Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of homosexual marriages?
Strongly Approve 53 36.81%
Approve 24 16.67%
Somewhat Approve 2 1.39%
Mixed 3 2.08%
Somewhat Disapprove 2 1.39%
Disapprove 11 7.64%
Strongly Disapprove 43 29.86%
Don't Know/Unsure 2 1.39%
No Opinion 4 2.78%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:24 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
(1) Biblical scriptures have dictated the majority of our laws throughout history and even to this day. To provide one example, our capital punishment standards for killers is legal based on the verses in the Old Testament.

(2) Yes moral standards evolve over time and they have been loosened greatly over time. Have a look at the morals that have been weakened to allow easier access to things once considered reprehensible, and you tell me if society is any better as a result.

(3) Enlightened individuals are those who have found God and repented their sins. The people that succumb to temptation and engage in illicit sex, drugs, and other immoral behavior are not enlightened. A high percentage of those people are non-believers.

(4) Call me what you will but I still proclaim that the most notable zealots are the leftist, pro-abortion, pro-homosexual marriage, pro-illegal immigrant group of so-called enlightened individuals.

Have you read the book of Leviticus.

Just a few tidbits from there:

You are forbidden to wear clothes of two different fabrics. (You are probably guilty of that right now)

You cant eat pork, shave, or cut your hair (You probably have done that all rather recently)

Whoever works on the sabbath shall be put to death (you have probably done that too, is it okay if I come give you your punishment?)

It also says that you can marry young girls 11-13, have sex with your slaves, treat women as property, and practice polygamy.

That certaintly sounds like a book I want to live my life by!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 12:46 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I may not practice any organized religion, but I think it is better to have a belief in something, to die, and see that you were right, than not to believe in anything, die and see that you were wrong.
Of course it's always possible that you could have a belief in something, die and find out that your belief was wrong.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
MLK never did make his views on homosexuality public. You won't ever know how he felt about the issue. But the views of a close relative were made known about a decade ago:

Staff Writer ©Copyright 1998 Guy Gannett Communications

AUGUSTA - A niece of Martin Luther King Jr. got about 300 people down on their knees in the state capitol Thursday to pray that homosexuals would "turn from their wicked ways" and seek Jesus Christ.

"God hates racism and God hates homosexuality," Alveda King told the group in a speech after leading them in prayer.

King tours the country speaking out against civil-rights legislation for gay men and lesbians. She was in Maine to speak about next Tuesday's referendum on the state's new law.

The ballot question will ask voters whether they want to repeal the law passed by the Legislature last spring to prohibit discrimination against gay people.
King, who says gay people have never suffered the discrimination that black Americans have, was the featured speaker for what became the biggest event to date for the "vote-yes" campaign.
However, Dr. King's wife, Coretta, was strongly for gay rights.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:47 PM

895 posts, read 2,365,600 times
My personal opinion is that its wrong but what does that matter? I will vote for gay marriage to be legal everysingle time. Why? Because it makes absolutely no difference to me if gays get married by law. We're not talking about gays getting married in churches we're talking about by the government. Gays exist right now, once it becomes legal it won't change anything. Everysingle thing will be the same. Your life won't be affected at all.

If marriage is sacred to you then get married in your sacred church. There is nothing sacred in a marriage done by the state. All it is, is paper and your names thats it.

For all the religious discussion there is a seperation of church and state. When it comes to stuff done by the state religion has no discussion so it's irrelevant for you guys to bring up religion in this discussion. Yes you can ban gay marriage in your churches all you want that is fine but this has nothing to do with getting married by "god" or the church.

And BTW almost everysingle founding father of the USA was a "deitist" meaning they believed in a "god" but it wasnt necesarily the judeo-christian god. And the majority of them were against any organized religion be it protestant or catholic etc.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:48 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Approve. Gay marriage doesn't harm anyone and prohibiting it is forming laws on personal biases rather than objective reasoning.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:51 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I put don't know/unsure. I have no problem with it, but I also have no problem with civil unions that are designed to offer the same benefits. I understand the word "marriage" is a big deal to some people but I don't care myself. I'm not entirely sold on the whole idea that 'separate but equal' is wrong either since we already accept separate but equal things regarding gender. It would be a bit redundant though. Whatever we do needs to be done across the board, not state by state and if 'separate but equal' civil unions is what it takes to strike a balance I say go for it.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Well - 41 'approve'
31 'disapprove'

The people have spoken!

Old 05-29-2009, 03:12 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
My personal opinion is that its wrong but what does that matter? I will vote for gay marriage to be legal everysingle time. Why? Because it makes absolutely no difference to me if gays get married by law. We're not talking about gays getting married in churches we're talking about by the government. Gays exist right now, once it becomes legal it won't change anything. Everysingle thing will be the same. Your life won't be affected at all.

If marriage is sacred to you then get married in your sacred church. There is nothing sacred in a marriage done by the state. All it is, is paper and your names thats it.

For all the religious discussion there is a seperation of church and state. When it comes to stuff done by the state religion has no discussion so it's irrelevant for you guys to bring up religion in this discussion. Yes you can ban gay marriage in your churches all you want that is fine but this has nothing to do with getting married by "god" or the church.

And BTW almost everysingle founding father of the USA was a "deitist" meaning they believed in a "god" but it wasnt necesarily the judeo-christian god. And the majority of them were against any organized religion be it protestant or catholic etc.

I wish all christians had your mode of thinking. The world would be a much more peaceful place.

I find it odd that a religion that preaches love and understanding has so much intolerance and hate.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:07 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
approve, because my brothers or sisters or cousins or neighbors marriage does not affect me.

i am secure in my marriage that i dont need it defended from other people who want to be married like everyone else.

I STRONGLY APPROVE

Old 05-29-2009, 05:13 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
(1) Those posters are doomed to an eternal life in the hands of Satan, and furthermore our laws have been derived from the Bible. Morality can and has been legislated based on the holy scriptures numerous times throughout American history. It works just fine.

(2) The people that are non-believers are the ones that live in darkness, they are certainly not enlightened. The enlightened ones are those that have repented their sins, cleansed themselves of all evil wrongdoing, and have accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior.

Atheists and agnostics cannot explain the unexplainable because they do not believe in God. When the subject arises they are the first ones to run and hide because they refuse to believe that a supreme being created this beautiful earth and all lifeforms that exist. Their explanations do not have any merit.

(3) There are no religious zealots. The only zealots are the closed-minded non-believers have little or no proof of their big-bang or evolutionary theories. On that note it sure seems peculiar that a lot of these non-believers are ardent Obama supporters.

You're like a Rolodex contantly rehashing the same jargon over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies