Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 03:08 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,896,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Excellent post and I think you would find people on both sides of the fence in agreement.

The problem is, we are letting the government get away with it. We are blindly following our leaders not because we necessarily agree with them on issues, but that they go AGAINST the ideologies/beliefs/opinions of the "other side". Nobody wants to budge one bit for fear of looking weak or like a traitor to their party. We all know there are radicals on both sides of the political spectrum and unfortunately, we are letting these people (who are a minority) speak for the whole.

I tend to vote Republican and I was less than thrilled with the performance of the Bush administration. I don't think it was as terrible as most Democrats think, but I feel Bush sold out some of his Republican base. I know that I will disagree with the Obama administration on many things, but I made a promise to myself when I saw the vitriol against Bush and the Republicans that some Dems and uber-liberals spewed towards them and that promise was to keep an open mind on every issue and not to be afraid of agreeing with Obama. In other words, not to let the party define me and automatically blast the Obama administration with raging lunacy. This may sound funny, but I really hope that come election time in 2012 that I vote for Obama. Why? Well, if I do vote for Obama it's because I feel that he did a good job for the country in his first 4 years and helped make the improvements that are so desperately needed right now.

It's funny you bring up "taking a breath" in your post. I think this is exactly what the citizens of this country need to do. We need to chill out and relax first and let go of our outrages because these tend to force us into making poor decisions. Personally, I think many of these outrages people have are a bit phony and totally overblown. We need to live and let live. Worrying about who is doing what is useless, petty, and none of your business.
Nice post, as was the OP's.
Though I would nitpick with the OP's opening statement:
Quote:
Being a legal resident in the USA gives me a impartial view of the American Political stage.
Being a resident gives you an impartial view? I don't follow.

Really like the bolded part.
It just makes sense.

As for the outrage?
I am not convinced that the outrage isn't simply a result of the internet (a minority of posters).

Nobody I've talked to is as outraged and crazy as some of our more colorful posters. Most times, I assume many of our posters simple want attention.

I certainly hope our country isn't as unhinged as this forum would leave one to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:18 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,824,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Nice post, as was the OP's.
Though I would nitpick with the OP's opening statement:

Being a resident gives you an impartial view? I don't follow.

Really like the bolded part.
It just makes sense.

As for the outrage?
I am not convinced that the outrage isn't simply a result of the internet (a minority of posters).

Nobody I've talked to is as outraged and crazy as some of our more colorful posters. Most times, I assume many of our posters simple want attention.

I certainly hope our country isn't as unhinged as this forum would leave one to believe.
I moved to America without any pre-conceived ideas about the Republicans or Democrats. I have formed any opinions just on what i have heard or seen from both parties and both parties followers. I'm afraid to say that BOTH sides have partisan zelouts that just cannot see the wood for the trees. Obama is now President. For th3e good of America, every single citizen should want him to succeed. Pity that party politics, however, does not want anyone to succeed except "their man".
If Obama fails...America fails. I'm afraid that there are too many people out there simply trying to "Score Points" instead of getting America back where it should be....... The Greatest Nation on Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies