Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 10:56 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
actually there was a white kid who was shot awhile back. The police said they saw him reaching. He sued the police department. In this case when you're black, in Harlem and running with a gun - what do you think people are going to assume you're doing? That's not racist - that's common sense. Hell if you're white and running with a gun I'm not going to say "well gee he's probably a cop so that's okay"

But my main issue is that the media reported this as "white cop kills black cop" there are so many questions that come to mind while reading that article but for all the people who won't read the article, they'll make an assumption based on the headline alone which is what the media intended. If he shot him in the back, then yeah that's suspect. If he shot him while he was running, then yeah that's suspect. But from the facts the article presented - if they are accurate - I don't see racism right away.

It could have been racially motivated, it could have been an accident. I'm just tired of the media waving their race flag and all the black people running on the field to play.
Granted, there might have been 1 or 2 cases here and there throughout this country where so called white people might have been mistakenly shot by police, but I GUARANTEE...matter of fact, I'm willing to put a years pay on it that it is NOWHERE NEAR THE AMOUNT OF SO CALLED BLACKS who were "mistakenly" shot by police throughout the history of this city and country.

Also, like I said earlier, noone is saying that the media doesn't use overly exaggerated headlines as attention grabbers or to sell papers/garner ratings. However, that is NOT the issue at hand. If you HONESTLY think that once the information came out that the police officer was a so called White person and that the victim was a so called Black person who JUST SO HAPPENED to be a police officer (off duty) that people wouldn't have started talking about this right away???? OF COURSE PEOPLE WOULD CONNECT THE DOTS ANYWAY!

I take offense personally to your comment about the media "waving the race flag and black people coming on the field to play". Hey, you can defend European oppression in this country all you want. The bottom line is with the history of incidents like this with so called Whites behind the trigger and so called blacks and latinos usually in front of the bullet, the feeling is MORE than justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:59 PM

PS: I've never heard of a so called White Amadou Diallo (sp?) or Sean Bell incident ANYWHERE in this country in HISTORY. You're open to prove me wrong however.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:15 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,614,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Just what is it, actually?
An accident. But that won't stop you from fanning your hatred i'm sure.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:02 AM
ako

140 posts, read 337,752 times
I don't really know much about guns, but why don't the police put rubber bullets (like the kind they use in riots) in their guns? For example, the first three bullets in the clip would be rubber bullets and the rest would be real bullets. So that if situations like this one occur (where the police officer doesn't really know if the person they're shooting at is really a criminal) they can shoot non-lethally at him, but they'll also be able to defend themselves with real bullets.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
I don't really know much about guns, but why don't the police put rubber bullets (like the kind they use in riots) in their guns? For example, the first three bullets in the clip would be rubber bullets and the rest would be real bullets. So that if situations like this one occur (where the police officer doesn't really know if the person they're shooting at is really a criminal) they can shoot non-lethally at him, but they'll also be able to defend themselves with real bullets.
It's an idea.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:37 AM

363 posts, read 817,788 times
Default It will never work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ako View Post
Because cops can be stupid (please forgive me if your on the job and on this forum). I'll give you an example. At roll call, you'll have a couple of cops just for sh*t and giggles, shoot one another with the rubber bullets, forget to reload those rounds and go out on patrol with live ammo.

Nice idea though. Just not for the NYPD.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:09 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,954 times
As a former NYPD Police Officer I laugh at some of the suggestions made by the people that have never been in law enforcement who don't know what a cop goes through day in and day out. You often hear the following:
1) Why not use rubber bullets......I don't even want to answer this one....the bad guys use real bullets and cops are not paid enough to not be on equal footing with bad guys.....most of us have wives and children and would gladly sacrafice ourselves to keep a civilian safe but to "underarm" yourself with rubber bullets and put you in a situation where you are overmatched before even beginning an armed confrontation is ludicrous.
2) Why couldn't they have just shot the gun out of his hand, OR, why couldn't they have just shot him in the leg.....another funny one. Cops are taught to shoot center mast in almost every case because that is the area that will neutralize a threat the fastest. At times, if someone is wearing heavy duty body armor (think the L.A. bank robbery some years ago) you may take head shots if an armed offender does not go down after shooting him center mast becasuse he/she is wearing body armor.

This is a TERRIBLE tragedy and accident. My heart goes out to the family of the off duy MOS who it appears was a good cop that took police action even when off duty. The officers that shot and killed him will have to live with it for the rest of their lives and I KNOW their intention before they put on their guns and vests that night was not to go out and KILL anyone. Unless you have walked in a Police Officer's shoes, you will NEVER know what you would do in that split second when ANYONE, white, black, brown, yellow, or purple turns on you with a firearm in their hands and you have to decide in that same split second whether you will go home to your family that night.......God Bless all involved and the off duty officer's family.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:51 AM

257 posts, read 1,058,496 times
A Black person who agrees to be a plainclothes officer is pretty much signing their own death certificate.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:48 AM

283 posts, read 521,907 times
[quote=ako;9037906]I think he means that a cop shot another cop by accident, and it had nothing to do with the race of either of the cops. But unfortunately because the two cops were from two different races, people might mistake it for something to do with race.

lol, cop-on-cop shootings are always between two different races: white cops shooting non-white cops. That's why people think it has something to do with race...because it (most likely) does! There haven't been ANY white-on-white cop shootings that anyone can name. *Sarcastically wonders why*.

It is very sad though, shouldn't they have walkie-talkies even when off-duty? Shouldn't officers from the same precinct (are they?) recognize each other in some way?

*Shrugs* they recognized him alright...as just another ****** needing to be eliminated.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:57 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
An accident. But that won't stop you from fanning your hatred i'm sure.
When have I ever fanned hatred?

*crickets*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies