Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 06:11 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Health service dentists have been forced to go on holiday or spend time on the golf course this month despite millions of patients being denied dental care. ... Many have fulfilled their annual work quotas allotted by the National Health Service and have been turning patients away because they are not paid to do extra work. This is despite the fact that more than 7 million people in Britain are unable to find an NHS dentist."

Institute for Policy Innovation on health care, economy: Single-Payer Health Care Systems Ration Care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 06:11 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
Has anyone got any credible info about the cost of a uhc here?
Does anyone have any figures that show if the uhc is practicle or not, would be interesting to see.
If you need any info about how a uhc is run let me know.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:13 PM

In countries with "universal health care", the allocation of resources and services is ultimately determined by politicians and bureaucrats, not by physicians and patients. Far from being a "right", health care becomes a privilege dispensed by the government on the government's terms.

FIRM on health care, economy: Universal Care Means Government Control

Old 06-01-2009, 06:15 PM

Wait times for surgery in Canada at all-time high: study

A typical Canadian seeking surgical or other therapeutic treatment had to wait 18.3 weeks in 2007, an all-time high, according to new research published Monday by independent research organization the Fraser Institute.

"Despite government promises and the billions of dollars funnelled into the Canadian health-care system, the average patient waited more than 18 weeks in 2007 between seeing their family doctor and receiving the surgery or treatment they required," said Nadeem Esmail, director of Health System Performance Studies at the Fraser Institute and co-author of the 17th annual edition of Waiting Your Turn: Hospital Waiting Lists in Canada

Wait times for surgery in Canada at all-time high: study

Old 06-01-2009, 06:17 PM

221 posts, read 219,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
If you need any info about how a uhc is run let me know.
ok. i understand from your posts that you have used a uhc system.
is it like some on here say and run by the govt. Does the govt tell you what care you can have. waht is your thoughts on the uhc in britain.
would be nice to hear from someone who has real hands on experience of a uhc.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:20 PM

Hospitals across the country are imposing minimum waiting times - delaying the treatment of thousands of patients.

After years of Government targets pushing them to cut waiting lists, staff are now being warned against "over-performing" by treating patients too quickly. The Sunday Telegraph has learned that at least six trusts have imposed the minimum times.

Too successful: the hospitals forced to introduce minimum waiting times - Telegraph

Old 06-01-2009, 06:23 PM

In the UK, waiting times can vary depending on the type of cancer you have and the type of treatment you are going to have. For example, if you are going to have radiotherapy, you may have to wait several weeks before you begin your treatment. This is because in the UK there is a shortage of the machines used to give radiotherapy and the staff to operate them. Even though the Government are trying hard to equip radiotherapy units with enough staff and machines, it still takes time to install the equipment and 3 to 4 years to train staff to run them.

Waiting times for tests and treatment after cancer diagnosis: Cancer Research UK: CancerHelp UK (http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/help/default.asp?page=7396 - broken link)

Old 06-01-2009, 06:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
even as we speak welfare is going thru draconian change.
"automation" currently being implimented will eliminate personal service altogether.
if you are reading this, i would be thinking about home security right about now.
wana make a welfare application???, not here lady, go on line at the library.
wana speak to your worker, no such thing
call 1 800 customer service karachi

Old 06-01-2009, 06:34 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
ok. i understand from your posts that you have used a uhc system.
is it like some on here say and run by the govt. Does the govt tell you what care you can have. waht is your thoughts on the uhc in britain.
would be nice to hear from someone who has real hands on experience of a uhc.
Too many on here have their own agendas where health is concerned. The only thing they know about a UHC is what they read in the gutter press or what "someone" has told them.
A uhc is like any health service. It is there for the welfare of its patients. The big difference between a UHC and private health is that a UHC is only concerned with the patient and the medical staffs ability to treat the patient to the best of their ability.
A private Insurance Company is primarily concerned about the bottom line and profit. Profit comes before patients well being and they do not care about you as a patient but you as a "payer".
If you read my earlier threads you will see in detail what you get with a UHC and you will see it is NOTHING like what these anti UHC people say it is.
I have had great care from the NHS and as i am Diabetic i have regular check ups by my G.P. and my Diabetic Clinic. I have anual free eyesight checks. My Insulin, testing equipment and all my other drugs are free. If you do not have a chronic illness you pay a small sum for medication, i think its about $10 for a prescription but that is for how ever many drugs are on that prescription 2,3,4 whatever.
Britsh Doctors are amongst the finest trained in the World and British research is always coming up with new drugs etc.
When you use a NHS Hospital it is free at point of access. In other words no one pays. If you are a uk resident and are registered to a G.P. you pay nothing. If you are a visitor not staying with british family you get charged for using the NHS or your insurance pay.
When a UK national visits a EU country they also get free healthcare while they are there. You just get a form from the Post Office, fill it in and you are covered in Europe.
I pay 11% of my gross income and that isn't just for my healthcare but many other welfare benefits, pension etc.
Because of the competition of a UHC in the UK to Insurance companies, you can get private health care for extrtremely cheap premiums. I pay £55 per month for my wifes private insurance. She is American and insisted on Private Insurance when she got here. She has changed her mind a lot about a UHC now she has used one.
I hope this helps.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:40 PM

221 posts, read 219,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Too many on here have their own agendas where health is concerned. The only thing they know about a UHC is what they read in the gutter press or what "someone" has told them.
A uhc is like any health service. It is there for the welfare of its patients. The big difference between a UHC and private health is that a UHC is only concerned with the patient and the medical staffs ability to treat the patient to the best of their ability.
A private Insurance Company is primarily concerned about the bottom line and profit. Profit comes before patients well being and they do not care about you as a patient but you as a "payer".
If you read my earlier threads you will see in detail what you get with a UHC and you will see it is NOTHING like what these anti UHC people say it is.
I have had great care from the NHS and as i am Diabetic i have regular check ups by my G.P. and my Diabetic Clinic. I have anual free eyesight checks. My Insulin, testing equipment and all my other drugs are free. If you do not have a chronic illness you pay a small sum for medication, i think its about $10 for a prescription but that is for how ever many drugs are on that prescription 2,3,4 whatever.
Britsh Doctors are amongst the finest trained in the World and British research is always coming up with new drugs etc.
When you use a NHS Hospital it is free at point of access. In other words no one pays. If you are a uk resident and are registered to a G.P. you pay nothing. If you are a visitor not staying with british family you get charged for using the NHS or your insurance pay.
When a UK national visits a EU country they also get free healthcare while they are there. You just get a form from the Post Office, fill it in and you are covered in Europe.
I pay 11% of my gross income and that isn't just for my healthcare but many other welfare benefits, pension etc.
Because of the competition of a UHC in the UK to Insurance companies, you can get private health care for extrtremely cheap premiums. I pay £55 per month for my wifes private insurance. She is American and insisted on Private Insurance when she got here. She has changed her mind a lot about a UHC now she has used one.
I hope this helps.
That sounds fantastic.
Do you ever worry about affording health care?
There are so many horror stories put on here about waiting times and quality of care. what is the real trutrh about that. I had to go to a a&e here in Florida and i waited what seemed like forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies