Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:24 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,430,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Wasn't that Obama headquarters that had the big picture of Che Guevera on the wall in Texas? Yeah, I believe it was and the workers may well have been Mexicans, illegal or resident citizens and there are lots of them in Texas.
I dunno, you seem crazy. Post a link or something to verify you are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:44 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,478,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If they don't like the American flag, they should leave America. Simple as that.
What if they're allergic to the materials it's made of? Should they leave then? Again, I will point out not a single article attests to the woman's motivations for taking the flag down. I doubt anyone here has insight enough to declare with any confidence they know why this immigrant took it down. They just assume, based on the fact she was born elsewhere, that it's because she hates 'Merica. Wake up, kids! You all got hate-baited by Fox News! Don't be sheeple! The lady could love America and the opportunities it gave her, but that overtly slanted article didn't guide your thoughts down the right path to reach that conclusion. Think independently! You all got duped by this simplistic piece of xenophobic propaganda!

If this disagreement occurred between two white native-born Texan women, this wouldn't have made the news at all.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:50 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,914,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I dunno, you seem crazy. Post a link or something to verify you are not.
He doesn't need a link. It did happen. There was a huge pic of Che in one of the campaign headquarters. I realize that you Obama lovers can't stand the truth about him, but facts are facts.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,478,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
He doesn't need a link. It did happen. There was a huge pic of Che in one of the campaign headquarters. I realize that you Obama lovers can't stand the truth about him, but facts are facts.
It's true. It did happen. It was here in Houston. Here's a photo, in fact:

But what's the point? If you support one person's free speech, you have to support them all. That's America. You can't only support the free speech of those who agree with you. You have to support everyone's free speech. Plus, and going back to motivations, you can't extrapolate to the president's personal beliefs based on just one of his supporters beliefs. Did you agree with every single thing George W. Bush did? Do you blindly agree with his every pronouncement? Did you have any beliefs that flew in the face of his beliefs? If so, guess what, you're just like the person who decorated their desk with the Che/Cuba flag.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:18 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,914,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
It's true. It did happen. It was here in Houston. Here's a photo, in fact:

But what's the point? If you support one person's free speech, you have to support them all. That's America. You can't only support the free speech of those who agree with you. You have to support everyone's free speech. Plus, and going back to motivations, you can't extrapolate to the president's personal beliefs based on just one of his supporters beliefs. Did you agree with every single thing George W. Bush did? Do you blindly agree with his every pronouncement? Did you have any beliefs that flew in the face of his beliefs? If so, guess what, you're just like the person who decorated their desk with the Che/Cuba flag.
I never once said anything about not supporting free speech. That seems to have come from you. All I did was to show the person that he was wrong about Obama and that he was trying to show someone to be a liar when they were not and are not. I also never said that the person should not have had the ignorant Che flag in their office, except that it was supposed to be a campaign office for a supposed American running for President. Guess what? I don't like any of the damn politicians and not stupid enough to believe anything any of them say. Only the partisan hacks seem to follow all of the things said by their leaders. I think for myself, something that is sorely lacking in this forum.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:39 PM

556 posts, read 1,557,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
I totally agree with this, but conversely, it also gives the other woman a right to express her opinion, no matter how much either of us disagree with her. It didn't necessarily give her a right to take it down, but that's a matter for the hospital to pursue, not the government. Unless either women broke a law, the government does not have a right to interfere with this matter. I guess the point I was attempting to drive home was that it's irresponsible to 1) blame the government for this, 2) blame liberals for this and 3) blame anyone for this other than the idiot who took the flag down.

Also, don't you think it's a bit presumptuous of everyone in this forum to blame the other woman simply because she was from a different country? Perhaps her motivations had nothing to do with a lack of patriotism. Perhaps the first woman kept the flagstand in a place that encroached on the second lady's space. Perhaps the second lady didn't object to the flag at all, but just disliked its location. Perhaps the two ladies simply hated each other and used every opportunity to needle each other. Who knows? Not a single article explains the second lady's motivations. It's unfortunate, and telling of the general mindset of so many in this forum, that we'd assume just because she's originally from another country that her motivations were due to a hatred of the flag and for what it stands. No one knows that lady. No one here knows whether or not her eyes well up when she hears the national anthem. No one knows these things. No one. A lot of immigrants in this country love America as much or more than most Americans do, and it's ridiculous to assume just because she wasn't born here she hates it here.
Darn it, you got me. I wanted to make assumptions about you, and here you've raised some excellent, valid points!! And yes, my hackles are up thinking this is an anti-American immigrant (though I still lean that way), but I have definitely entertained the idea that this is simply an ongoing battle between two women. And it played out in the media because of the inflammatory nature of the incident.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:57 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,357,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Woman Upset After American Flag Taken Down At Work - cbs11tv.com (http://cbs11tv.com/local/patriotism.at.office.2.1020415.html - broken link)

Now this beats anything I have heard. Our AMERICAN flag is now "offensive". According to people and patients at this North Texas Hospital, it is!

I bet if a Mexican had a Mexican Flag hanging in their office, noone would have said a peep.

Sad!! Very Very SAD!!
What at first sounded like a disturbing story ended up being a wonderful story.
Horray for the American people for making their voices heard "defending" the US flag.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:38 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,869,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
EXACTLY!!!! This woman from Africa that was able to come here and get a job and be promoted to a position of authority in management is upset about a 3x5 flag HANGING on a pole and she complains about it. She could have gotten executed in some countries for dissenting the flag. By even muttering one word about it being "offensive" she and her entire family could have been wiped out by tyrant government leaders. But HERE in the U.S. of A. she can speak up about things she objects to ON THE JOB and not risk getting killed OR FIRED! It is all because of what that flag represents and she better be damned proud of it for it has allowed her THAT FREEDOM!

Okay folks, seriously, the SIZE 3x5 is not THAT large. She did not have it Hanging on the wall but it was on a FLAG POLE. To see exactly how much "room" this 3x5 flag took up try this: Get yourself a beach towel (which is most likely longer than 5') and hang it on a broomstick and prop it in the corner. Does it REALLY take up THAT MUCH ROOM!?!?!?!?! NOOOOO! It does not. The space it actually takes up width wise is more like 8" and it drapes downward for about 5'-6'. BIG DEAL!!! I HIGHLY doubt it was the first thing ANYONE saw when they walked into that office.

The comment that "patients" were complaining............. then don't treat them. Especially if they are there w/o any insurance. Send them packing back home if they are THAT offended by the U.S. flag and all it represents INCLUDING MEDICAL TREATMENT!!!!!
from this:

McLucas said the supervisor who complained has been in the United States for 14 years and is formerly from Africa. McLucas said that supervisor took down the flag herself. "The flag and the pole had been placed on the floor," McLucas said.

to this:
Then, late Wednesday morning, Kindred posted on its website a statement about the incident. It reads, in part: "The disagreement was over the size of the flag and not what it symbolized. We have invited the employee to put the flag back up."

i love happy endings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies