Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,418,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Go back and read it is all I can tell you and see for yourself when the correction was made. Only after first denying you had ever said it. But ok, you finally made it whatever your motivations, so I guess that counts for something.
"Correction"....you mean that lame bit about everyone in the American continents is "American"? Your clever parsing of words?

Quote:
Regardless, sure they were proud to be the Confederacy. The Confederate States of America.
And thus it surprises me that anyone would want including them in with the military of The United States of America. Seems to me that it would dishonor them, what they did and what they fought for.

Quote:
Posting style wasn't mentioned. Fitting the thread was. Perhaps you should make your points clearer, if you don't want to be misunderstood (hmmmm...where else could that possibly apply...? )
You really do have reading comprehension problems, don't you? The fitting into the thread was part -- part -- of my description of people with your posting style.

Quote:
As was done when applicable. That is there for the record too.
Then why are you explaining to me that some of what was in your posts quoting me was really aimed at other posters? If you want to aim something at other posters, quote them, not me.

Quote:
Yeah, THAT must be what it is! LOL
Thought so.

Quote:
Good one, wasn't it? I bet you use it yourself in the future.
Considering it is insulting to many who do seek mental health treatment as well as being old and overused, you can rest assured that I have never done it nor will I ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 11:09 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,197,274 times
Bottom line folks: A wreath WAS laid at the CONFEDERATE War MEMORIAL on Memorial Day.

We do, as a Nation, recognize those of the Confederate Army, who sacrificed their lives for what they believed in.

All the other hyperbole is just that

Old 05-27-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Bottom line folks: A wreath WAS laid at the CONFEDERATE War MEMORIAL on Memorial Day.

We do, as a Nation, recognize those of the Confederate Army, who sacrificed their lives for what they believed in.

Keep that in mind the next time Obama does something you don't agree with.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:36 AM

10,238 posts, read 19,559,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
"Correction"....you mean that lame bit about everyone in the American continents is "American"? Your clever parsing of words?
Sorry if you are so dense and literal-minded that you could not discern that the comment was intended to stretch it a bit. Which (post #33) qualified by the use of the term "technically". In the very next sentence it honed in on the real point.

As it was, this main point -- in refutation to what you originally said and later denied saying -- which again ought to have been easily discerned was that, as regards Memorial Day as now understood, those who served the Confederacy are and should be recognized as American troops. And I gave the reasons (which of course, you lamely claim are tantamount to "refighting the War Between the States"). Whether in the same nation or not, both the Northern and Southern troops never denied that the other were Americans in the same sense as commonly understood and used.

What "correction" are you referring to? I never made a "correction" as per the above. It stood then, it stands now. Although you later claimed you did as concerns some of your own silly allegations...

Quote:
And thus it surprises me that anyone would want including them in with the military of The United States of America. Seems to me that it would dishonor them, what they did and what they fought for.
What in the hell are you talking about? Whoever claimed they served as per the U.S. military???? And I made that point myself...while noting, correctly, it has nothing to do with the larger Memorial Day issue in the context of a later federal holiday and the honor bestowed on all Americans of whatever war.

Quote:
You really do have reading comprehension problems, don't you? The fitting into the thread was part -- part -- of my description of people with your posting style.
Yes, I have reading comprehension problems with people who can maintain no continuity within their threads. On a related tangent, again as said earlier, your issues with what you call "posting style" really come down to that you can't stand it when you are disputed and called on it, can you?

But far as that goes, anyway, your opinion of my posting style -- given your own -- makes about as much difference as a pile in the gutter. You really need to get over yourself...

Quote:
Then why are you explaining to me that some of what was in your posts quoting me was really aimed at other posters? If you want to aim something at other posters, quote them, not me.
Talk about reading comprehension problems. Geez. Howe many times does it have to be spelled out? Because many of the points made to you were relevant to your own position, even if others may have also noted them. In other instances, I did address the other poster directly.

Quote:
Considering it is insulting to many who do seek mental health treatment as well as being old and overused, you can rest assured that I have never done it nor will I ever.
Well, notwithstanding (once again) that anybody can go back and see how this whole line started out, who started it, and thus the context of my own remark, I confess I enjoyed your imitation of totally humorless, self-righteous, self-important defender of an oppressed class. LMAO

Podner, I have worked with mentally handicapped kids (all the way from MR to LD to ED) for better than the past decade and plan to retire doing so, so spare me your nauseating, breast-beating, indignation. What have you done?

Old 05-27-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
What in the hell are you talking about? Whoever claimed they served in the U.S. military???? And I made that point myself...while noting, correctly, it has nothing to do with the larger Memorial Day issue in the context of a later federal holiday and the honor bestowed on all Americans of whatever war.
For one, you. In the link you provided that said in the very first sentence " Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service." Our nation is and never has been The Confederate States of America.

Quote:
Yes, I have reading comprehension problems with people who can maintain no continuity within their threads. On a related tangent, again as said earlier, your issues with what you call "posting style" really come down to that you can't stand it when you are disputed and called on it, can you?
You've moved past reading things into my posts to insisting your thoughts are my thoughts.

Quote:
But far as that goes, anyway, your opinion of my posting style -- given your own -- makes about as much difference as a pile in the gutter. You really need to get over yourself, podner.
Yes, I know, my opinion of you means nothing....and yet you do go on.

Quote:
Talk about reading comprehension problems. Geez. Howe many times does it have to be spelled out? Because many of the points made to you were relevant not only to your own position, but those which seem to be a common denominator with others who also take the same position. In other instances, I did address the other poster directly.
Once again, you have decided what I think. Thus my assertion that you are a pseudo-intellectual just waiting to attack or mug someone.

Quote:
Well, notwithstanding (once again) that anybody can go back and see how this whole line started out, who started it, and thus the context of my own remark, I confess I enjoyed your imitation of totally humorless, self-righteous, self-important defender of an oppressed class. LMAO
Huh? "Oppressed class"??? Where did you pull that from?

Quote:
Podner, I have worked with mentally handicapped kids (all the way from MR to LD to ED) for better than the past decade and plan to retire doing so, so spare me your nauseating, breast-beating, indignation.
That is truly frightening.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:01 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
Quote:
When it has no effects on my rights it's not such a big deal. When he does something that actively threatens my rights it's another matter.

For the people who were mad about this wreath thing (and I'll say that I think he did the right thing), well, their rights were not affected by it at all. If he tries to ban guns or something, people's rights are affected.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,427,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Precisely.
Which of course means secession was legitimate and the Union was an illegal invader and conquerer.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:10 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,050,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

It wasn't any big endorsement of the South or the Confederacy either. Some WH volunteer is sent to put some flowers on a memorial.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
OK. But, My statements were correct.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
It wasn't any big endorsement of the South or the Confederacy either..
Nor did anyone make such an assertion that it was any "endorsement".

The FACT is, this remembrance has been going on for DECADES - and, this is an indisputable FACT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies