Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Once again, how can a right that never existed be taken away?

I fully support elevating and strengthening civil unions to give them all the spousal rights and privileges currently given to married couples.

That doesnt mean that the definition of marriage has to change. Does it?
seperate but equal huh?

if you don't agree with what homosexuals do.. why would you promote civil unions? that is government sponsorship of it isn't it??? You're already contradicting yourself...
You're a mess... first you say.. the government should not be validating harmful immoral behavior, and then you turn around and advocate civil unions??? You've got to be kidding me...
You're a biggot.. it's completely apparent that you are now...
you have no basis for your standing and rants... you don't stand for anything other than semantics and pride... petty... really petty...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 08:40 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
so, I'm a bastard now huh.. and my love for my partner is bastardly?
thanks....
Changing the subject isnt going to make it go away.

And Im confident that you know damn well that I wasnt talking about you personally.

Like I said.

Its not about your bedroom.

Its about the Definition of Marriage.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Changing the subject isnt going to make it go away.

And Im confident that you know damn well that I wasnt talking about you personally.

Like I said.

Its about the Definition of Marriage.
then why did you call my relationship bastardly? and that if I was allowed to marry my partner.. it would be a bastardization of the word marriage???

that's pretty insulting really... is your love for your spouse better than mine??

Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
seperate but equal huh?
Still, not relevent in any way to this argument.

Any man and any woman can marry.

But not any couple(s).

Quote:
if you don't agree with what homosexuals do..
Never said that.

Quote:
why would you promote civil unions?
Because removing Marriage from Govt removes any chance that something as subjective as faith is involved in the conversation.

Or do wish for faith to be further diluted in govt?

Quote:
You're already contradicting yourself...
You're a mess... first you say.. the government should not be validating harmful immoral behavior, and then you turn around and advocate civil unions??? You've got to be kidding me...
You're a biggot.. it's completely apparent that you are now...
you have no basis for your standing and rants... you don't stand for anything other than semantics and pride... petty... really petty...
Personal attacks are usually what opponents revert to when they can't deal with the truth.

And the truth is:

Its about the definition of marriage.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Divorce Rate in Same-Sex Partnerships In Sweden (http://www.narth.com/docs/sweden.html - broken link)
Firstly, I wouldn't trust anything on the NARTH website. Anyone who looks more deeply into their "claims" knows about their unscientific, non peer reviewed "studies" and distortion of facts. Fairly typical for a religious based anti-homosexual organization.

Secondly, I looked up the original study:

It was not looking at "divorce rates", but a "divorce risk assessment" by the authors based on their own extrapolation and massaging of data which compared same sex "registered partnerships" to opposite-sex marriages.

The data was from both Norway and Sweden over different time periods last decade. Norway introduced same-sex registered partnerships several years before Sweden.

The number of same sex registered partnerships was very small compared to the number of opposite-sex marriages...and they were not over the same time period.

Comparing registered partnerships to marriages is like comparing apples and pineapples.

Sweden only just introduced same-sex marriage 3 weeks ago effective 1st May 2009.

Hard to look at divorce rates when the couples weren't even "married" in the first place.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:46 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
No need to be disrespectful and hurl personal insults.

It cheapens everything else you have to say.
You are the one who equated gay marriage w/beastility. You then went on to claim that you were gay. Is there not an obvious connection going on here that YOU made or did I miss something? You should be more ashamed w/yourself for degrading your own gayness down to beastiality. By the way, your wording in the above post makes me seriously question whether you are in fact gay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The courts are supposed to rule on what's constitutional or unconstitutional; not what's fair or unfair. Sure, there's some overlap, but simply because it's unfair (and I agree it is) doesn't make it unconstitutional.

I'm sorry man.
you're right.. I'm not saying that... the court did rule it unconstitutional... they also cited common law principles in the ruling.. namely interacial marriage.. it was already ruled unconstitutional.. so 52 percent of the population changed the constitution..
People need to see that the constitutuion never limited gays from marriage before.. these halfwits are going around CHANGING the constitution...

Quote:
then why did you call my relationship bastardly? and that if I was allowed to marry my partner.. it would be a bastardization of the word marriage???
Your relationship is of no concern to me.

My concern is the definition of marriage.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Still, not relevent in any way to this argument.

Any man and any woman can marry.

But not any couple(s).

Never said that.

Because removing Marriage from Govt removes any chance that something as subjective as faith is involved in the conversation.

Or do wish for faith to be further diluted in govt?

Personal attacks are usually what opponents revert to when they can't deal with the truth.

And the truth is:

Its about the definition of marriage.
no it's not and you know it...

Old 05-28-2009, 08:50 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
You are the one who equated gay marriage w/beastility. You then went on to claim that you were gay. Is there not an obvious connection going on here that YOU made or did I miss something? You should be more ashamed w/yourself for degrading your own gayness down to beastiality. By the way, your wording in the above post makes me seriously question whether you are in fact gay.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is confused. I had a whole response typed about the differences between plural marriage, incest, bestiality and same sex marriage, then after re-reading the post I was responding to, I couldn't tell if I was agreeing or disagreeing with this poster. So I deleted it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies