Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 06:31 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,466,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
what a stupid law... seems that they are going after people because they are religious.. I mean how can you go after them for bible studies... and not go after people that have other gatherings at their house.. absurd! they should take it to the courts! I have little tolerance for religion and it's views.. but I'm not everyone..and it is something that is expressed in the laws of the land... as well as the right to assemble, and have people over to your house on private property...
Absolutely ridiculous....
Wow Boiseguy I have to say I agree with you! rep for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 06:31 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,340,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
How very ... Christian ... of you.
What has that got to do with Christianity???? Obviously, you are illiterate, when it comes to Bible knowledge. God destroyed a number of different peoples that were evil. He once gave instructions to kill every living thing. Leave nothing. That meant, women, children, all livestock...everything.

So, I ask again: What has his comment got to do with Christianity?

Old 05-23-2009, 06:37 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,924,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You did not just write that after reading this thread! Tell me your joking...or didn't bother reading anything. You can admit it, I won't get mad.
I'm not joking... why on earth would they be doing such a thing in the first place??? I don't know how having a gathering at YOUR HOUSE involving a party, tupperware or avon party is any different... the only thing that seems to make this case different is that it's people in a bible study.. so it makes me assume or wonder the purpose of why they are going after this particular group? and it makes me wonder if it is because of it's religious nature..
and if that is the case.. which I'm not certain.. but it seems as such... then it is wrong and discriminatory...
You can't pick and choose which injustices you want to acknowledge.. and if indeed it can be shown that they are being treated unfairly under the law... they ought to take their azzes to court!

Old 05-23-2009, 06:47 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,026,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
WTH............

The First Amendment, in part, reads,
'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,'" Broyles said.
"And that's the key part: 'prohibiting the free exercise.' We believe this is a substantial government burden on the free exercise of religion."

They're not charging them to practice religion. They're charging them to congregate and act as though they were a church in a house - which could be construed as attempting to circumvent property and zoning law. It's no different than people trying to run businesses out of their home with employees and whatnot.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
They're not charging them to practice religion. They're charging them to congregate and act as though they were a church in a house - which could be construed as attempting to circumvent property and zoning law. It's no different than people trying to run businesses out of their home with employees and whatnot.
I would agree with this notion, but what is a church? aren't church's on official registries or something? a simple bible study is NOT a church..
Selling avon or tupperware at your house is a business.. and it happens all the time... I can see what you're saying.. but it smells fishy.. in that someone making the calls on what is acceptable under the law allowed a little bit of their personal bias to come into play... I just don't see how having a gathering for a bible study at your house is anything comparable to zoning laws and "running a business"
seems sketchy to me... just sayin

Old 05-23-2009, 06:56 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,026,124 times
Quote:
I would agree with this notion, but what is a church? aren't church's on official registries or something? a simple bible study is NOT a church..
Selling avon or tupperware at your house is a business.. and it happens all the time... I can see what you're saying.. but it smells fishy..
My mother happens to be a pastor, so I know a little something about this topic.

To the state the church is a building. It's not the congregation. However, the state doesn't distinguish the two separately from one another. In their mind if you are congregating together and practicing religion, with people convening to a building, it's the same as a church, meaning it's subject to the same law as an actual church building.

I'm not justifying it, I'm explaining what the mindset was here in response to the wild theory that they were charging them to practice religion against the Constitution. They're not. No Constitutional rights were violated. They can practice religion all they want - PERSONAL religion, not hosted religion. If you want to host religion on a regular basis, that's a church...and you have to pay for it same as a church. Even if you're only doing bible study. The state neither understands nor cares about whether you're just reading and talking about the Bible or actually preaching. If such a law did not exist, they would have tons of actual church sessions going on in houses with them not paying for permits or taxes, parking would be nightmarish in neighborhoods, and people would complain.

Again, I'm just explaining the mindset.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:57 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,274,207 times
Quote:
I'm not joking... why on earth would they be doing such a thing in the first place??? I don't know how having a gathering at YOUR HOUSE involving a party, tupperware or avon party is any different... the only thing that seems to make this case different is that it's people in a bible study.. so it makes me assume or wonder the purpose of why they are going after this particular group? and it makes me wonder if it is because of it's religious nature..
and if that is the case.. which I'm not certain.. but it seems as such... then it is wrong and discriminatory...
You can't pick and choose which injustices you want to acknowledge.. and if indeed it can be shown that they are being treated unfairly under the law... they ought to take their azzes to court!

Well apparently you didn't read the thread or you would see that there are probable reason for what happened (if it actually did...probably it didn't) but hey, jumping to conclusions is fun too I would bet hard cash it didn't happen the way it was presented by WND so outrage isn't necessary.

Old 05-23-2009, 06:59 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,430,860 times
Quote:
Geez....the only source for this story is WND who got if from an attorney who has some pro-religion rights foundation. At least wait until you get some facts before forming an opinion.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Well apparently you didn't read the thread or you would see that there are probable reason for what happened (if it actually did...probably it didn't) but hey, jumping to conclusions is fun too
I'm not saying I know for a fact or not... I'm actually not jumping to conclusions in picking a side.. I'm just saying that the law is kind of strange... and how it was thrown at the mentioned instance.. and not at others that I would think would be comparable... that's all..

Old 05-23-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Geez....the only source for this story is WND who got if from an attorney who has some pro-religion rights foundation. At least wait until you get some facts before forming an opinion.
when did i form an opinion? taking them to court would make the county have to prove their case.. and if they can do that with just laws on the books and other examples to illustrate they weren't treated unfairly.. then ok...
I think everyone else is jumping to conclusions...
religion or not.. I don't like the idea of not being able to have people in my house on my private property if I so wish.... what I do on my property.. study the bible or worship satan.. or sit and do scrapbooking should not involve a "permit" unless what is taking place on my property is effecting others... I can fully understand cars parked on the street.. but that is a different issue from having people over at my house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies