Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:36 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,628,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
A 3 x 5 flag on a pole in almost any non-government building is a eye sore. Any flag or other item that is not part of the business function can be removed by the business. Hopefully her performance review will suffer by her actions and the media attention it drew to the hospital. (they let her keep it......read the article)

You work for the company. Their building, Their office, Their computers, Their walls, Their chairs, Their phones, Their rules.
Spoken like a true Patriot.
It was to honor her son on Memorial Day. Who gives a rat's a$$ how big it was. It was here in the USA..aka AMERICA, therefore it should have been hung up. And of course they let her keep it, this was a PR nightmare.

It doesnt matter if the flag was 3'x5' or 30'x50'....if someone finds our United States flag OFFENSIVE.....GET YOUR A$$ OUTTA HERE THEN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Spoken like a true Patriot.
It was to honor her son on Memorial Day.

Then she should have done so at the cemetery or church. Put a picture on her desk. Or had her own parade (with proper permits). It doesn't matter what day it is. It's a place of work, not a shrine.

Last edited by plannine; 05-28-2009 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Took out "I served - You?" sticking to topic

Old 05-28-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I served. So yes. You?

Then she should have done so at the cemetery or church. Or had her own parade (with proper permits). It doesn't matter what day it is. It's a place of work, not a shrine.

OK so what is the difference between hanging an American flag, family pictures, calenders, comics, etc? NOTHING!!! All of the things I listed are items you would find in an office cubicle. This lady was simply expressing her 1st amendment right of Freedom Of Speech (showing her support of our troops), who BTW are fighting so your a$$ remains safe. If you served like you claim to have (which I don't think you did, hence your attitude) then you should understand, that is unless you served in a military other than the USA.

Since when and where does hanging or flying the USA flag need a "proper permit"?

And BTW, I also served. In the Army!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
OK so what is the difference between hanging an American flag, family pictures, calenders, comics, etc? NOTHING!!! All of the things I listed are items you would find in an office cubicle.
A 3 x 5 flag on a pole, is not in the typical cube. And this was a shared office. (we don't know the size of the office)

Quote:
Since when and where does hanging or flying the USA flag need a "proper permit"?
That was for a parade. (Or had her own parade (with proper permits))

My attitude is with this being "a issue".

Old 05-28-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
A 3 x 5 flag on a pole, is not in the typical cube. And this was a shared office.

Why does it matter what size it was or what it was hanging from? Now I can see it being removed if it was obstructing a fire exit, danger to safety, etc., but it was to honor MEMORIAL DAY!!!!!

Questions...........if the US flag was removed, should other things used to symbolize holidays also be removed? Should personal items like photos, calenders, comics and other stuff also be removed?

If this is what its coming to in the workplace, no wonder employee morale is so low in this country.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Why does it matter what size it was or what it was hanging from? Now I can see it being removed if it was obstructing a fire exit, danger to safety, etc., but it was to honor MEMORIAL DAY!!!!!

Questions...........if the US flag was removed, should other things used to symbolize holidays also be removed? Should personal items like photos, calenders, comics and other stuff also be removed?

If this is what its coming to in the workplace, no wonder employee morale is so low in this country.

Many companies have strict policies on what gets allowed in their building. I've been places where you have to get approval for just about anything that wasn't provided by the company. Even fake plants.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:55 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
This situation isn't worthy of all the threads it spawned. It's not worthy of anything.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Many companies have strict policies on what gets allowed in their building. I've been places where you have to get approval for just about anything that wasn't provided by the company. Even fake plants.
Good point, plannine, that said....the hospital should have had a clause in their employee handbook concerning this....if they didn't, then they had no right to take it down. Just my opinion!

Old 05-28-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Good point, plannine, that said....the hospital should have had a clause in their employee handbook concerning this....if they didn't, then they had no right to take it down. Just my opinion!

Maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

But it seems that the details that make these situations "controversy", are always missing. If I didn't enjoy fighting a good fight, I would ignore most of them.

I still retain the right to disagree with myself in another post!!!!

Old 05-28-2009, 02:17 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Size can be offensive. A billboard of a flag outside your house would be considered by some (im sure some would love it) to be offensive - it would to me. Not for being a flag on a billboard but just for the size.
the fact remains: no complaints have yet been produced concerning a 'too-big' flag. to insist that is the case is just pathetic flailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies