Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:08 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
What evidence do you see? please be specific. Because the evidence I and most informed Americans see is continuing job losses.
You mean aside from all of the construction already going on around town?
There are roads being paved, a major levee is being re-fortified and a project to alleviate flooding is well underway.

Though not related to stimulus funds, construction will start on a new convention center in July and a new shopping center was approved by the city council just this week. Construction is also expected to start on a new high school and a new museum in the not too distant future.
And, most exciting (to me anyway) they will break ground for the Spaceport on June 10th.

Other projects are already also underway or very close to starting:
Stimulus: Española road project No. 1 - New Mexico Business Weekly:

And from our local paper concerning our unemployment rates:
Doña Ana County unemployment rate decreases - Las Cruces Sun-News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 11:31 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Ooops. Obama and Biden caught in a little white lie;

Follow the Stimulus, Part 2: Stoves in Davenport, Iowa - Political Punch

Quote:
Project #55 in the report states that: “With the help of Recovery Act funding, Zeglin’s Home TV & Appliance, a locally-owned and operated company, is currently replacing stoves in Public Housing units in Davenport, Iowa, with American-made Whirlpool appliances.”
Quote:
But... this was a project that had already been approved by Davenport city council to be paid for by federal monies, Margaret Murphy the Assisted Housing Manager for the city, tells ABC News.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:41 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
There are roads being paved, a major levee is being re-fortified and a project to alleviate flooding is well underway.

Though not related to stimulus funds, construction will start on a new convention center in July and a new shopping center was approved by the city council just this week. Construction is also expected to start on a new high school and a new museum in the not too distant future.
And, most exciting (to me anyway) they will break ground for the Spaceport on June 10th.

Well, that's great for your location. Really, I mean that is good for your community. I wish it were that way everywhere.

Here, people are being laid off; others are asked to take significant pay cuts to save their jobs. I've yet to see any new projects started.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:42 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Interesting link..thanks for that.

So I looked at a few and one SSA spent all their money and they did create thousands of new government jobs.

One question though which I haven't found an answer to is how these new government jobs will continue to pay these new employees after they have spent the money creating these jobs.
The stimulus is short-term.
It's to help cover for some of the losses in the free market, and hopefully it'll help us stop the bleeding (hemorrhaging jobs). But the market still has to be the driving force behind job creation. 0.5 trillion spending over more than 3 years on new jobs is not going to cover every failing of a 13 trillion economy.
Quote:
You have thousands of new government jobs in SSA and these employee will get paychecks and benefits for the next 20 or so years.

Using all this money to create government jobs is not going to save us.
These people still need to get paid and get their benefits long after the initial money is spent.
Anyone who is hired for a stimulus project should not expect to have a career for life from it. But maybe they'll be able to feed and clothe their families for a while.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:50 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

That does sound good for your neck of the woods. I hope those people building the structures have jobs after they are done.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:03 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Quote:
The stimulus is short-term.
Not this one. Traditionally, a stimulus package would be spent quickly, but the majority of money in obama's stimulus will not be spent until 2011 and beyond.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:06 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Not this one. Traditionally, a stimulus package would be spent quickly, but the majority of money in obama's stimulus will not be spent until 2011 and beyond.
Wrong.
The majority will be spent this year and next.

2011 is the year following that.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Well, that's great for your location. Really, I mean that is good for your community. I wish it were that way everywhere.

Here, people are being laid off; others are asked to take significant pay cuts to save their jobs. I've yet to see any new projects started.
Thanks. I realize that we are 'outliers' with regard to what is going on elsewhere, and certainly we are seeing layoffs, budget cuts and a rise in foreclosures even if not to the same degree as elsewhere.
However, as one of the poorest states in the country, I guess everyone has learned to make due with less to some extent, and, certainly where I am, housing prices never spiked the way they did in AZ, NV, etc., (one of the reasons I left NJ) so we've been more insulated from the big losses in value.
I know that we are extremely blessed to live where we do.

Also, we are very fortunate as NM and far west TX are benefiting greatly from the base realignments - we have a lot of people re-stationing here and as my son always reminds me, they get paid twice a month, every month, and so, in addition to the pride that comes from having our soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen as neighbors, they are wonderful for our economy.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
That does sound good for your neck of the woods. I hope those people building the structures have jobs after they are done.
Thanks. As my grand-daughter keeps reminding me, we've got lots of land 'just lying around', so hopefully they'll be able to move on to new projects when these are done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies