Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:23 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,208,506 times

Advertisements

General David Petraeus said this past weekend that President Obama's decision to close down Gitmo and end harsh interrogation techniques would benefit the United States in the broader war on terror.

In an appearance on Radio Free Europe on Sunday, the man hailed by conservatives as the preeminent military figure of his generation left little room for doubt about where he stands on some of Obama's most contentious policies.

"I think, on balance, that those moves help [us]," said the chief of U.S. Central Command. "In fact, I have long been on record as having testified and also in helping write doctrine for interrogation techniques that are completely in line with the Geneva Convention. And as a division commander in Iraq in the early days, we put out guidance very early on to make sure that our soldiers, in fact, knew that we needed to stay within those guidelines.

Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:18 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
General Petraeus is right.

Meanwhile, the town of Florence, CO, says they're fine with the idea of bringing the Gitmo detainees here to one of the many prisons that operate in the area around Florence, CO, which includes the Federal SuperMax prison.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:20 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times
Is this the same Petraeus that liberals were calling General BETRAYUS recently? And now you've got his back? I'll withhold my profanity-laden opinion of your types.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:24 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,326,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Is this the same Petraeus that liberals were calling General BETRAYUS recently? And now you've got his back? I'll withhold my profanity-laden opinion of your types.
So what is YOUR opinion of Petraeus?
Is he right about GITMO and torture?
If not, how can someone far more knowledgable than you or I be so wrong on this issue?

Ken

Old 06-05-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
So what is YOUR opinion of Petraeus?
Is he right about GITMO and torture?
If not, how can someone far more knowledgable than you or I be so wrong on this issue?

Ken
Ive been a supporter of General Petraeus from Day 1. Unlike liberals, I have never referred to him as General BETRAYUS. It is sickening that liberals now find the General an honorable person after referring to him so negatively. As I said before, I will withhold my profanity-laden opinion of these hypocrites. Disgusting.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Ive been a supporter of General Petraeus from Day 1. Unlike liberals, I have never referred to him as General BETRAYUS. It is sickening that liberals now find the General an honorable person after referring to him so negatively. As I said before, I will withhold my profanity-laden opinion of these hypocrites. Disgusting.
Actually I've NEVER been against General Petraeus - but then again I consider myself center-left rather than far-left. There were plenty of folks on the left who disapproved of him - but there were also PLENTY of them who didn't (probably most actually).
I think you are oversimplying.

Now ask me about Rumsfeld and Paul Bremer and I'll give you an earful - but General Petraeus? I like the guy and never felt otherwise.

Ken

Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
So what do you think of his views on GITMO and torture (ie that we should follow the Geneva Convention with the terrorists)?

Ken

Old 06-05-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
So what do you think of his views on GITMO and torture (ie that we should follow the Geneva Convention with the terrorists)?

Ken
I disagree that GITMO should be closed, which means I disagree with Petraeus on this issue. Does that mean i'm ready to declare him a betrayer? Absolutely not. Too bad liberals couldn't refrain from such idiocy when he was promoted to his current and previous position.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I disagree that GITMO should be closed, which means I disagree with Petraeus on this issue.
Don't you think he knows more about he issue than you do?

Ken

Old 06-05-2009, 08:29 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
There is no torture going on. Never has been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies