Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
Do you think the Pope follows every word in the Bible? How many people did the Pope stone to death last year? The parts that I personally do not follow by the letter are the parts that I believe have been fouled by human interpretation. It's difficult to look past man's 2000 years of interpretations/translations and to find the real truth. I look to within for the strength to do the right thing and my life is guided by God.

I'm not hypocrytical but I'm skeptical about what God's true words are because so much of the brutality that's written into the Bible was done by Roman's as a way to brutally rule over the people of the world at the time.

I know much about the teachings of Jesus but have not been gifted by His wisdom directly. Therefore I am left with my undying devotion to follow my heart and do what I believe God would want me to.
Yep...you just pick and choose the Biblical teachings that appeal to your hatred of your fellow man.

You need to find a way to understand what Jesus was trying to teach us.

You complain about brutality and yet...it sounds as if you advocate that very thing simply because of whom others choose to love.

And...

Quote:
I know much about the teachings of Jesus but have not been gifted by His wisdom directly.
That's only because you aren't receptive to it.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:46 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yep...you just pick and choose the Biblical teachings that appeal to your hatred of your fellow man.

You need to find a way to understand what Jesus was trying to teach us.

You complain about brutality and yet...it sounds as if you advocate that very thing simply because of whom others choose to love.

And...

That's only because you aren't receptive to it.
I've chosen the passages of the Bible I believe reflect the true word of God. This is just one example of many passages that I believe in and the stoning is just one small example of one that I don't. I don't do this because it's what best suits my personal needs because my personal needs have nothing to do with it.

God killed a man's son because the man himself commited a sin against God. God's punishment was to kill the man's son. Does this mean that God had a hatred towards this man's son? No, of course not. Was he supporting brutality towards man? Again, of course not. God put another man's eyes out because he simply looked upon a city he wasn't supposed to....then he turned the other person into a pillar of salt (story sound familiar?). Does that again mean that God advocates brutality against man? Again, no it does not. It does however describe God's willingness to punish those who do not abide by His word.

That's what I'm trying to point out to gay people about gay marriage and the gay lifestyle....you'll get away with it here on earth but I hope you aren't still feeling the same way on Judgement Day.

I believe I've shown I'm more open/receptive to the word of God than most people you'll find. The growing popular opinion in this country is that gay marriage is ok. It would be easy for me to just go along with this idea since I agree it's probably inevitable that it will eventually be legalized everywhere. However, I'm willing to stick by what I feel is the true word of God and that is to oppose gay marriage as He wants us to. Being receptive to God's teachings doesn't just mean to love everyone equally and blindly but to reach out to sinners and try to bring them closer to God.

That is exacty what I'm doing. It's unfortunate that you are not.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I've chosen the passages of the Bible I believe reflect the true word of God.
And? You've already established that you've decided to reject the Biblical teachings that don't appeal to you.

Doall so called Christians have that same right? There might be some that believe that some of the Bible passages concerning homosexuality are not really the word of God but rather the bias of the men who wrote the Bible.

Quote:
Being receptive to God's teachings doesn't just mean to love everyone equally and blindly but to reach out to sinners and try to bring them closer to God.
Oh, I see. You're reaching out to them by...in your own words...persecuting

them.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 PM
pba

Quote:
And? You've already established that you've decided to reject the Biblical teachings that don't appeal to you.

Doall so called Christians have that same right? There might be some that believe that some of the Bible passages concerning homosexuality are not really the word of God but rather the bias of the men who wrote the Bible.

Oh, I see. You're reaching out to them by...in your own words...persecuting

them.
No, it's not the ones that do not appeal to me. I've accepted quite a few that do not personally appeal to me. There are just some that I don't believe reflect the true word of God.

That's the third time I've had to tell you that. Should I explain this in a more simplified way for you?

Yes, everyone has the right to believe whatever they would like. If people believe that God really does support gays and gay marriage then they are entitled to believe this. However, people who believe the way I do hold the majority right now so I'm not very concerned about people who believe that.

Persecute - To oppress or harass with ill-treatment, especially because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or beliefs.

Yes, that's an accurate description. God himself has persecuted people and will continue to do so. That doesn't mean persecution is always a bad thing....not if you have God on your side, which I do. Not saying that pridefully to boast but simply stating something that I truly believe in.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
That's the third time I've had to tell you that. Should I explain this in a more simplified way for you?
Nah; you've explained yourself quite well and shown yourself to be an ignorant bigot quite clearly. Too bad you have to use Jesus as a crutch.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:20 PM
pba

Quote:
Nah; you've explained yourself quite well and shown yourself to be an ignorant bigot quite clearly. Too bad you have to use Jesus as a crutch.
Ignorant? No.

Bigot? Yes.

Using Jesus as a crutch? Yes. I need Jesus in my life. That's a crude way to put it but I wouldn't expect more from you. I would hope you're capable of more but you havne't proven it so far.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Ignorant? No.

Bigot? Yes.

Using Jesus as a crutch? Yes. I need Jesus in my life. That's a crude way to put it but I wouldn't expect more from you. I would hope you're capable of more but you havne't proven it so far.
I don't feel I have to "prove" anything to you. But I do think it's a shame that you have no real relationship with Jesus. It's obvious that the only god you recognize is yourself. Good luck with that.

Try to understand that those of us who believe that civil rights should not be denied to the citizens of our country because of the...religious beliefs of others...won't be going quietly into the night anytime soon.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:33 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,908 times
Maybe all of the religions got it all wrong. Native Americans talk of the spirit that moves through all living things. Maybe God is a life force, energy.
It would make sense that energy is eternal. Even before the Big Bang, there had to be something.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:21 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
I said 'originally' written so that means the FIRST language it was written in. The common language of the people in the area of Israel at the time was Aramaic. Is that really so hard to understand? Why is it that you feel it necessary to argue with everything I say? Were you there when the Bible was first written? No! Was I? No! Can I draw a reasonable conclusion that the Bible was probably written in Aramaic? Yes! Why argue that point? What does it gain?
I know what you said and I know that you are wrong. The OT was written entirely in Hebrew. It comes almost word for word from the Jewish scripture. I say almost word for word because there ARE significant differences that a Hebrew scholar could point out to you. A few books of the NT were probably written in Aramaic. Those would be the earliest written. But the majority of the NT was written much later - some who study such things as the age of documents believe as much as 100 years after the death and resurrection of Christ Jesus - and those were written in Greek. Not translated to Greek - originally written in Greek.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:32 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,752,146 times
Quote:
Sorry but I didn't catch your last ridiculous line until now. Let me replace the word gay with 'serial killers' and see if you still agree with your own statement.

I am quite straight and disagree with your views on serial killers. They cannot help nor change the temperament that they were endowed with by their Creator, nor should they. It would be against the Will of God, who obviously created them as serial killers for His own reasons. It is not always ours to know how the Hand of God moves, but merely to have Faith and accept His decisions.

So going by your idiotic reasoning we should embrace serial killers, accept them for who they are and not try to discriminate against them? Of course we shouldn't. The childish thought that everything God creates is perfect is simply ridiculous.....there's always 'free will' that allows people to deviate away from the word of God not to mention the negative influences adults can place on young children where they can be raised to be bad people.

You really need to take a step back and think things through before you put forth such an inferior argument.
Could you possibly be more ridiculous and insulting in your comparisons? Possibly, maybe even probably. But I think it is YOU that needs to take a step back and think things through before equating gay men with 'serial killers'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies