Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:47 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
People are free to hold any opinion they want of another human.

It doesn't make them correct.
You are correct. Just because someone has an opinion does not mean they are correct. This issue would have to be studied. Tests would have to be administered to many people of time. Different kinds of tests would have to be devised in order to remove such things as cultural bias from the findings.

With respect to the intelligence of various races, all this has been done. These are no longer opinions. They are scientific facts proven through years of testing and study.

- Reel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 03:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Are there many highly educated and intelligent racists?

Yes. I don't see what one has to do with the other.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I believe there can be. I wouldn't necessary accept their analysis but I wouldn't discount it without hearing why they came to the conclusion they did.

If, for example, someone found a definitive difference between something in the brains of Caucasians and the brains of Asians it could lead to all sorts of new discoveries. However, it could also be used by some to presume that Asians are naturally smarter than Caucasians because of this difference. But the only way to know WHAT the difference actually means is to investigate and analyze, and some people straight up wouldn't want that because they see it as 'racist'. But it's not.
That's right! This is exactly what Dr. James Watson was studying and he was called a racist.

- Reel

Old 05-23-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you betcha
3rd reich
You nailed it, my friend. These folks were very intelligent and very evil.

- Reel

Old 05-23-2009, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
You nailed it, my friend. These folks were very intelligent and very evil.

- Reel

Evil is a little simplistic, isn't it? And pretty much all of Europe didn't like the jews.

Old 05-23-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Evil is a little simplistic, isn't it? And pretty much all of Europe didn't like the jews.
True but why is it simplistic to say that marching millions of them into gas chambers under the pretext of showering then bull dozing the bodies into mass graves evil? You don't think thats evil? Wow! What exactly is your definition of evil?

- Reel

Old 05-23-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
True but why is it simplistic to say that marching millions of them into gas chambers under the pretext of showering then bull dozing the bodies into mass graves evil? You don't think thats evil? Wow! What exactly is your definition of evil?

- Reel
Simplistic in that not everyone in the Third Reich felt that killing jews was their most pressing priority. Some of them were sick bastards, to be sure. I just have issues with coloring an entire population with a word like evil.
Some people might call you evil for killing and eating animals and say and feel it with the same conviction.

(I'm in no way saying it wasn't insanely awful.)

Old 05-23-2009, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Simplistic in that not everyone in the Third Reich felt that killing jews was their most pressing priority. Some of them were sick bastards, to be sure. I just have issues with coloring an entire population with a word like evil.
Some people might call you evil for killing and eating animals and say and feel it with the same conviction.

(I'm in no way saying it wasn't insanely awful.)
Oh, I get it. You are correct. Most Germans were horrified to find out what was going on. The evil was the leadership and some of the followers.

- Reel

Old 05-24-2009, 08:49 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,855,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Well let's see...

The waterboarding is torture argument comes to mind.

I think it's perfectly o.k. to waterboard someone to gather information from them.

Others believe it's torture. Is it right or wrong to waterboard?

Slavery is about human dignity - it's not right to inhibit someone of their freedom.

We also can't torture animals - Michael Vick comes to mind here. He saw nothing wrong with what he was doing. Some torture animals and put their lives below that of a human. Some see the torture of any living creature as wrong and consider all life to be equal.

Some things are right and some are wrong.

ummmm isnt waterboarding inhibiting the freedom of another?

Old 05-24-2009, 09:40 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,314,064 times
Quote:
With respect to the intelligence of various races, all this has been done. These are no longer opinions. They are scientific facts proven through years of testing and study.

Not really. The only thing that may be factual is that with respect to IQ tests black do not test as well as whites. But this says little to nothing about intellectual acumen. Why? Because no one can really say what exactly intelligence is. What an "IQ test" test is a specific and limited way of thinking as opposed to a whole range of other ways of thinking. So the test doesn't test for intelligence--it can't, no one's really sure what intelligence is--it essentially tests for how well people are at taking IQ test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies