Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 10:43 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times

Advertisements

When an office supervisor hung and American flag in the office, and one of her office-mates filed a complaint (yes, really), upper management took the flag down. They later reversed themselves and let her put the flag back up.

What should the manager's response have been?

"Grow a thicker skin."

There, problem solved.

If someone doesn't like something that's completely normal and not the least bit offensive, then it's their problem, not the flag-owner's problem.

Suppose someone had said they don't like the color blue (or insert your own color here). Then when a colleague comes to work wearing a blue shirt and pants, the whiner insists that that color "offends him" and demands the the worker never wear blue again in the office.

The reply would be obvious: There's nothing offensive about the color, and you're the one with the problem, not the guy wearing blue. Quit acting like an idiot.

Putting an American flag in an office, is just as inoffensive as wearing a blue shirt and pants, regardless of what some whiner says. Why isn't the reply the same?

-------------------------------------

U.S. Flag Found on Floor After Emigrant Complains | NBC Dallas-Fort Worth

U.S. Flag Found on Floor After Emigrant Complains

Employee invited to rehang flag

By FRANK HEINZ
Updated 11:15 AM CDT, Wed, May 27, 2009

An Arlington woman has now been invited to rehang her U.S. flag after first being told to remove it following a coworker's complaint.

Debbie McLucas, a hospital supervisor at Kindred Hospital in Mansfield, hung a 3x5-foot U.S. flag in the office she shares with three other supervisors just before Memorial Day.

The timely display of U.S. patriotism was not welcomed by one of McLucas' office mates and she was told it had to come down, CBS 11 reported.

The coworker, who emigrated to America from Africa 14 years ago, was apparently so bothered by the timely display that a complaint was filed with upper management. When McLucas, whose daughter is serving in Iraq as a combat medic, was told of the "infraction," she was stunned.

McLucas said her supervisor removed the flag for her and placed it on the floor -- an egregious breach of flag etiquette, aside from being an offensive gesture to most Americans. McLucas was then told that the flag flying outside of the building would have to satisfy her patriotic needs.

Susan Moss, vice president with Kindred Healthcare, said in a statement Wednesday that the issue was with the size of the flag and not what it symbolized.

"We have invited the employee to put the flag back up. We share their love of country and we appreciate the service of their family members as well as all members of the armed forces," Moss said. "This was an isolated incident between two employees that we are working to resolve amicably."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
wow.

Understand, however, if the roles were reversed (subordinate having US flag up) and the supervisor's call to have it taken down is not overruled by HR, there is and should not be any legal standing. This is a business workplace, not a ballgame, war memorial, or federal building.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:50 AM

683 posts, read 824,935 times
I'm offended by billboards in Texas written in Spanish rather than English. I want them all taken down immediately. Who can I sue???

Old 05-27-2009, 10:51 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
I'm offended by billboards in Texas written in Spanish rather than English. I want them all taken down immediately. Who can I sue???
If the billboards are from private companies, you can do butkus (well, except trying to boycott their product/service)

Old 05-27-2009, 10:52 AM

807 posts, read 1,302,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
Agreed.. I live in California, and they are EVERYWHERE!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:10 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
The issue I have is why this woman was bothered by the display??? Was it too big or was it that she hates the flag?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:04 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
The issue I have is why this woman was bothered by the display??? Was it too big or was it that she hates the flag?
Quote:
Susan Moss, vice president with Kindred Healthcare, said in a statement Wednesday that the issue was with the size of the flag and not what it symbolized.
I would hate it if a coworker hung a big ***** flag in the workplace, no matter what was on it. Decorate on your own time, in your own home!

Old 05-27-2009, 12:07 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
3 x 5?

That's pretty big.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,882 times
i would be more than happy to ship her back to africa if she has a problem with the flag. i also have a problem with all the mexican flags on cinco de mayo but i just complain to friends. maybe i should sue for that.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
i would be more than happy to ship her back to africa if she has a problem with the flag. i also have a problem with all the mexican flags on cinco de mayo but i just complain to friends. maybe i should sue for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
When an office supervisor hung and American flag in the office, and one of her office-mates filed a complaint (yes, really), upper management took the flag down. They later reversed themselves and let her put the flag back up.

What should the manager's response have been?

"Grow a thicker skin."

There, problem solved.

If someone doesn't like something that's completely normal and not the least bit offensive, then it's their problem, not the flag-owner's problem.

Suppose someone had said they don't like the color blue (or insert your own color here). Then when a colleague comes to work wearing a blue shirt and pants, the whiner insists that that color "offends him" and demands the the worker never wear blue again in the office.

The reply would be obvious: There's nothing offensive about the color, and you're the one with the problem, not the guy wearing blue. Quit acting like an idiot.

Putting an American flag in an office, is just as inoffensive as wearing a blue shirt and pants, regardless of what some whiner says. Why isn't the reply the same?

-------------------------------------
You're going off on some tangent that even the boss said was not the issue. it was the flag's size.

"Susan Moss, vice president with Kindred Healthcare, said in a statement Wednesday that the issue was with the size of the flag and not what it symbolized."

3x5 is pretty belligerent, but it's also just plain big and in the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies