Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 03:24 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I also noticed that and have decided I will never use Google anymore.

I don't think they will miss you.

They do one for the Independence Day and Veterans Day. Guess thats not good enough.
But for Decoration Day, what do they put up? A headstone & a flag?
I think the ribbon is more then enough for me.

Last edited by plannine; 05-25-2009 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 06:05 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,211 times
Google and other "Memorial Days"

Anzac Day (Australian Memorial Day):

Canada's Remembrance Day:

British Remembrance Day:

And for us...

Last edited by Omahabound; 05-25-2009 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Added Yellow Ribbon

Old 05-25-2009, 06:19 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
[quote=plannine;8977020]I don't think they will miss you. quote]

I am positive they will not. I have other issues with Google. This one just helped me make a decision to finally be done with them. A company will never change their ways as long as people do business with them. Not that I can make a difference. All I can do is not use them. I do not like their invasion of privacy with street scenes Google Earth.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:22 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,225,651 times
Come everyone!! To Yahoo!!!!!!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 06:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepersKB View Post
I agree, a simple yellow ribbon is enough/appropriate. However, when you hold your mouse over any Google logo/symbol, its significance is always revealed. In this case, it is not.
I noticed that, too! I was frankly surprised they didn't do anything for Mem. Day. Just last week there was a fancy one for some obscure thing.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:27 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahabound View Post
Google and other "Memorial Days"

Anzac Day (Australian Memorial Day):

Canada's Remembrance Day:

British Remembrance Day:
In those countries, those days are also called "Poppy Days" and people still actively buy and wear poppies. Is that still done anywhere in the US? I haven't seen a poppy on Memorial Day for years.

That said, I do like those poppy logos and wish Google had done something like that. But maybe most people don't associate poppies with Memorial Day anymore. If that's the case, what would you (anyone reading this) use on the USAn logo for Memorial Day? Maybe the yellow ribbon could have been somehow incorporated.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:28 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times
At least Yahoo put a little folded flag with medals on it next to their logo. Google's silence is deafening and speaks volumes. I've also watched the cable special on the folks who work there and the work place environment at Google. It's a nice place to work but everyone there is some hipster or aging hippy, so I'm not too surprised.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:29 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,391,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
In those countries, those days are also called "Poppy Days" and people still actively buy and wear poppies. Is that still done anywhere in the US? I haven't seen a poppy on Memorial Day for years.

That said, I do like those poppy logos and wish Google had done something like that. But maybe most people don't associate poppies with Memorial Day anymore. If that's the case, what would you (anyone reading this) use on the USAn logo for Memorial Day? Maybe the yellow ribbon could have been somehow incorporated.
Some nice ones were done up and offered to Google but to no avail.
Google Memorial Day logo (Be sure to scroll down...)

Last edited by Omahabound; 05-25-2009 at 06:42 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 06:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post

The Poppy days were in November, for Veteran's Day. I can remember when they were sold on the streets of my hometown.

Remembrance Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just FYI.

I think a Memorial Day logo should incorporate flowers, since its original purpose was to decorate the graves of the fallen Civil War vets. Probably a beginning of spring thing.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Switch to Ask.com and you'll see a much better logo for American holidays on a regular basis and less goofy banners for obscure people and foreign holidays.

Much better search engine also. Google is like Microsoft, everybody just assumes they are the best because they are the biggest. If that is the case, Wal-Mart is the best store in the world!

There are PLENTY of other quality search engines out there, if google is not to your liking, PICK A BETTER ONE!!!
Attached Thumbnails
No logo change for Google on Memorial Day-askdotcom.jpg  

Last edited by TXboomerang; 05-25-2009 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies