Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 12:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

fyi advocating the violent overthrow of the united states of america is not patriotic behavior. it was not in 1862 its not now.
stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 12:22 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch
The weren't in the first official observance in 1868 at Arlington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
so the VA page i cited got it wrong?
rlchurch?
you forgot to respond to this one.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:23 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
fyi advocating the violent overthrow of the united states of america is not patriotic behavior. it was not in 1862 its not now.
stop it.
And the Confederates did not do so...they wanted to leave peacefully, Lincoln would have none of it. Killing 600,000+ of your countrymen in order to retain power is not particularly patriotic behavior if you ask me.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:26 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
rlchurch?
you forgot to respond to this one.
No it was just wrong. The VA didn't say what the poster suggested.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
No it was just wrong. The VA didn't say what the poster suggested.
You do agree with the information on the link to the DVA say though - don't you?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:35 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
For one, you. In the link you provided that said in the very first sentence " Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service." Our nation is and never has been The Confederate States of America.
The link made clear the modern day intent of Memorial Day. And what has been traditionally recognized. All fallen Americans and all wars. If you don't agree with the sentiment, fine. But that is the intent and so recognized, including those who served the Confederacy.

Eleven states of the South were once a part of the Confederate States of America, so in that sense for certain it is part of United States history and our nation...those who served it should be properly recognized in the context at issue. Which is modern day Memorial Day. And is...whether you like it or not.

Quote:
You've moved past reading things into my posts to insisting your thoughts are my thoughts.
Gawd, I hope not...

Quote:
Yes, I know, my opinion of you means nothing....and yet you do go on.
Who goes on...? Oh man...

Quote:
Once again, you have decided what I think. Thus my assertion that you are a pseudo-intellectual just waiting to attack or mug someone.
It is often hard to discern what you think given your propensity to spin in circles. As far as the last sentence *yawn* Get some new material.

Quote:
Huh? "Oppressed class"??? Where did you pull that from?
Well, given your harumph harumphs and the content of your statement, it seems you must think so...

Quote:
That is truly frightening.
LOL You provide more laughs than Monty Python's Flying Circus. Somehow I figured you would say something along those lines. But hey, ya know, some of us spend more time actually doing, and less time patting ourselves on the back for for being "sensitive."

Old 05-27-2009, 12:37 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
That many different locations claim to have been the first to observe "Memorial Day"? People have been putting flowers on graves for 100s maybe 1000s of years. What's to disagree with. It says what it says. The first OFFICIAL Memorial Day was for Union soldiers killed in battle and it was May 30, 1868. History is quite clear on that.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:46 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
I do not remember the exact word President Lincoln said but they were words of reconciliation.
Sure, Confederate Soldiers died for what I consider a wrong cause. However, once hostilities were over, they were welcome back as fellow citizens. The Civil War has been called the War of Brother against Brother. As a nation we had a difference and slavery was not the only issue at stake. The civil war did ot start because they were arguing against slavery. Slavery became an issue and Lincold used it to gain support for the war later. When siblings fight and one looses, must he be shunned for life or is it OK to simply let gones by bygones?

Many of those Soldiers did not even know how to read. Many simply fought for what they believed was States rights.

Also keep in mind that there were Soldiers in the North that actually mistreated blacks during the war and Soldiers in the South actually believed in blacks being free but they fought for their States rights.

To me to recognize the Sacrifice of a Soldier regardless of the side he fought for is not wrong.

I as a Soldier respect the enemy as professional Soldier. If have no problem giving my respects to him.

Col. Chamberlain ensured to show respect to the defeated Soldiers at Appomattox (misspelled? sorry) and I believe in the war between Mexico and the US the Mexican Army was shown the same respect after they were defeated in Mexico City.

What is wrong to show professional respect to the fallen from the South? I do not see anything wrong with that.

Now, to compare Nazi Soldiers with Soldiers of the South is not a good comparison. The Nazi Army was to exterminate a group. The Soldiers of the South actually were fighting for what they thought was their States rights. Philosophical views differed.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 05-27-2009, 12:51 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
From a different (yet equally relevant) perspective, President Obama had no business sending a wreath to commemorate the Confederacy. Sending a wreath to commemorate the Black Union Soldiers was a nice gesture, but I believe he went too far in trying to appease neo-confederates and their supporters and sympathizers.

Those post-war confederate traitors didn't just surrender and go away quietly. They enacted laws and ordinances that stripped every Black American of their rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. They were terrorists of the worst order, and to this day they defend all of that as simply part of their filthy "heritage".

Shame on President Obama for acknowledging them.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

It is often hard to discern what you think given your propensity to spin in circles. As far as the last sentence *yawn* Get some new material.
You don't have to "discern" anything. I say what I mean, I mean what I say. All the spinning in circles you claim I do is you reading what you think I think into my simple, straightforward posts.

Quote:
Well, given your harumph harumphs and the content of your statement, it seems you must think so...
What are you talking about??? I must think what???

Quote:
LOL You provide more laughs than Monty Python's Flying Circus. Somehow I figured you would say something along those lines. But hey, ya know, some of us spend more time actually doing, and less time patting ourselves on the back for for being "sensitive."
You know everything, don't you? You can tell from my posts, who I am and what I do. Read that into them too, didn't you?

I've worked with teachers with personalities like yours. They're bad for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies