote according to the will of the constituency that put him there?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post

I'll make it simpler for you. In a democracy, we elect representatives. Representatives (gasp!) represent the will of the people. Agree?

Another groundbreaker for you. GAY representatives STILL represent the will of the people.

So i'll ask again. Do you, or do you not, believe that an elected representitive should vote according to the will of the constituency that put him there.
That's not the point of the documentary.

The point is - don't be a hypocrite, such as speaking out on banning gays from the military, when you are gay and served in the military yourself. Making sodomy a crime when you are committing sodomy yourself. It's a matter of integrity.

Should a Representative lie to his constituents?

Old 05-22-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
That's not the point of the documentary.

The point is - don't be a hypocrite, such as speaking out on banning gays from the military, when you are gay and served in the military yourself. Making sodomy a crime when you are committing sodomy yourself. It's a matter of integrity.

Should a Representative lie to his constituents?
I'll take a page from the Homosexual Agenda.

Why is the sexuality of an individual anyone else's business? Isn't that what gays everywhere have been crying about for decades?

If the will of the constituency is such that a GAY congressman votes against pro-gay legislation, or vice-versa, so be it. That's what he was elected to do. Whether he prefers sex with a man or a woman is irrelevant.

Why do you insist on watering down the main tenets of a Democracy?

Last edited by Johnny B. Fury; 05-22-2009 at 12:32 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 01:01 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
When a politician (or anyone for that matter) speaks out about what sinners gay people are, or how they're going to hell, or how they're unnatural, and then is doing the very things they are speaking out against, well, they're a hypocrite.

Do as I say, not as I do.
Hell is a mortal concept, so are sugar plum fairies, Santa, the Easter bunny,and the devil! NEXT!

Old 05-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
It's right to the point, sorry. You're yourself before you decide you'll try to persuade people to vote for you as their representative, and during the time you're persuading them, getting to know/see them, etc.. You're yourself inside, while you're representing the people you convinced to vote for you.

Lol, you're presuming that everyone who runs for office is a hack.
A person should not seek elected office so that he can reflect on his own self-aggrandizing accomplishments. If trophy's on the mantle for personal satisfaction are the main goal of civil service, then as a country we are finished and doomed for failure.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:20 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,148,897 times
Quote:

Another groundbreaker for you. GAY representatives STILL represent the will of the people - sexuality being the irrelevant factor here.

So i'll ask again. Do you, or do you not, believe that an elected representitive should vote according to the will of the constituency that put him there?
It's right to the point, sorry; I'll try to explain again. You're yourself before you decide you'll try to persuade people to vote for you as their representative, and during the time you're persuading them, getting to know/see them, etc. You're yourself inside, even while you're representing the people you convinced to vote for you.

Put it this way. Say your mother was a Jew, and your prospective - or actual - constituency is anti-Semitic.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
It's right to the point, sorry. You're yourself before you decide you'll try to persuade people to vote for you as their representative, and during the time you're persuading them, getting to know/see them, etc. You're yourself inside, even while you're representing the people you convinced to vote for you.

Put it this way. Say your mother was a Jew, and your prospective - or actual - constituency is anti-Semitic.

Your concept ignores the very principle of elected office. Your example suggests that a politician should vote for the Jews because of his Jewish mother in law, when thousands of constituents prefer differently. That person would not stay in office long. You should look into the concept of Democracy sometime. And then you should analyze the real reason you go to the polls. It would seem that a politician should be a self-serving individual in your world.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:31 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
In a democracy, we elect representatives. Representatives (gasp!) represent the will of the people. Agree?
Quote:
You should look into the concept of Democracy sometime. It would seem that a politician should be a self-serving individual in your world.
Like this one?
YouTube - Cheney doesn't care 2/3 of America thinks the war is wrong

Last edited by helenejen; 05-22-2009 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies