Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 01:50 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If that's true then the will of the people is all about the definition of the word "marriage". Seriously? All this nonsense over a WORD DEFINITION? I wouldn't turn my head to argue about the definition of a word much less picket and protest. Why would anyone?
Yes it's about the DEFINITION of marriage. Because that would give automatic LEGITIMACY to homosexual unions and heterosexuals do not see homosexual unions as EQUAL to heterosexual unions and REDEFINE the DEFINITION of MARRIAGE.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:53 PM

355 posts, read 447,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I am a bigot. I do not support same-sex marriage, so by the left's warped up logic I must be a bigot. If not supporting this perversion is bigoted, if being a Christian means I am a bigot, if standing up for what I believe to be right makes me a bigot, then so be it.

I want to formally declare the word bigot to be positive. Such a word, when applied to right wingers especially, is an acclamation of intelligence. So bigots unite! I am a bigot and I am proud to be a bigot, because being a bigot is a good, positive thing. Not a bad or negative thing.
I am also a bigot according to the emotionally-ranting, dogmatic libs. All because I believe in God, adhere to Biblical scriptures, oppose same-sex marriage, and support legal immigration instead of illegal migrants that refuse to learn English.

My personal opposition to interracial marrge has certainly stirred up the leftists and the politically-correct people as well, even though I do not believe there should be laws against it. It has even been suggested that I am a member of the K.K.K., or a supporter of David Duke.

It has become quite apparent that it is indeed the left-wingers, homosexuals, minorities, non-believers, and Obama supporters who are the true bigots. They are quick to place all kinds of clever, fantastic labels on those that have differing opinions; and they discriminate against Christians and conservatives.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:53 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You misunderstood my point.
Sorry, explain please. Do you mean that the Bible often tells people to do things like pluck on their eyes....or that, when a divorced person remarries, she is committing the sin of adultery?

Old 05-22-2009, 01:54 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Yes it's about the DEFINITION of marriage. Because that would give automatic LEGITIMACY to homosexual unions and heterosexuals do not see homosexual unions as EQUAL to heterosexual unions and REDEFINE the DEFINITION of MARRIAGE.
So how does that harm you? How does it effect you -- in very concrete terms and examples, please.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:55 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think you're making quite a leap (as many do). I don't equate being against same-sex marriage with bigotry, but often, bigotry underlies the reasons why many are against it.

So, be against same-sex marriage all you want and I won't think of you as a bigot, but if you start talking about homosexuality as being unnatural, against "god", a mental illness, etc., well then, I will think of you as a bigot.
There is nothing intrinsic about the sex act of homosexuals.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
I fall under the group of people that are now being verbally persecuted in this country as "bigots" because we do not support same sex marriages in our Church.
Bigot is defined as:

Quote:
A person who regards his own faith and views in matters of religion as unquestionably right, and any belief or opinion opposed to or differing from them as unreasonable or wicked. In an extended sense, a person who is intolerant of opinions which conflict with his own, as in politics or morals; one obstinately and blindly devoted to his own church, party, belief, or opinion.
Stating an opinion or holding a particular position does not make someone a bigot. What makes someone a bigot is when they cannot tolerate any differing point of view from thier own.

Considering the complete lack of tolerance being demonstrated on this thread for your personal opinion, by definition that makes these other posters the bigots, not you. If you can tolerate other people having a different opinion than your own, then you do not qualify as a bigot.

If you are like most homosexuals in California who cannot tolerate another point of view without inciting violence or making derogatory statements, then you are indeed a bigot, just like them.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:57 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
To the OP, after gaining a better understanding of your position, I don't think you are a bigot. I think you devoutly believe the teachings of your church. There's nothing wrong with having a narrow and specific definition of a word like "marriage" that has a great deal of social and cultural significance. Wanting to protect that definition is even admirable on some counts.

Wanting to treat a group of people like they are lesser than you is bigotry. You haven't said you think homosexuals are somehow diminished as people and deserve to receive prejudicial behavior. You've said you want to protect a concept that has religious significance to you.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:57 PM

355 posts, read 447,087 times
Quote:
No, there is nothing wrong with you. Perfectly normal to view homosexuality as "gross" or unnatural, or even unhealthy. Just as I view anal sex between a man and a woman as unnatural and unhealthy.
This is what I prefer to read --

People that are not afraid to express their more traditional viewpoints openly. Liberals, who label themselves progressives, enjoy bullying us but their minds are obviously warped and their emotional rantings run rampant.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:58 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
But across the board Civil Unions, with the same benefits of "marriage" also give legitimacy to homosexual unions. Are you for or against civil unions? I only ask becuase everyone claims to be ok with that..just not "marriage" and I honestly don't see the difference if they both do exactly the same thing legally.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:00 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
There is nothing intrinsic about the sex act of homosexuals.
Doctors and scientists disagree with you, but I know that won't stop you from repeating the same old erroneous lines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies