Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:22 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
To name a few

Abortion
Birth Control
Divorce
Homosexuality
Pre-Marital Sex
Teaching of Evolution, origins of Earth, Sex Ed in public schools
Profanity
Prayer in public schools
Alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 09:04 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Goals for some and agendas for others....clever use of semantics.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:22 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Goals for some and agendas for others....clever use of semantics.
I don't actually care for the religious right very much.

Funny that you drew that conclusion.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:08 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I'll try to find reference to that lawsuit on the net as an example. Keep in mind this was in 1996 so it may be difficult. My HS was sued by a group from the religious right because:

We had a tepee during an Earth Day celebration and sang a Native American Song about the Earth (they said we were praying to the Earth Gods)
We had an afterschool club for Magic the Gathering Cards (they said this was demonic and evil)
We learned about and painted a sculpture of a Hindu god in Global Studies Class (they said this was worshiping a God)
Our school offered an afterschool yoga class taught by a Sikh (they saw this as some sort of religious instruction)

They actually bussed people in from out of state to the meetings held at the high school on this matter to protest.
Disgusting.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:54 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
Well, the "Christian" right wants the power to control the nation from their bully pulpit of inane, twisted, self rightiousness. That aint much different from the goals of the other Taliban, you know, the one over there in Afghanistan. Some posters are already coming to the table with their right wing paranoia, I wouldn't dignify their posts with a direct reply, these self styled bibical commandos are already waiting in the wings for their oppertunity to smash someones face in, reciting the Bible, they would bring down all the violence they could muster in hopes of proving their love for their God. In Germany, the Friekorps were the good little soldiers of the cross that were all to willing to resort to bloody violence in order to rid society of those "Christ Killers", the Jews. Most of these lumpen prole troops were Catholic, and steeped in their hatred for Jews, for centuries they went to the Jewish part of town to beat and kill Jews in the name of their savior, this was a a ritual that was part of the pre Christmas fervor so dearly loved by these monsters. Give me the constitution, it's been a much disputed document, but, given the choice, I can live with man's law, but not God's law, carried out by men...........

Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
What are, in your opinion, the ultimate goals of the religious right?
That really depends on who you're talking about; the leaders or the followers.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:36 PM

106 posts, read 197,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Well, the "Christian" right wants the power to control the nation from their bully pulpit of inane, twisted, self rightiousness. That aint much different from the goals of the other Taliban, you know, the one over there in Afghanistan. Some posters are already coming to the table with their right wing paranoia, I wouldn't dignify their posts with a direct reply, these self styled bibical commandos are already waiting in the wings for their oppertunity to smash someones face in, reciting the Bible, they would bring down all the violence they could muster in hopes of proving their love for their God. In Germany, the Friekorps were the good little soldiers of the cross that were all to willing to resort to bloody violence in order to rid society of those "Christ Killers", the Jews. Most of these lumpen prole troops were Catholic, and steeped in their hatred for Jews, for centuries they went to the Jewish part of town to beat and kill Jews in the name of their savior, this was a a ritual that was part of the pre Christmas fervor so dearly loved by these monsters. Give me the constitution, it's been a much disputed document, but, given the choice, I can live with man's law, but not God's law, carried out by men...........
Most of everyone (Christian's) you hear on the MSM are not what all of us are about. I don't want to force my views on anyone and neither does both sides of my family (father-in-law is a minister) or any of the people I go to church with. We believe that we should tell others what we believe and deliver the message when given a chance. It's not our job to beat someone over the head and make them a Christian.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:29 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,326,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
What are, in your opinion, the ultimate goals of the religious right?
To blend religion and government into one entity - which they of course would be the masters of. But really I have always seen the way right (or the way anything) as running on the same model as religion. Both require massive amounts of faith. There are some more corelations, but I'll let you all draw them yourselves. In essence, I think they want to turn [their] politics into a religion, and their religion into politics.

But, I've always thought of religion and politics as being two sides to the same coin. I think they are simply trying to combine both systems for more power. And let's face it, the game of politics is little more than a game of power, it just has certian rules.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
IMHO -
The primary goal of the leaders of the religious right is to forcibly impose their church tax on everyone as well as discriminate in any way, form or manner against non believers and deviants. They mean to replace thought with faith and science with belief. They are completely opposed to a government of people, by people and for people organized as a representative Republic. They want to replace freedom with happiness.

They really scare me.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:54 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO -
The primary goal of the leaders of the religious right is to forcibly impose their church tax on everyone as well as discriminate in any way, form or manner against non believers and deviants. They mean to replace thought with faith and science with belief. They are completely opposed to a government of people, by people and for people organized as a representative Republic. They want to replace freedom with happiness.

They really scare me.
As usual it is all about control. If you ever saw this movie: Jesus Camp
the most disturbing part is when the leader of this camp has the children come to the front of the room and confess they sinned by saying cursewords and such. The kids start crying and wailing. And the lady in control seems thrilled they are "coming clean".

For God's sake they are Kids!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies