Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:42 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

In the United Kingdom, and according to the chart found at PayScale - Doctors' Salaries in UK, Average Salaries

A Neurologist has an average annual salary of around $90,000 USD per year while a General Practitioner has an average annual salary of of only about $54,000 per year.

Not that great after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 06:47 PM

In Canada, the average pay for a General Practice / Family doctor is quite a bit higher than the UK: about $107,000 USD

PayScale Canada - People with Jobs as Physicians / Doctors Salary, Average Salaries

In the United States, the average income for a GP/Family Physican is $132,000

Physician Salaries, Average Physician Salary, Doctors' Salaries in USA - PayScale

Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
That sounds fantastic.
Do you ever worry about affording health care?
There are so many horror stories put on here about waiting times and quality of care. what is the real trutrh about that. I had to go to a a&e here in Florida and i waited what seemed like forever.
No one in the UK ever worries about paying for health care. It just isn't a issue. We have a fantastic safety net for those who are unemployed or cannot work due to illness. All of us who work do not mind paying tax for the health of the Nation. Having a good welfare system does not turn good workers into scroungers but helps people who cannot work. Yes you will get people who abuse the system but you get people who abuse the American system too. I have seen people post on here how yoyu can get A&E treatment in America and then not pay and run away from the bill. They seem to think that is a good health service when someone who is poor has to run away from a bill or get a third party to arrange cancer care otherwisw they can't get it. How lovely to have cancer and then have to get a stranger to pull strings to get you treated...yuuuuuk!
In the NHS it is like anywhere, even America, waiting times can vary.
At busy times like weekend evenings it can be busy and you have to wait a long time. There is a newish scheme in the UK now where your local Doctors sit in a surgery in the Outpatients dept at night and you go see them there. It means you avoid A&E and are seen straight away. this is after surgery hours and at weekends...great service.
If you read the gutter press you will get a hugely distorted view of a UHC.
I know from my own experience the good and bad. I also now know the good and bad of the American system and it sucks big time. My wife told me that she had been given a completely distorted view of a UHC when she was in America. She has used a UHC and now knows the truth too.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:59 PM

Thousands of kidney cancer patients are likely to lose out on life-prolonging drugs.

The NHS rationing body, NICE, has confirmed a ban on three out of four new treatments.

It has reversed its position on just one, Sutent, which will now be allowed for patients with advanced cancer.
Kidney cancer patients denied life-saving drugs by NHS rationing body NICE

Old 06-01-2009, 07:00 PM

221 posts, read 219,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
No one in the UK ever worries about paying for health care. It just isn't a issue. We have a fantastic safety net for those who are unemployed or cannot work due to illness. All of us who work do not mind paying tax for the health of the Nation. Having a good welfare system does not turn good workers into scroungers but helps people who cannot work. Yes you will get people who abuse the system but you get people who abuse the American system too. I have seen people post on here how yoyu can get A&E treatment in America and then not pay and run away from the bill. They seem to think that is a good health service when someone who is poor has to run away from a bill or get a third party to arrange cancer care otherwisw they can't get it. How lovely to have cancer and then have to get a stranger to pull strings to get you treated...yuuuuuk!
In the NHS it is like anywhere, even America, waiting times can vary.
At busy times like weekend evenings it can be busy and you have to wait a long time. There is a newish scheme in the UK now where your local Doctors sit in a surgery in the Outpatients dept at night and you go see them there. It means you avoid A&E and are seen straight away. this is after surgery hours and at weekends...great service.
If you read the gutter press you will get a hugely distorted view of a UHC.
I know from my own experience the good and bad. I also now know the good and bad of the American system and it sucks big time. My wife told me that she had been given a completely distorted view of a UHC when she was in America. She has used a UHC and now knows the truth too.
Thanks for the honesty.
i am beginning to learn who are the genuine posters and who are the sensationalists. I am seeing who actually has something credible to say and who is full of it.
It is really intersting to hear from someone who has real experience of health care and a uhc system.
I can see that many Americans like myself have been fed a line about the healthcare in America.
Thanks for your input. really learned something here

Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 PM

Opportunities to prevent recurrent falls and fractures in the elderly are being missed, experts have warned.

Every year, more than 700,000 people over 65 in the attend A&E after a fall.
But the Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership says many hospitals in England, Wales and Northern Ireland are not adhering to best practice.

NHS 'failings' over elderly falls

Old 06-01-2009, 07:03 PM

A three-year-old girl awaiting heart surgery has had her operation cancelled three times this month because of a shortage of beds.

Ella Cotterell was due to have aorta-widening surgery on Monday at the Children’s Hospital, Bristol. But 48 hours beforehand, the operation was cancelled for the third time as all 15 beds in the intensive care unit were occupied, her parents said.

A hospital spokesman said that procedures would be reviewed, but the case highlights a growing problem of cancelled operations in the NHS.
More than 57,000 surgeries were postponed for non-clinical reasons, including a lack of beds, last year – 10 per cent more than the previous year.

Girl, 3, has heart operation cancelled three times because of bed shortage

Old 06-01-2009, 07:04 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,843,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
Thanks for the honesty.
i am beginning to learn who are the genuine posters and who are the sensationalists. I am seeing who actually has something credible to say and who is full of it.
It is really intersting to hear from someone who has real experience of health care and a uhc system.
I can see that many Americans like myself have been fed a line about the healthcare in America.
Thanks for your input. really learned something here
My pleasure. It's great to have someone on here who really wants to know both sides of the argument.
I agree that there are some on here who just want to sensationalise and live in their own make believe world.
If you need to know anything more just ask.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 PM

221 posts, read 219,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
My pleasure. It's great to have someone on here who really wants to know both sides of the argument.
I agree that there are some on here who just want to sensationalise and live in their own make believe world.
If you need to know anything more just ask.
I know hat you mean. i ran into one of those on here. He reported me for attacking him personally on here. never mind i just ignore him now.
Thanks for the info and that link you had on brit hospitals is very interesting. Too many on here believe the newspapers and the agenda rdden headlines. Nice to actually get the facts from someone who has really been involved with a uhc system.
there are people in America who lose sleep worryinmg about their and their familys healthcare. seems so strange to have a place where not one person worrys about their healthcare or getting treatment. maybe it will happen in America soon.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:14 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Good. I expect you can provide data to support your claim?

Everywhere I've looked shows total (state and federal) welfare spending to be between one and two percent of budget. I do not think two percent has the effect on the economy you claim it does.
Medicare and Medicaid lose an estimated $60 billion or more annually to fraud, including $2.5 billion in South Florida. (Miami Herald, August 11, 2008)

The Medi-Cal program accounts for nearly 30 percent of state expenditures Budget - Medi-Cal - CHCF.org

One to two percent of the budget? no freakin way. You ask for links but provide none of your own.

Just look at California to see how great govt healthcare is. Its great for certain people, just not the people left footing the bill.

The first step to UHC in this country ought to be our immigration policy. We are the only developed country in the world with birth-right citizenship.

We are not Europe. We are nothing like Europe. In some ways we should be more like Europe.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 06-01-2009 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies