Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:41 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,701,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Religion hasn't been outlawed. Churches aren't being forced underground. Christians are not being denied their rights to worship as they want to. And yet, it seems that some Christians feel this is either happening or on the verge of happening. Why is this? Is it just a need to feel close to Jesus who actually suffered for his beliefs? Or is it that they will not be satiated until the U.S. is a religious state in keeping with the ideas of their particular faith? Or is it just a vocal minority within Christianity that feels the need to conceive of themselves as modern-day martyrs regardless of reality?

If you really want to know it is because they are the last group that it is OK to attack. Substitute any other group in you question and see what kind of response you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 09:45 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,580,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Corinthians127 View Post
A Bible is a Bible no matter the language. They could have been sent back to the United States.
They were contraband.

Quote:
Please point out where Christians are attacking athiests beliefs in public? When a Christian says one is going to hell it is usually always in private. Usually among other Christians.
Not just athiests but many people, as the recent election demonstrated. And then there is always Planned Parenthood locations.

And though many might only say it among other Christians, that judgment gets expressed in many other ways, so that non-Christians or bad Christians know.

Quote:
I do not see what is so bad about this, if you do not want to say "Under God" then don't.
I didn't say it was bad. Just an example of how Christianity isn't under attack in this country.

Quote:
I agree. Those that do not wish to have a Cross should not be forced to have one. But in many cases they are not forced to have one. There are many Jewish graves without a Cross. There are also, I'm sure, athiest graves without any marking... Lets not forget, A cross was not always a Christian symbol.
Yes, but a cross is a very typical and well-known symbol of Christianity. And it use to be that all military graves had crosses regardless of whether or not the soldier was an atheist or of some other religion.

Quote:
Yes a lot of soldiers are Christian but they do not make the desicions obviously. If they did I doubt those Bibles would have been burned.
Sorry that this link doesn't contain the full article, but if you are interested it's worth a read at the library. You'll find that many of the military, including those higher up in the chain of command, are trying to convert other soldiers.
Jesus killed Mohammed: The crusade for a Christian military—By Jeff Sharlet (Harper's Magazine)

Old 05-24-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
If you really want to know it is because they are the last group that it is OK to attack. Substitute any other group in you question and see what kind of response you get.
That's not true. People on welfare get attacked, fat people get attacked, "illegals" get attacked, smokers get attacked, Muslims get attacked, Jews get attacked, Republicans attacked Democrats, Democrats attack Republicans, Libertarians attack Republicans and Democrats, etc.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:51 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,413,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
We are speaking of what has been traditional for a couple of centuries, and in the last 30 years, you loudmouths want to suddenly call us obnoxious? Quite a twisting of the truth on your part.
Huh?

Old 05-24-2009, 09:54 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,701,411 times
Quote:
That's not true. People on welfare get attacked, fat people get attacked, "illegals" get attacked, smokers get attacked, Muslims get attacked, Republicans attacked Democrats, Democrats attack Republicans, Libertarians attack Republicans and Democrats, etc.

OK try it. Start a post with the topic " Why do fat people (some not alll) have a martyr complex" lets see the reaction. Better yet try African American Or Muslims?

Old 05-24-2009, 09:54 PM

37,058 posts, read 42,023,443 times
I think it seems this way because there are lots of people who "hide" behind the banner of Christianity, people who are just arseholes, bullies, numnuts, etc. who find power in the group. By defining themselves and everything they do as "Christian" they can claim Christianity is under attack, when it's really just them that people object to. They get followers because the weak (sheeple) are also attracted to the group.

What they represent isn't Christianity, it's just disguised as Christianity.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Your perception is just that and it is wrong, Prayer is a good thing, if a doctor just told you, you have a terminal illness and there is nothing they can do to keep you from dying and I came along and asked you if I could pray for you, would you say NO!! dont try to impose your beliefs on me , go away and let me die?
I have friends who tell me they're going to pray for me all the time. Some of my best friends are Christians, one is a minister. These are good friends who I know care about me. They don't pray over me or expect me to pray with them. They pray privately. They respect my views. I respect theirs.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
OK try it. Start a post with the topic " Why do fat people (some not alll) have a martyr complex" lets see the reaction. Better yet try African American Or Muslims?
Sorry, but if you absent the political party stuff, none of those groups have the dominance that Christians do in this country or can use the "tradition" argument, like irishvanguard did (Why Do So Many U.S. Christians (not all) Have a Martyr Complex?). This is because of the power of Christianity in this country, which many Christians don't want to recognize for one reason or another. Hence, the martyr complex.

And I certainly don't see those other groups trying to legislate their beliefs or already have their beliefs legislated.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:

It was only added in 1954. And in 2004 the Supreme Court UNANIMOUSLY supported keeping "under God" in.
Justices Keep 'Under God' in Pledge (washingtonpost.com)
Not so fast....

From the article:
Quote:
While all eight justices who participated in the case voted to overturn a 2003 federal appeals court decision that would have barred the phrase in public schools as a violation of the constitutional ban on state-sponsored religion, a majority of five did so exclusively on procedural grounds, ruling that the atheist who brought the case, Michael A. Newdow, lacked legal standing to sue.
Had the right person brought the case, it would be gone.

But then, I don't consider upholding the Constitution "attacking" Christianity. Do you?

Old 05-24-2009, 10:07 PM

22 posts, read 32,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
They want a theocracy....like in Iran.

And you base that assertion on what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies