Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 03:55 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,424,163 times

Advertisements

RNC fumbles Sotomayor talking points

Print them out and you can read along with all your favorite Right Wing Common Tators. Or keep a check list and find out which are the favorites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 04:27 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,626,526 times
This doesn't look like a fumble to me. Kind of like Obama slipping his pre-debate points to the media.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:16 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,390,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
This doesn't look like a fumble to me. Kind of like Obama slipping his pre-debate points to the media.
Agreed. Pretty smart actually to have everyone on the same page and communicating a common message.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I guess what I would see as the fumble is that everyone now knows the Repubs are just reciting a list of pre-written points instead of actually thinking about what they say. Yes, it happens all the time, but you don't want to admit it!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:02 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
RNC fumbles Sotomayor talking points

Print them out and you can read along with all your favorite Right Wing Common Tators. Or keep a check list and find out which are the favorites.
Kind of like the obama administration!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Kind of like the obama administration!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:55 PM

519 posts, read 688,428 times
No doubt one of the talking points will be that 60% of Sotomayor's rulings have been overturned by the Supreme Court.

Doesn't sound like a particularly good record if you ask me. The GOP should attack that kind of record with fervor.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:08 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
No doubt one of the talking points will be that 60% of Sotomayor's rulings have been overturned by the Supreme Court.

Doesn't sound like a particularly good record if you ask me. The GOP should attack that kind of record with fervor.
I am against Sotomayor being appointed because she has talked and ruled as a racist and she has done other things that make me fearful about her as a Justice.

I think that we may all find that the cases the Supreme Court take up are largely appellate cases so they came from appellate courts. The Supreme Court has a tendency to overturn about 7f5% of those cases because they took them because they saw them as wrongfully handled below. Now that makes any appellate judge likely to have about the same kind of record she has. I don't like it but it is true.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:15 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
Quote:

The report I saw said that six of her rulings had been heard by the supreme court and five had been overturned. That is 83%.

I don't know what kind of game Obama is playing, but it has nothing to do with getting this lady on the supreme court. It is just the Obama politics as usual. Does anyone else get the idea he thinks he is still running for president?

Last edited by NCN; 05-27-2009 at 08:04 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:

Yeah, right. 3 out of 380.

Daily Kos: "A Betrayal","Unintelligent", "Unqualified". Not a diary about GWB..

". . . out of the 380-odd opinions she penned while on the Second Circuit, the Supreme Court chose to review only six. The Supreme Court normally only chooses cases (about 1-2%) that they want to overturn. Of those six selected, Sotomayor was reversed on only three."

Here's a headline from a conservative newspaper that I find hilarious:

GOP enters 7 stages of grief over Sonia Sotomayor's Supreme Court justice nomination

Here's another amusing one:

Alberto Gonzales: Sotomayor's appointment gives hope - CNN.com

"It's a historic day for the Hispanic community.

But having said that, Wolf, this is a powerful message, a powerful message of hope and opportunity of hope through this appointment, just like there's a powerful message sent when an African-American is elected president or an African-American or Hispanic is appointed as attorney general of the United States. It's a powerful message that a president listens to, and this president obviously did."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies