Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 06:33 PM

20,275 posts, read 37,040,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Well, Obama is doing something right on this one. 4 years after Katrina, many are still living in the trailers provided by FEMA. They were supposed to be out by June 07 and they said they couldn't. This program is costing the tax payers billions of dollars.

Now Obama is saying the party has come to an end and they have to get out.

This story was on AOL this AM and there was a single woman with her SEVEN kids. I'll keep my mouth shut on that one.

I want to know what happened to the BILLIONS of dollars that were donated? While everyone one was so quick to point fingers at Bush all I can say is, where is the $$$ that went to New Orleans?

Each person could be living in mansion with all the money that area got.

These people need to get out and get jobs and quit demanding hand outs. They have been in these trailers for 4 yrs! They can't get a job and find a place to live in 4 yrs? Please!

They could have gotten FREE education and gotten a BA degree in that much time!

Katrina Victims Face Eviction From Federal Housing - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com
What those people have to do is to elect local politicians from the opposite political party. But nooo....all they is to vote Democrat for generations and generations

Well, I shouldn't be saying such things since I have a hard time choosing for the lesser of two evils among Republicans and Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:01 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,027,008 times
I grew up on the Florida beaches.
I won't list all the hurricanes through the years or the number of people who have lost their homes due to these great storms. NONE of them are still expecting the government to supply them free housing. Oddly enough, a great deal of these people lost their homes AFTER Katrina.

So...my sympathy for Katrina survivors has long been exhausted.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:14 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,289,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm still mixed on Obama but i applaud him for walking this out. I'm sorry but 4 years is more than enough time to get a decent job and a place to stay. Your life may not be fully back together but you should at least made some progress in substaining yourself.

With the stories i heard about those trailers why would you not try to substain yourself instead of staying in those filthy trailers for 4 years?
These are people who tore apart a building that was housing them. They were getting food, shelter, water and medical care and that wasn't enough. So they tore the toilets off the walls! Literally! The building was destroyed.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:17 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,289,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
What those people have to do is to elect local politicians from the opposite political party. But nooo....all they is to vote Democrat for generations and generations

Well, I shouldn't be saying such things since I have a hard time choosing for the lesser of two evils among Republicans and Democrats.
Exactly! Their Mayor was hiding in the Penthouse of the Hyatt and he flew his family to Dallas while the volunteers were going house to house. He was and is a moron and I can't believe that voted that loser back in. He literally HID like a rat and screamed about the 10,000 body bags they were going to need.

They vote in the people that they know will not make them work and give them the most entitlements.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:44 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,577,518 times
The residents of New Orleans reelected Mayor Nagin who is probably the second most responsible for the poor decisions immediately before and after katrina. (the first being former governor Blanco.) I am not surprised they are still stuck in the same situation after 4 years.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:07 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times
It really doesn't matter who was elected really;its been four years that the government has been providing housing;its got to end sometime.The country has many more rpobelms now in alot of other areas that need the resources that new orleans has been using;time to get cut loose IMO.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:13 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,620,647 times
After 2 years, Katrina victims should have been faced with the decision to relocate away from this urban cesspool or forfeit further federal help.

Federal help should have been extended past 2 years only for relocation for 200+ miles away from storm-affected area. Thus, a truly new start could have occurred past that point.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:54 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,344,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I won't list all the hurricanes through the years or the number of people who have lost their homes due to these great storms. NONE of them are still expecting the government to supply them free housing. Oddly enough, a great deal of these people lost their homes AFTER Katrina.

I agree...I grew up in Vero Beach and Hurricane Andrew tore apart my community but I don't recall anyone getting 4 years worth of help. My sympathy for a lot of Katrina survivors exhausted when I saw them on the news refusing to leave the places they called home. I don't care what anyone says - I know what hurricanes can do. If I know one is coming I'm going somewhere safe. This whole damn house and everything in it can wash away; I'll cry but those things can be replaced. Some of those people were just ridiculous.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:20 AM

519 posts, read 687,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post

It's only a matter of time before someone yells racism for putting these leeches out on their asses.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:43 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,620,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
This whole damn house and everything in it can wash away; I'll cry but those things can be replaced. Some of those people were just ridiculous.
You not only have an admirable intellect, but a very solid emotional intelligence. Reps to ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies