Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of homosexual marriages?
Strongly Approve 53 36.81%
Approve 24 16.67%
Somewhat Approve 2 1.39%
Mixed 3 2.08%
Somewhat Disapprove 2 1.39%
Disapprove 11 7.64%
Strongly Disapprove 43 29.86%
Don't Know/Unsure 2 1.39%
No Opinion 4 2.78%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:47 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,661,304 times

Advertisements

I approve of anyone marrying who wants to marry, regardless of sex. This is a no-brainer to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
(1) Those posters are doomed to an eternal life in the hands of Satan, and furthermore our laws have been derived from the Bible. Morality can and has been legislated based on the holy scriptures numerous times throughout American history. It works just fine.
Morality is legislated, correct. Most criminal laws and many civil laws are based on moral principles. That is never likely to change and many of these posters can't see it. Those morals, however, can come from MANY different places and not just from that book (the bible).

Moral standards can also evolve over time.

Quote:
(2) The people that are non-believers are the ones that live in darkness, they are certainly not enlightened. The enlightened ones are those that have repented their sins, cleansed themselves of all evil wrongdoing, and have accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior.
No, we're the ones who are enlightened; you are the one who lives in darkness.

Quote:
Atheists and agnostics cannot explain the unexplainable because they do not believe in God. When the subject arises they are the first ones to run and hide because they refuse to believe that a supreme being created this beautiful earth and all lifeforms that exist. Their explanations do not have any merit.
And your explanations don't either. The reality is that none of us know.

Quote:
(3) There are no religious zealots. The only zealots are the closed-minded non-believers have little or no proof of their big-bang or evolutionary theories. On that note it sure seems peculiar that a lot of these non-believers are ardent Obama supporters.
Laughable....you are a religious zealot.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:01 PM

355 posts, read 447,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
There is no God. There is no Heaven. There is no Hell. When your time is up, you're in the dirt like every other living thing on this planet. Live your life how you see fit, and let others live theirs.
When your time is up, you and the rest of the non-believers will be facing excriciating torment from Satan. There is an afterlife. At this point it is your choice where you will spend eternity.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Bringing God and the bible into a debate hardly gives you any creditbility or kudo points. I remember we had a little debate in school about gay marriage. As soon as the teacher told them they couldn't use the bible in the debate, they had hardly anything to say.
Without God there would be no debates because He is the creator of all life. He gave us life, He gave us strength, He gave us the power to express our viewpoints in these kinds of debates.

Don't discredit our Lord Savior or the holy scriptures. Without them all of us would be nothing.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:09 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Bringing God and the bible into a debate hardly gives you any creditbility or kudo points. I remember we had a little debate in school about gay marriage. As soon as the teacher told them they couldn't use the bible in the debate, they had hardly anything to say.
Why would you have a debate in "school" about gay marriage?

Why would that even come into the "classroom" was your "teacher" gay?

Using words like "classroom" instead of "lecture hall" and "teacher" over "professor" make me think we're talking about grades k-12 and not a university.

Total indoctrination.

Nobody has to use the bible to argue against gay marriage.

You can use science and logic.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:12 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
Quote:
When your time is up, you and the rest of the non-believers will be facing excriciating torment from Satan. There is an afterlife. At this point it is your choice where you will spend eternity.
The ultimate mystery of life is death.

Nobody ever comes back to tell us how it is on the "other side".

One sure thing is that we will all one day know the answer to that question.

I may not practice any organized religion, but I think it is better to have a belief in something, to die, and see that you were right, than not to believe in anything, die and see that you were wrong.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Morality is legislated, correct. Most criminal laws and many civil laws are based on moral principles. That is never likely to change and many of these posters can't see it. Those morals, however, can come from MANY different places and not just from that book (the bible).

Moral standards can also evolve over time.

No, we're the ones who are enlightened; you are the one who lives in darkness.

And your explanations don't either. The reality is that none of us know.

Laughable....you are a religious zealot.
(1) Biblical scriptures have dictated the majority of our laws throughout history and even to this day. To provide one example, our capital punishment standards for killers is legal based on the verses in the Old Testament.

(2) Yes moral standards evolve over time and they have been loosened greatly over time. Have a look at the morals that have been weakened to allow easier access to things once considered reprehensible, and you tell me if society is any better as a result.

(3) Enlightened individuals are those who have found God and repented their sins. The people that succumb to temptation and engage in illicit sex, drugs, and other immoral behavior are not enlightened. A high percentage of those people are non-believers.

(4) Call me what you will but I still proclaim that the most notable zealots are the leftist, pro-abortion, pro-homosexual marriage, pro-illegal immigrant group of so-called enlightened individuals.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The ultimate mystery of life is death.

Nobody ever comes back to tell us how it is on the "other side".

One sure thing is that we will all one day know the answer to that question.

I may not practice any organized religion, but I think it is better to have a belief in something, to die, and see that you were right, than not to believe in anything, die and see that you were wrong.
With that I crown you with reputation points.

Thank you for being one of the few posters here with common sense.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:20 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
Quote:
With that I crown you with reputation points.

Thank you for being one of the few posters here with common sense.
Pascal's Wager is anything but common sense.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:24 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Why would you have a debate in "school" about gay marriage?

Why would that even come into the "classroom" was your "teacher" gay?

Using words like "classroom" instead of "lecture hall" and "teacher" over "professor" make me think we're talking about grades k-12 and not a university.

Total indoctrination.

Nobody has to use the bible to argue against gay marriage.

You can use science and logic.

It is College, my mistake I didn't use more college terms. lol And no he is not gay or bi.

That is what he wanted us to use. That is why he said no bible talk for the team that is against gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies