Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_native_son View Post
Ask "Joe the Plumber"? -- bad example.

I am a moderate (liberal on some issues, conservative on other issues). While I disagree with Carrie Prejean about marriage (I support marriage equality), I defend her right to voice her beliefs. Her support of "opposite" marriage was not intrinsically hurtful towards gays and lesbians -- she never explicitly said that she hated gay people.

However, "Joe the Plumber" has made hurtful comments towards the gay community. About a couple weeks ago, he said in an interview with Christianity today that he ......(in his words) "had some friends that are actually homosexual. And, I mean, they know where I stand, and they know that I wouldn't have them anywhere near my children."

Q & A: 'Joe the Plumber' | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction

I'm gay, but I have straight friends who are strong supporters of traditional marriage and do not support same-sex marriage. HOWEVER, even though they may not support same-sex marriage, they are still friends of mine and treat me almost as if I were family.

However, if someone (like Joe the Plumber) were to tell me -- to my face -- that they would not want me within one mile of their children -- they would not be my friend. PERIOD.

We can "agree to disagree", but do so respectfully. I do not support or agree with "liberals" or gay people "attacking" people of faith who do not agree with homosexuality or same-sex marriage. But I also do not support or agree with "social conservatives" who make it a personal crusade to attack and criticize every gay man & lesbian either.
So you support Prejeans right to "voice her beliefs" but not Joe the plumbers? Sure, Joe went further in stating his beliefs, but if your going to support ones right to have an opinion, and then oppose someone elses right to have an opinion, I guess that would make you a hypocrite...

They are BOTH entitled to their opinion and thankfully they both can be right, or they both can be wrong. Luckily we live in a country with 50 states, where each state can write their own laws on the issue and if you dont like where you state stands on the issue, your welcome to cross the state border to find a state that shares your beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Correction: Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage gave us reason to by exposing liberal hypocrisy and thier "blame America first" mentality.
In all fairness, Rush and Savage are about as bad the "blame America first" liberals.... They are certianly nowhere near any middle ground. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that conservatism is all far out lunacy or anything, but you have to admit that rush and savage are pretty far on the end of the spectrum...

Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Because Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage told them to, of course.
More evidence as to why liberals deserve the "attacks" they receive. If your going to claim that I cant think for myself, be prepared for the response..

Old 05-26-2009, 11:17 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
what passes for conservative is often fascist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism

Old 05-26-2009, 11:19 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
I dislike some liberals because they are hypocrites
And that is plenty fair. There isn't much that's worse that hypocrisy.

So is it liberal ideals that you don't like as much, or simply the hypocrisy of the actions of the individual? If it is the actions of the individual, then this is something that every party is guilty of.

This is an honest question btw, I'm not trying to set a trap, I genuinly want to know why there is so much strife between the two sides.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:21 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I read post after post about how people say the hate liberals and in general equate them to garbage.

Why are people with a differing viewpoint such a threat to you?
Because you're in power. Everybody hates the people in power. Have you forgotten the last 8 years?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:29 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,592,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
leftists didn't need any reason to hate prejean outside of the fact that she gave her honest [and asked for] opinion, which happened to disagree with theirs. that was more than enough reason for them to try to destroy her.

just ask joe the plumber.
Yes, ask Joe the plumber and Prejean herself about what happened. In both cases it was the right wingers who dragged them to the spotlight (McCain dragged Joe), and once they were in the spotlight the truth about them came out (both had lied) and then the right wing media accused the left media for exposing the lies. Hate? I don't think so.

Hello!! Don't drag people into the spotlight when you know someone is going to dig beneath the surface. Journalists will dig, because that's what they do. I'll tell you what: if the right wing media had not made a huge deal about Prejean comments, no one would have found out about the top-less photos, and her lies would never have been exposed. And she would not have been forced to lie about the pics either. The truth is that no one, except a few gays, took offence to her comments, but the right wing media used the whole episode for their political games, and Prejean was the one who got hurt by it.

And the same exact thing happend to Joe the Plumber. Did McCain really expect that no one was going to look into Joes comments and into his past? You can COUNT on the media doing it. If someone is to blame about Joe, it is McCain.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:30 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,581,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I read post after post about how people say the hate liberals and in general equate them to garbage.

Why are people with a differing viewpoint such a threat to you?

Their heros tell them to.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 PM

9 posts, read 39,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you support Prejeans right to "voice her beliefs" but not Joe the plumbers? Sure, Joe went further in stating his beliefs, but if your going to support ones right to have an opinion, and then oppose someone elses right to have an opinion, I guess that would make you a hypocrite...

They are BOTH entitled to their opinion and thankfully they both can be right, or they both can be wrong. Luckily we live in a country with 50 states, where each state can write their own laws on the issue and if you dont like where you state stands on the issue, your welcome to cross the state border to find a state that shares your beliefs.
pghquest, maybe you really are "banging (your) head against wall" as your CD status says.

Did you not read my post carefully?

I am not a hypocrite. I support BOTH Carrie Prejean and Joe the Plumber's right to speak their beliefs. But I made it clear that I disagree with Carrie Prejean, and I also disagree with "Joe the Plumber."

"Joe the Plumber" said that he has "homosexual" friends, but he makes it clear that he would not have them anywhere near his children.

If "Joe the Plumber" told me that, I would not be his "homosexual" friend. He can have his beliefs, that's okay, but he sure as heck would not be my friend. (nor would any self-respecting gay man or lesbian)

And you said "....if you don't like where your state stands on the issue, you are more than welcome to cross the state border and find a state that shares your beliefs......"

Well, I live in California. Yes, "marriage is between a man and a woman," but we also have the Domestic Partners Rights & Responsibilities Act, which gives domestic partnerships (same sex unions) the same state rights that traditional marriage has. Furthermore, the original Supreme Court ruling elevated sexual orientation to the same legal protection in the state of California as race & gender. Prop 8 DID NOT remove or alter domestic partnerships, and it left legal protections for gays and lesbians intact.

Translation -- homosexuals cannot be legally discriminated against in California.

That's also now the law in California. Don't like it? Then, everyone who doesn't like the idea of honest (openly) gay people being treated legally the same as straight people, should move away from California -- and "cross the state border to find a state that shares (their) beliefs."

Hey, those are your words.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Where is this? I've never seen a post saying they hate Liberals and equate them with garbage.
I have seen some the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies