Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of homosexual marriages?
Strongly Approve 53 36.81%
Approve 24 16.67%
Somewhat Approve 2 1.39%
Mixed 3 2.08%
Somewhat Disapprove 2 1.39%
Disapprove 11 7.64%
Strongly Disapprove 43 29.86%
Don't Know/Unsure 2 1.39%
No Opinion 4 2.78%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:13 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,928,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Actually, in California before Prop 8, that right WAS there. Same-sex marriage was in place for five months before they voted to take it away. And, in that five months, thousands of same sex couples DID marry. And what happens to those marriages? Are they made invalid by passage of that proposition? Are they still legally recognized by the state? After all, they were legal at the time they happened.
If you read the rest of my posts, it's very obvious that I'm not talking about anything that happened over the course of five short months, I am talking about the way society has treated homosexuals over the course of hundreds of years now. If there is blame to go around, it should be distributed far and wide, and that includes in the direction of MANY people who have called themselves liberal leaders. Again, the current President of the United States has stated that marriage is a union between one man and one woman, and nothing else. Not surprisingly, he continues to get a pass for saying the same thing that gets other people a verbal or written beatdown. This very issue proves that in the eyes of liberals President Obama can do no wrong and conservatives can do no right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 08:24 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,995,319 times
People just dont seem to realize that when you vote to take away rights from a certain group of people, you are voting to take away rights from everyone including yourself.

IF SOMETHING DOES NOT PHYSICALLY HARM YOU OR YOUR PROPERTY THEN IT IS NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS. YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE AND YOU LET OTHERS LIVE THEIRS.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:28 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I will read and respond to any thread that I want. I think I've made some very good and valid points here, and I am not alone in that thought. I have gotten some nice feedback from the people who disagree with me the most. That makes me very happy, because it reminds me that even when people like you bring down the quality of this forum, there are still plenty of good people who can agree to disagree without having to use words like "stupidity" or question the education of those who disagree.
I bring down the quality of the forum? Sorry, but if I see something someone says as stupid, I say so. And that remark was not directed at you - it was just pointing out why I continue to read and post on topics such as this. That IS what your post was asking, wasn't it? And I never said you shouldn't or couldn't read or reply to any thread or post that got your attention. I was just wondering why, if you didn't want to read any more on the topic, you opened the thread. Yes, I did notice the back and forth between you and a couple of others - you will note that I didn't jump into the middle of those conversations. That was because you were being respectful. And they were giving pretty good rebuttals and didn't need mine.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I bring down the quality of the forum? Sorry, but if I see something someone says as stupid, I say so. And that remark was not directed at you - it was just pointing out why I continue to read and post on topics such as this. That IS what your post was asking, wasn't it? And I never said you shouldn't or couldn't read or reply to any thread or post that got your attention. I was just wondering why, if you didn't want to read any more on the topic, you opened the thread. Yes, I did notice the back and forth between you and a couple of others - you will note that I didn't jump into the middle of those conversations. That was because you were being respectful. And they were giving pretty good rebuttals and didn't need mine.
Well I was under the impression that your remarks were directed at me. If I read that wrong, then I owe you an apology. The thread overall has been quite a change of pace, with people mostly being very nice to each other. I hope it goes on that way even though I'll have to excuse myself from it soon.

Again, if I took your post the wrong way, I'm sorry.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:38 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV
Actually, in California before Prop 8, that right WAS there. Same-sex marriage was in place for five months before they voted to take it away. And, in that five months, thousands of same sex couples DID marry. And what happens to those marriages? Are they made invalid by passage of that proposition? Are they still legally recognized by the state? After all, they were legal at the time they happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
If you read the rest of my posts, it's very obvious that I'm not talking about anything that happened over the course of five short months, I am talking about the way society has treated homosexuals over the course of hundreds of years now. If there is blame to go around, it should be distributed far and wide, and that includes in the direction of MANY people who have called themselves liberal leaders. Again, the current President of the United States has stated that marriage is a union between one man and one woman, and nothing else. Not surprisingly, he continues to get a pass for saying the same thing that gets other people a verbal or written beatdown. This very issue proves that in the eyes of liberals President Obama can do no wrong and conservatives can do no right.
The post I was replying to was about Prop 8. I was just pointing out that, at the time it passed, that right was there in California and that vote took it away. As far as Obama, did you never stop to think that even gays might have other things on their minds and might consider those other things to be a bit more important than their right to marry? Things such as the economy or health care or the war?

Oh, and I have read all of your posts. And yes, I do agree that not all of the 'blame' for the way gays and lesbians are treated can be laid at the feet of any one segment of the population or any one political party. I've seen enough in my nearly six decades of life that I know a politician is a politician is a politician and they will always say whatever they think their audience wants to hear - and then go ahead and do whatever THEY think is 'best'.

Last edited by MsMcQ LV; 05-29-2009 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: additional comment

Old 05-29-2009, 08:43 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
People just dont seem to realize that when you vote to take away rights from a certain group of people, you are voting to take away rights from everyone including yourself.

IF SOMETHING DOES NOT PHYSICALLY HARM YOU OR YOUR PROPERTY THEN IT IS NONE OF YOUR DAMN BUSINESS. YOU LIVE YOUR LIFE AND YOU LET OTHERS LIVE THEIRS.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
As far as Obama, did you never stop to think that even gays might have other things on their minds and might consider those other things to be a bit more important than their right to marry?
Based on what I see when I visit this forum? I'm going to have to say no. Marriage is clearly the hot-button issue for gays here, and not just for gays, but it is very obviously the top priority. And I don't blame them for that regardless of how I feel about the issue. This IS their issue right now.

You asked, and I answered.

If conservatives are being criticised, sometimes very harshly, for their views on marriage; then President Obama should be too. He's getting a big pass on this one.

And this conservative has said repeatedly that if they believe in their right to marry, they should peacefully organize and make themselves heard. I fully support their right to do that and would not take kindly to anyone who tries to stop them... And again, my personal feelings on the issue are irrelevant. The president never came through for them to that extent.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:46 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
lets put gun rights up for a vote!
I wonder how the fundamentalists would feel about the vote of the majority taking their guns away???
they couldn't claim it was the government...
it was the will of the people... they've said they don't want guns in the hands of the general public for whatever reason.. so lets ammend the constitution....

Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,497,649 times
I approve of it.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
lets put gun rights up for a vote!
I wonder how the fundamentalists would feel about the vote of the majority taking their guns away???
they couldn't claim it was the government...
it was the will of the people... they've said they don't want guns in the hands of the general public for whatever reason.. so lets ammend the constitution....
OK.

Let's leave everything up to the will of the people.

Sounds like a great idea for a country.

I'm actually with you on this.

The only thing we'll leave off the table is religion, a personal issue that people can decide for themselves. Everything else is open to the power of the people. Let's do it! And I'm serious, too.

Do things that way and we might end up with NO marriage at all. Might not be the worst thing in the world, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies