Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:10 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times

Advertisements

Interracial marriage was illegal at one time, I get the feeling that many here would refer to that time as "the good old days".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 12:10 PM

91 posts, read 315,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Hillarious.

After stating time and time again that judges should make the final call, proponents of Gay marriage in CA are now adamant about letting the voters decide.

Even though we've already done that twice.
Fortunately for those in favor of same-sex marriages (unfortunately for those against) this issue will probably on the ballots or in the courts until all states and the federal government recognize same-sex marriages.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:12 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oh man oh man, I just can not WAIT until you people who against gay marriage get your civil rights stomped on. Oh wait, like take away your precious guns. Boohoo!
Take away guns and there will be civil war. I hope you are willing to shed blood to institute that ban that right, I certainly am willing to shed blood to defend that right.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:13 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sray017 View Post
Fortunately for those in favor of same-sex marriages (unfortunately for those against) this issue will probably on the ballots or in the courts until all states and the federal government recognize same-sex marriages.
What will likely happen is DOMA will either be repealed or overturned, at least as it pertains to the federal government recognizing same-sex marriages (other states may not be required to recognize them).

Some people may bring state constitutional challenges to laws banning same-sex marriage and courts in those states may or may not uphold the laws.

There'll be more and more attempts to amend state constitutions to either ban or legalize same-sex marriage and/or to recognize those performed in other states.

I'm not sure how long it'll go on for.

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Take away guns and there will be civil war. I hope you are willing to shed blood to institute that ban that right, I certainly am willing to shed blood to defend that right.
So no problems with rioting over this then, right?

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
It would be nice if less government benefits were unrelated to marital status...

We aren't smart enough for that...

Old 05-26-2009, 12:14 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,843,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Interracial marriage was illegal at one time, I get the feeling that many here would refer to that time as "the good old days".

race relations comments from maine? really? maine? how are race relations in the only city in maine that has any race that isn't white? lewiston. how do the citizens of lewiston view the scum sucking somilians abusing their welfare system?

Old 05-26-2009, 12:14 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Oh man oh man, I just can not WAIT until you people who against gay marriage get your civil rights stomped on. Oh wait, like take away your precious guns. Boohoo!
There is a little thing called the 2nd Amendment. Having a gun is an actual constitutional right.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:15 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
what do you expect? you are whining about an issue that has nothing to do with you in a state you don't live in.
Like I said before, learn the difference between whining & making a point. Nope, I'm not gay & I don't live in California however that doesn't stop me from being concerned about it & caring about it. I don't live in a limited little box like some.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sray017 View Post
This is what I don't understand. If same-sex unions get the same rights who cares about the semantics? Why do you care whether or not it's called marriage?

If it's a Christian/church issue, then do you want anyone who marries in a religious ceremony to be "Married" (keep in mind many religions allow same-sex marriage, even some Christian churches) and anyone married outside of a religious ceremony to be in a "Civil Union"?

One problem though is that some states, such as Oregon, offer civil unions to same-sex couples that don't have nearly the same legal benefits as marriage offers.
Exactly! They should all legally be "civil unions". If the word "marriage" is important to you, get married in your church or by a minister. The government should have nothing to do with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies