Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Legacy Admissions and Gentleman's C are two of the most significant forms of "affirmative action" ever devised.
Neither of these have anything to do with affirmative action as it is legally defined...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:08 AM

305 posts, read 539,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Even the socially liberal Economist magazine has suggested that Affirmative Action (TM) is a failure.

Legacy Admissions/The Good Old Boy Network

Oldest form of Affirmative Action in the books.

If we ditch affirmative action, ditch ALL forms of affirmative action.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Neither of these have anything to do with affirmative action as it is legally defined...
Perhaps not as it's legally defined, but it's affirmative action just the same.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Affirmative action is wrong. Why should anything be based on the color of one's skin? How can one support any special treatment for my orthopedic surgeon's son (who is black) over my plumber's son (who is white)?
And at the same time...why should the C student whose father donated a building to Harvard get admitted when someone with all A's and a 99th percentile SAT doesn't?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
to pull yourself up by your bootstraps! We will tell you to do what our grandparents and parents did; study hard, apply yourself, get into a good college and the sky is the limit. Of course we don't mean it. We think everyone should go to Harvard, Yale or Princeton, but only as a legacy.

The "work hard, study hard" is just what we say to make ourselves feel like the good "Christians" we profess to be. But when it comes down to it; when you have studied hard, made law review, gotten a Phi Beta Kappa key, graduated summa-***-laude, and succeeded in your chosen field. Then we only have one phrase to describe your "success".

Affirmative Action.

Signed The Republican Party

Rush Limbaugh, Generalissimo.
Flaws with your argument.
1) You claim that the Rush claims that one needs to "get into a good college" to be successful, Rush is not a college graduate, I'm sure he's more "successful" than any of us here
2) Your grandparents told you that sky was the limit, thats because your grandparents didnt have Democrats telling you that there was a limit, both on the bottom, and the top. They didnt live by the same hate towards those who "reach the sky"..
3) The obvious, Rush never made such claims
4) Work hard, study hard, isnt that the reason Obama is president? You claim that it isnt due to affirmative action, I agree, its due to hard work, and then you go and criticize hard work and those who reach the sky. Which is it?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoughton View Post
And at the same time...why should the C student whose father donated a building to Harvard get admitted when someone with all A's and a 99th percentile SAT doesn't?
That is Harvard's decision isn't it? It is not something forced by the government. Harvard is a private institution and the government should not be dictating who it can let in and who it cannot let in....

Why should an athlete be admitted to Stanford when someone with all A's and a 99th percentile SAT not be admitted? Should that be banned as well? When the government starts intervening, how does it know when to stop?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Even the socially liberal Economist magazine has suggested that Affirmative Action (TM) is a failure.
Nice case of attempted tread hijacking since the thread has nothing to do with promoting affirmative action. In fact the OP's position is quite the contrary, as he points out how successful minorities such as Sotomayor have proven themselves at the highest levels of their endeavors and are still accused of being recipients of unfair favoritism.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:32 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Even Liberals Admit Affirmative Action Failure by Steven Hayward

Old 05-27-2009, 03:55 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,849,962 times
pghquest (who still needs a remedial reading class) wrote;
Quote:
Flaws with your argument.
1) You claim that the Rush claims that one needs to "get into a good college" to be successful, Rush is not a college graduate, I'm sure he's more "successful" than any of us here
2) Your grandparents told you that sky was the limit, thats because your grandparents didnt have Democrats telling you that there was a limit, both on the bottom, and the top. They didnt live by the same hate towards those who "reach the sky"..
3) The obvious, Rush never made such claims
4) Work hard, study hard, isnt that the reason Obama is president? You claim that it isnt due to affirmative action, I agree, its due to hard work, and then you go and criticize hard work and those who reach the sky. Which is it?

1. Nope, I never said Rush said it, implicit in my post is his argument argument to minorities to do so.

2. Again, I never said "my" grandparents said it. It's implicit in the "coda" of upper and upper middle class Americans; "my family made it through hard work so can you".

3. What claims? He's often said tha Obama is our first affirmative action President and said that Sotomayor is an aa Justice nominee.

4. Maybe You're not ready for remedial reading, beginning reading might be a better place to start. I wonder how many of your posts, and Rush's radio shows take the opposite tack regarding how Obama got where he is. Which is exactly what this thread is all about. I didn't criticize hard work, I criticized those who tell minorities to work and study hard, and when they do, and are successful, they are criticized for being "aa" hires.

golfgod

Old 05-27-2009, 05:06 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,549 times
Rush Limbaugh--Oxytoxin Pain Killers
George Bush--Alcohol
McCain--Anger

Why count any of those people as "thinkers?"

What more needs to be said?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies