Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 09:27 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Some of you have your priorities twisted. First you liken this terminology war to slavery and segregation - WAYYY outta whack. Now you're telling me that ending a life is analogous to two gay people who want the right to call themselves "married" instead of taking advantage of what the state has given them. One has to do with ending a life; the other does not.

Get your priorities straight. Please.
Revelated, let me ask you a hypothetical question.

You have the choice of either banning abortion and making same-sex marriage legal OR banning same-sex marriage and keeping abortion legal. Which would you pick?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:34 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,021,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

You have the choice of either banning abortion and making same-sex marriage legal OR banning same-sex marriage and keeping abortion legal. Which would you pick?
Neither, because as I said, the government couldn't care less about the individual opinion. If I were the lawmaker, I would leave it to the voters. Whatever vote passes, that's it. There is no appeal, there is no redress. The people speak their mind and that's all that needs to matter; that's what I would do. I don't believe in multiple bites of the apple of an issue that quite frankly has no real implication compared to other more serious issues - like our economy, gas prices, H1N1, etc.

I already know what the problem is - the group of folks here don't prioritize issues. To them the only thing that matters is being able to call themselves married; they don't really have a valid reason for it, they just want the right to call themselves married. The point I've made is simple, and it's not a matter of personal opinion, it's also how the law decides whether to overturn such a decision. You need a basis for your argument. That "I want it" means nothing to the government. "I want to say I'm married" - so what? What implication does that have besides your own selfish desire (which BTW means nothing to the government)? None.

Until the day comes that the people arguing for this can come up with a valid reason why they should have it, the people will continue to vote against it. That is why it's frivolous to keep pushing. Whining without a justification is a waste of everyone's time. That's the bonafide definition of the word "frivolous".

Old 05-27-2009, 09:35 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times
Quote:
You're effectively admitting that it's a matter of terminology. You want to say "We're married!!" Guess what? You don't have the right. Nor should you.

You DO, however, have the right to claim the fact that you are in a civil union and/or domestic partnership with your significant other who happens to be the same gender as you. My point: if the civil union and/or domestic partnership affords you the same rights and privileges as marriage does for heterosexuals, what's the problem? I don't want to hear "but it doesn't!!!" Because I debunked that earlier. I don't want to hear "but it doesn't in my state!!!" That's debunked by your choice to move. I don't want to hear any excuses. I'm waiting for someone, homosexual or otherwise to answer the simple question with a simple, direct answer and not a smartass one.

If the civil union and/or domestic partnership affords you the same rights and privileges as marriage does for heterosexuals, what's the problem?

If you cannot point to at least one factor, your arguments hold no basis and you won't get anywhere.

If a state passed a law that I cannot have a convertible anymore, guess what? I'd move to a state that does. Not yell and whine that I cannot take advantage of this optional thing in my life (and yes, civil union/domestic partnership/marriage is an option, not a right). People have been doing it for years.

Do you think that homosexuality is new? It isn't. It's been around for decades. So why now all of a sudden people want to try and change marriage to suit their selfish needs is quite frankly beyond me. It'd be like rewriting the Declaration of Independence because we all of a sudden want to enslave illegal immigrants. I swear, some people just don't get it.

Such lawsuits ARE frivolous, because your voter peers already ruled against it; a judge upheld it. LET. IT. GO.
Heterosexuals are awarded 1149 rights and privileges that are not available in either domestic partnerships or civil unions. Neither one includes inheritance rights that are included in het marriage. If a het man dies and leaves everything to his wife, she will not be taxed for everything. If a gay man or lesbian dies, their partner will pay high taxes and most likely lose the property that is inherited. There are many more of the marriage rights that are not awarded to gays or lesbians in domestic partnerships or civil unions or gay marriage. I do know, I am both married to my partner of 30 years and we did the domestic partnership route. They are not equal.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:41 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Now you're telling me that ending a life is analogous to two gay people who want the right to call themselves "married" instead of taking advantage of what the state has given them. One has to do with ending a life; the other does not.

Get your priorities straight. Please.
It's not about priorities. It's about having an honest argument. You said that once the courts decide something, it should be over. Do you really mean that, or do you only mean it when it applies to the banning of same-sex marriage?

In the states where same-sex marriage is now legal, there are many who would like to make it illegal again. Would you also tell them that it's over and that they need to give it up?

Old 05-27-2009, 09:46 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Until the day comes that the people arguing for this can come up with a valid reason why they should have it, the people will continue to vote against it. That is why it's frivolous to keep pushing. Whining without a justification is a waste of everyone's time. That's the bonafide definition of the word "frivolous".
They have their valid reasons; you just don't agree with them. Many others do. It's not "frivolous" to keep pushing if they believe what they're doing is right.

In California, we've rejected parental notification for abortions three times, yet the same crowd continues to put it on the ballot. Would you advise them to give up and stop wasting everyone's time?

Sorry you don't like our system of government, but that's the way it is. Again, it's not over just because you want it to be over.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:48 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

Loaded question so you can come back with a ridiculous post.

Nice try though.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:49 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Heterosexuals are awarded 1149 rights and privileges that are not available in either domestic partnerships or civil unions. Neither one includes inheritance rights that are included in het marriage. If a het man dies and leaves everything to his wife, she will not be taxed for everything. If a gay man or lesbian dies, their partner will pay high taxes and most likely lose the property that is inherited. There are many more of the marriage rights that are not awarded to gays or lesbians in domestic partnerships or civil unions or gay marriage. I do know, I am both married to my partner of 30 years and we did the domestic partnership route. They are not equal.

Nor should they be equal.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:53 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Loaded question so you can come back with a ridiculous post.

Nice try though.
Funny...I'm against abortion and am certainly not one of the staunch supporters of same-sex marriage.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:56 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,860 times
Quote:
"All, too, will bear in mind this sacred principle, that though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will, to be rightful, must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal laws must protect, and to violate would be oppression.”

Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Why not? If you're gonna throw out a snappy one liner I'd like to determine how bigoted you are so I can determine whether to drop you on the ooold ignore list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies