Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 12:36 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
There were those that railed against interracial marriage just as there are those that rail against same sex marriage. I did not say EVERYONE, I said "I get the feeling that many here". In my view it's very much the same argument.
There's no connection whatsoever between inter racial marriages and homosexual marriage; just due to the fact that black Americans themselves are overwhelmingly opposed to gay marriage. I don't get how you are connecting those dots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 12:37 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Yeah, 'cause gays can't sit at the same lunch counter as whites, gays have to drink from sepaprate water fountains then whites, gays have to give up their seats in busses to whites, gays have water houses and German Shepherds unleashed at them during their peaceful marches.

You're making a HUGE mistake equating the civil rights era of the 60's to the issue of sexual preference. It was the black community in California that passed prop 8 in the 1st place. Silly little leftist.
This has been debunked. Do your homework.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:38 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
There's no connection whatsoever between inter racial marriages and homosexual marriage; just due to the fact that black Americans themselves are overwhelmingly opposed to gay marriage. I don't get how you are connecting those dots.
Polling suggests that minorities loathe likening gay marriage to interracial marriage.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
This has been debunked. Do your homework.
No it has not. Look at any poll, and you will see that both the black community and the Hispanic community are overwhelmingly against gay marriage.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
It would be nice if less government benefits were unrelated to marital status...

We aren't smart enough for that...
I've held that position from day one in regards to the "gay" issue.

The states have the right to limit or allow gay marriages, just like the states have the right to limit other "believed" rights..

The issue where gays lose the debate is they dont understand that citizens do have the right to limit who can marry who. We dont allow family members to marry family members, multiple spouses are just two examples.

Gays would be able to move further on the issue if they focused their effort on removing the federal government from the "marriage" situation completely.. The federal government dictating what "marriage" is, violates the constitution and contradicts the states rights to decide for themself what each state deems what "marriage" consists of..

Old 05-26-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Polling suggests that minorities loathe likening gay marriage to interracial marriage.
As well as comparing gay marriage to the civil rights movement of the 60's. This infuriates many black Americans. The dems better be very careful.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
No it has not. Look at any poll, and you will see that both the black community and the Hispanic community are overwhelmingly against gay marriage.
They are not the sole reason it passed though.
You can't pin the passing of Prop 8 on the blacks and hispanics.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
As well as comparing gay marriage to the civil rights movement of the 60's. This infuriates many black Americans. The dems better be very careful.
Speaking of Democrats, Approximately 2 Million Obama Voters also Voted Yes on 8.

Obama 8,274,473
McCain 5,011,781

Yes on 8: 7,001,084
No on 8: 6,401,482

Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Speaking of Democrats, Approximately 2 Million Obama Voters also Voted Yes on 8.

Obama 8,274,473
McCain 5,011,781

Yes on 8: 7,001,084
No on 8: 6,401,482
Only Democrats voted for Obama? News to me.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:46 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
I have no words for this.

Go figure that America is the only country that is still sitting here fighting over gay rights and abortion and national health care. We are falling behind fighting over these things. China and India are advancing and this country is sitting here fighting over this. We are going to be left behind the more we sit here and argue about this.

Yes, it is true. This country is focused too much on "me me me" and "I I I". Just because I think gay marriage is gross, I will stop them from marrying in a country that is supposed to be free.

Thanks to some of these people, America is being held back from becoming a more modern and progressive country. Look at Canada, Sweden. They don't have any trouble with gay marriage. They all have national health care and Canada has NO RESTRICTIONS ON ABORTION. They don't sit there arguing and crying about it.

Why do we as Americans have a problem if a gay man can marry another man? Being gay is a not a choice. You really think people want to be gay and be shunned by family and society and then in the end be denied the chance to marry the person they love? You really think someone would pick this? You really think that it is a fun choice to pick and be discriminated against? You really think that it is funny or ok or acceptable when a lesbian cannot see her partner of 30 or 40 years because of the "me me me" and "I I I"? No, it is not. Not in a country where everyone is supposed to be free!

This is a shame. A downright shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies