Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of homosexual marriages?
Strongly Approve 53 36.81%
Approve 24 16.67%
Somewhat Approve 2 1.39%
Mixed 3 2.08%
Somewhat Disapprove 2 1.39%
Disapprove 11 7.64%
Strongly Disapprove 43 29.86%
Don't Know/Unsure 2 1.39%
No Opinion 4 2.78%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:04 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,929,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
Homosexual marriage legitimizes a lifestyle that is morally reprehensible. It clearly goes against what is stated throughout the Bible.

To borrow a line from the old saying, if God favored homosexual relations he would have created Adam and Steve along with Adam and Eve.
Is it too late for me to change my vote?

Seriously, this is the kind of stuff that makes almost everyone look bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Homosexual marriage legitimizes a lifestyle that is morally reprehensible. It clearly goes against what is stated throughout the Bible.
The Bible doesn't matter to the vast majority of the posters here and the law should certainly not be derived from it.

Quote:
To borrow a line from the old saying, if God favored homosexual relations he would have created Adam and Steve along with Adam and Eve.
I'm unsure whether God created anyone. Again, that won't get you very far on this board due to the fact that many posters are more enlightened and don't blindly follow a book written by HUMANS for the primary purposes of calming their fears and explaining the unexplainable.

Quote:
On your other point --

After four or eight years with Obama at the helm you will be sorely disappointed to find that even more people will lose their jobs, their homes, and won't be able to feed their families.
I agree with that, but the other poster wasn't suggesting otherwise. He/she simply said that these issues are more important. His/her concern over these issues could actually be due to the fact that he/she does not approve of Obama. You're too in the dark to see it because you associate everyone who isn't a religious zealot with blindly bowing down to Obama.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-29-2009 at 11:17 AM..

Old 05-29-2009, 11:11 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,113,588 times
Quote:

There is no God. There is no Heaven. There is no Hell. When your time is up, you're in the dirt like every other living thing on this planet. Live your life how you see fit, and let others live theirs.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:15 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,956,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
There is no God. There is no Heaven. There is no Hell. When your time is up, you're in the dirt like every other living thing on this planet. Live your life how you see fit, and let others live theirs.
We don't know that there isn't a god. We don't know if there is more than one universe. We don't know fully yet about the four forces or if there are more than four, or even how many dimensions there are. String theory - M theory our greatest minds are trying to grapple with it and yet they can only theorize - even with the benefit of all our cumulative knowledge of science to this point in time - proof that god does or does not exist - does not exist. As a matter of fact, we can even safely surmise that our understanding of time itself is not fully understood.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:18 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
We don't know that there isn't a god. We don't know if there is more than one universe. We don't know fully yet about the four forces or if there are more than four, or even how many dimensions there are. String theory - M theory our greatest minds are trying to grapple with it and yet they can only theorize - even with the benefit of all our cumulative knowledge of science to this point in time - proof that god does or does not exist - does not exist. As a matter of fact, we can even surmise that our understand of time itself is not fully understood.
Yup. This is why I'm Agnostic. I've simply accepted that there are certain things that are unexplainable and there may be either scientific explanations or a Supreme Being.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:26 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
I say let them live their life

Old 05-29-2009, 11:26 AM

355 posts, read 447,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
The Bible doesn't matter to the vast majority of the posters here and the law should certainly not be derived from it.

I'm unsure whether God created anyone. Again, that won't get you very far on this board due to the fact that many posters are more enlightened and don't blindly follow a book written by HUMANS for the primary purposes of calming their fears and explaining the unexplainable.

I agree with that, but the other poster wasn't suggesting otherwise. He/she simply said that these issues are more important. His/her concern over these issues could actually be due to the fact that he/she does not approve of Obama. You're too in the dark to see it because you associate everyone who isn't a religious zealot with blindly bowing down to Obama.
(1) Those posters are doomed to an eternal life in the hands of Satan, and furthermore our laws have been derived from the Bible. Morality can and has been legislated based on the holy scriptures numerous times throughout American history. It works just fine.

(2) The people that are non-believers are the ones that live in darkness, they are certainly not enlightened. The enlightened ones are those that have repented their sins, cleansed themselves of all evil wrongdoing, and have accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior.

Atheists and agnostics cannot explain the unexplainable because they do not believe in God. When the subject arises they are the first ones to run and hide because they refuse to believe that a supreme being created this beautiful earth and all lifeforms that exist. Their explanations do not have any merit.

(3) There are no religious zealots. The only zealots are the closed-minded non-believers have little or no proof of their big-bang or evolutionary theories. On that note it sure seems peculiar that a lot of these non-believers are ardent Obama supporters.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:

On your other point --

After four or eight years with Obama at the helm you will be sorely disappointed to find that even more people will lose their jobs, their homes, and won't be able to feed their families.

Bringing God and the bible into a debate hardly gives you any creditbility or kudo points. I remember we had a little debate in school about gay marriage. As soon as the teacher told them they couldn't use the bible in the debate, they had hardly anything to say.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:41 AM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
Quote:

On your other point --

Please don't preach to me. I know the Bible. I'm Catholic and Grew up in Church...

I am not on a message board judging people on sexual preferences. We are not to judge others.

I just think there are more important issues - war, job loss, hunger, etc that need more attention than this...

And for my last comment - Of course things are going to grow worse, with Obama in Office. Don't assume I'm an Obama Supporter because you are totally mistaken..

Old 05-29-2009, 11:41 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
You forgot one.

"Don't care."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies