U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,513,406 times

Advertisements

A friend came over from Germany to attend her father's funeral. Before she could go back home, she came down with colon cancer. She had no insurance in the USA, yet she was seen by the best oncologists and treated in the best hospital, over a 2 year period. I'm sure her care was over a million dollars whe all was said and done. I helped her clean out her apartment when she was ready to go back to Germany. I drove her to the airport. She had 6 months with her husband when the German government told her there was nothing they could do for her. She died and was buried right before Christmas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 09:44 AM

7,921 posts, read 8,367,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The direct experience of my wife working with both the government side of health care and the private industry conflicts with your claims. In each case, the government plans were guilty of doing all the things you attempt to blame on "evil private business". While it does happen, the governments handling of claims has a terrible track record and is consistently abusive in these situations. My wife has had to deny medical benefits to someone far more times through government plans than that of private. Sorry, you are wrong. /shrug
Where did your wife have experience of a fully run Govt health scheme?
As i have said you cannot equate any American Govt. health scheme with a fully fledged Govt. health scheme. You talk about the Govt "handling claims". What claims? A uhc does NOT deal with claims. Every citizen is entitled to health care we do NOT make a claim as with Insuranc companies. We go to our Doctor or Hospital and are treated. No Claims...NO forms...we are registered with the NHS, we have a NHS number and we are automatically treated.
Not sure where you are finding these comparisons from?

Old 05-31-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
A friend came over from Germany to attend her father's funeral. Before she could go back home, she came down with colon cancer. She had no insurance in the USA, yet she was seen by the best oncologists and treated in the best hospital, over a 2 year period. I'm sure her care was over a million dollars whe all was said and done. I helped her clean out her apartment when she was ready to go back to Germany. I drove her to the airport. She had 6 months with her husband when the German government told her there was nothing they could do for her. She died and was buried right before Christmas.
You are telling me that Doctors and Hospitals just gave her a million Dollars of treatment with NO health insurance. SHe just was admitted into a Hospital and was treated for cancer over 2 years? Why didn't she go back to Germany when she was diagnosed. Why did a America Hospital pay a million Dollars for a Non residents treatment when American citizens cannot get this treatment without health insurance.
When Europeans travel abroad we take out travel insurance. It is accepted that you onsure in case of emergencies in Foreign countries.
Wierd how she didn't bother as it is something 99% of travellers from Europe do.
I cannot speak for Germany but i can speak for my own experiences and i KNOW for a FACT that you are NOT denied immediate Cancer treatment in a NHS.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:56 AM

In the UK, my wife's daughter came over to our house in London. She had a strep throat and we took her to our Doctor. He examined her, gave her anti-biotics and gave her a follow up appt to make sure she was OK. Because she was my step daughter staying with me we paid NOTHING for her to be treated..

Old 05-31-2009, 10:14 AM

25,106 posts, read 37,178,917 times
The fact remains that a UK style UHC scheme will NOT happen in the United States.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Obviously the treatment she recieved in America did not stop the cancer.
When she returned back to Germany the Hospital must have told her there was nothing they could do. That happens in private and NHS hospitals all over the World everyday. Patients who have had unsuccesful treatment die from Cancer. It is a sad fact and nothing to do with a Hospital witholding treatment. It is NOT the Govt in Germany who decides who gets what treatment but the Doctors in the Hospital. It is NOT like the American System where the Insurance company decides what treatment you can or can't have. If Non residents are treated in America for Cancer and recieve $1,000,000 worth of care..why do most Americans agree that the health system in America needs changing? Sounds amazing to me. Why the worry when anyone can get treatment without paying. Fantastic but don't tell the millions in America who can't get free cancer treatment.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:45 AM

Americans can get free cancer treatments contrary to what some would have others believe.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:12 AM

13,169 posts, read 635,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Americans can get free cancer treatments contrary to what some would have others believe.
Indeed. I have seen this to be so.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:12 AM

221 posts, read 206,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Can you give me the addy or number of hospitals in America who give free cancer treatment. im not talking about public hospitals that only give you treatment to stabalise and they charge you anyway. hope you arent telling us to go to a a&e and then run away from the bill

Old 05-31-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
Can you give me the addy or number of hospitals in America who give free cancer treatment. im not talking about public hospitals that only give you treatment to stabalise and they charge you anyway. hope you arent telling us to go to a a&e and then run away from the bill
In AZ, Cancer Centers of America, Mayo, St. Joesph Hospital to name 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies