Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 01:04 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Iowa is officially more progressive than California, lol.
COrrection. Four unelected beurocrats in Iowa are more progressive than California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 01:05 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Iowa is officially more progressive than California, lol.
California above all else, cannot be boxed into a neat little stereotype.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:05 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
COrrection. Four unelected beurocrats in Iowa are more progressive than California.
That's how the system works man. Sometimes the system sucks and bans gay marriage, other times it goes through. Fix the system fix the "problem", if there is one.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:07 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oh man oh man, I just can not WAIT until you people who against gay marriage get your civil rights stomped on. Oh wait, like take away your precious guns. Boohoo!
That you find the two on par is odd indeed.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:08 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
One big reason the November election turned out the way it did was because the focus wasn't on gay marriage as much as "parental rights". It was a HUGE deal that schools were going to force homosexuality on children and tell them it's normal and that there would be nothing the parents could do about it.

The irony of course being that the very thing they were protesting is happening anyway, not being forced but included in curriculum in a very broad and general way. As it should since homosexual people go to school too and are legally getting married in some places already, which means it will still be portrayed as normal.

Homosexuals lost the right to be legally married in CA for the time being but nobody actually WON anything either. As a straight person who doesn't really care (altho I didn't support Prop 8) I find the whole thing rather amusing.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:10 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
This is not right, why should my rights be up for decision by the majority? Why should the majority have the right to decide who gets what rights even? I work hard and pay taxes like everyone else, I deserve the same rights as everyone else. I married my partner of 30 years before prop 8 passed and our marriage is still legal, but everyone should have the same rights, not a separate set of rights for one group and better rights for the majority. Who else is going to be next on the equal rights chopping block? Watch out if you are a minority, your rights may be next in line and who knows what rights they may pick and choose to deny us, ALL OF US, not just the LGBTQ people. WE are not the only minority in the mix, just the one it is legal to pick on and discriminate against. Thank You for thinking that I am a second class citizen that does not deserve the same rights you take for granted every single day of your lives.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:15 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
One big reason the November election turned out the way it did was because the focus wasn't on gay marriage as much as "parental rights". It was a HUGE deal that schools were going to force homosexuality on children and tell them it's normal and that there would be nothing the parents could do about it.

The irony of course being that the very thing they were protesting is happening anyway, not being forced but included in curriculum in a very broad and general way. As it should since homosexual people go to school too and are legally getting married in some places already, which means it will still be portrayed as normal.

Homosexuals lost the right to be legally married in CA for the time being but nobody actually WON anything either. As a straight person who doesn't really care (altho I didn't support Prop 8) I find the whole thing rather amusing.
Yeah, why should you care?
You can legally marry the person you love.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
This is not right, why should my rights be up for decision by the majority? Why should the majority have the right to decide who gets what rights even? I work hard and pay taxes like everyone else, I deserve the same rights as everyone else. I married my partner of 30 years before prop 8 passed and our marriage is still legal, but everyone should have the same rights, not a separate set of rights for one group and better rights for the majority. Who else is going to be next on the equal rights chopping block? Watch out if you are a minority, your rights may be next in line and who knows what rights they may pick and choose to deny us, ALL OF US, not just the LGBTQ people. WE are not the only minority in the mix, just the one it is legal to pick on and discriminate against. Thank You for thinking that I am a second class citizen that does not deserve the same rights you take for granted every single day of your lives.

As a straight person, I am sincerely upset as well about this.

Just now there are straight people out there who do understand your problems and are fighting for this cause as well.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:16 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I'm sorry.

Work to get another initiative on the ballot in 2010 to get it reversed. You absolutely have that right.

As far as the "majority deciding rights," do you have a better solution? How would what the people's "rights" are be determined otherwise?

Old 05-26-2009, 01:17 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Yeah, why should you care?
You can legally marry the person you love.
Please don't assume anything about me. I will never vote against homosexuals having the right to marry. It's just not my personal battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies