Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 08:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
You are going to pay into whatever system is mandated, just as you pay into Social Security, Medicare, and Income Taxes...
There will not be a mandated system.

Oh, and I don't pay into social security or Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 08:44 PM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There will not be a mandated system.

Oh, and I don't pay into social security or Medicare.
Good for you - but what difference does it make if you do or don't pay into those systems... it doesn't affect me whether you do or not... you are in a distinct minority of those who do not participate in those systems.

Eventually - I hope we migrate towards a mandatory UHC system like so many other successful UHCs...

To begin with - I realize the first cut at health care will be less robust - but I also believe that the public will eventually demand mandatory UHC - and the government will comply.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:51 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Quote:
Good for you - but what difference does it make if you do or don't pay into those systems... it doesn't affect me whether you do or not... you are in a distinct minority of those who do not participate in those systems.

Eventually - I hope we migrate towards a mandatory UHC system like so many other successful UHCs...

To begin with - I realize the first cut at health care will be less robust - but I also believe that the public will eventually demand mandatory UHC - and the government will comply.
Obama knows that baby steps are needed to get a UHC. Once the ball has started rolling you will be suprised how many will see the sence of care for all for much les than care just for the wealthy.
Obama is doing it right..he has learned from the Clintons that this issue cannot be rushed. A UHC will happen and it will be payed for in our taxes.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:53 PM

Hubble...did you see the link i had put in a previous thread to a NHS Hospital in the UK?

Old 05-31-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Why don't you watch the Frontline link I provided above...

Germany, Taiwan, Japan - all have forms of UHC that are much better than our current system - and they manage to pay for them...

Who pays for DOD, or Social Security, or Medicare??? We afford those programs - we can afford UHC.... we've just never tried - there are too many vested interests profiting from the current broken system who oppose it... and up until recently- they got their way...

I don't proclaim to have all the answers - but if those countries can do it - so can we...
Please - read the post I was responding to - the poster clearly stated that GM would not have any health care costs associated with their employees - thereby making GM viable.

I'm simply asking him who WILL pay for the healthcare costs

Old 05-31-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:

Actually - there are MILLIONS of Americans who do not pay into SS or Medicare.

And, if there were a "mandatory" HC system - would not pay into that system either.

There is a growing discontent within America right now - and some of this movement are actually suggesting that we simply stop paying federal taxes altogether.

Think of it - if 5 / 6 Million (or more) taxpayers quit paying income taxes - the government could not prosecute them - there is no room for them.

Mind you - I'm not necessarily saying I agree with this idea but, it is interesting to think about.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually - there are MILLIONS of Americans who do not pay into SS or Medicare.

And, if there were a "mandatory" HC system - would not pay into that system either.

There is a growing discontent within America right now - and some of this movement are actually suggesting that we simply stop paying federal taxes altogether.

Think of it - if 5 / 6 Million (or more) taxpayers quit paying income taxes - the government could not prosecute them - there is no room for them.

Mind you - I'm not necessarily saying I agree with this idea but, it is interesting to think about.
I know - anyone covered by a public retirement system is exempted from Social Security - not sure about Medicare... And the Amish are exempted...

As far as a tax revolution goes - I think the IRS would make examples of as many as they could in order to scare others from participating in the movement...

Old 05-31-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Hubble...did you see the link i had put in a previous thread to a NHS Hospital in the UK?
No - there are so many posts in this thread it's hard to keep up...

Can you post a link to the one you're referring to?

Old 05-31-2009, 09:19 PM

BHR University Hospitals - Queen's Hospital (http://www.bhrhospitals.nhs.uk/visitingus/newhos1.php - broken link)

This is the link to the Queens Hospital which has just been built and other local Hospitals. New Hospitals are continually being built and older Hospitals knocked down to make way for up to date Hospitals. All paid for by a small tax. It is called the National Insurance stamp and covers Health, Unemployment payments, Sickness benefits, Housing benefits, clinics, meals on wheels for the elderly, Old age Pension ( retirement pension for every woman over 60 and every man ove 65)
We pay 11% of earnings to cover everything on here and much more.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
I know - anyone covered by a public retirement system is exempted from Social Security - not sure about Medicare... And the Amish are exempted...
I was not even referring to those you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies