Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:29 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,304 times

Advertisements

It appears that with the recent ruling in CA gay marriage is in the news, again. I thoroughly enjoy how the media plays this issue up time and time again while ignoring any possible solutions and/or other problems.

How about this proposal...no one gets married unless it's by a church. In the eyes of the state, everyone gets a "partnership" or whatever they'd like to call it for tax purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:31 PM
AUM

34 posts, read 18,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
It appears that with the recent ruling in CA gay marriage is in the news, again. I thoroughly enjoy how the media plays this issue up time and time again while ignoring any possible solutions and/or other problems.
I don't think it's up to "the media" to solve our problems, but with that said, yes, what you mentioned is being discussed. I think it's very likely that California will get out of the marriage business entirely and issue civil union licenses to everybody. Marriage ceremonies will be left to the churches. It'll be fascinating if that happens.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
A reasonable suggestion. Except that you're changing the definition of "marriage," which is not acceptable to the fundamentalists and religious right. I'm married, but never had a church service - and wouldn't want one.

I'm of the opinion that we keep the words the same - two people joining together in a partnership for life: that's marriage.

I think that requires the least amount of pain to the fewest people. And the added benefit is that the people who feel the pain are the ones who deserve it.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:

How about this proposal...no one gets married unless it's by a church. In the eyes of the state, everyone gets a "partnership" or whatever they'd like to call it for tax purposes.
I've suggested this several times.

What I notice right now however, is that people who support gay marriage do not support such a measure because they want to stick it to conservatives.

I mean, its really quite hillarious. Its more than just seeking 'equality'-its more like vengeance theyre after.

Many, many people in California were shocked and well, felt humiliated, that they lost. They were so convinced that 2008 was the year they put Christiandom in check.

Instead California sent a message to the world, loud and clear, that we will not give up our morals and we will fight tooth and nail to defend our families, children and posterity against that which we believe to be morally incorrect.

The irony is, all these people screaming about the separation of church and state, are the ones against returning marriage to where it came from. Churches.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:00 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,917,361 times
Problem is there's church's that will marry gay people?
The point of the fundamentalists is to keep gay people from having the word "marriage"
there's no way for them to do that.. there's gay married people already..
the only power they can assert over gays is to influence the law and keep them from legal benefits.. which is really where it counts most.. because it provides protections and benefits for gays who have families and children...
it really is disgusting... I've had about enough of christian principles... I pray that nobody comes knocking on my door with a bible or book of mormon anytime soon.. I just might give them a piece of my mind....ENOUGH!

Old 05-28-2009, 08:07 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,297,994 times
Yes gay advocates lost last time around and they may even lose the next time, but eventually they will win.

One by one each state will follow suit and same-sex couples will be allowed all the perks (and downsides lol) of marriage.

Hate will be defeated, one way or another. Regardless of how long it takes. In the future people will scratch their heads and wonder what all the hulabaloo was all about.

By the way, some gays are for civil unions- they don't care what it is called as long as they can have their ceremony and have their partner's rights recognized by the government.

I think they should let the religious groups hold onto the word "marriage" if it makes them feel better. In the end it is only a word.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:13 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Its more than just seeking 'equality'-its more like vengeance theyre after.
Vengeance? What is this, "Red Dawn"? LOL, ahhh, you conservatives, you're just so, I don't know, ridiculous. Let's put it this way: you are putting up a brick wall of stubborness in allowing gays to get married. Who sounds vengeful in this situation? Hmmm......yep yep, me thinks its you conservatives.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:13 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUM View Post
I don't think it's up to "the media" to solve our problems, but with that said, yes, what you mentioned is being discussed. I think it's very likely that California will get out of the marriage business entirely and issue civil union licenses to everybody. Marriage ceremonies will be left to the churches. It'll be fascinating if that happens.
If they get out of the marriage business, then there would be no need for civil union licenses - especially the forced kind, on everybody.

What is marriage to some people, the registration of property?

Old 05-28-2009, 08:25 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
The penalty for adultery should be more severe if the act is conducted with a person of the opposite sex - because this would be an assault on the institution of gay marriage.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:48 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Quote:

I'm all for that. Civil unions for everyone. Get "married" in a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies