Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:28 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
And based upon those factors, you've concluded that these individuals are unworthy of assistance. Clearly, YOU have judged them.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
Assistance involuntarily paid for by me. Yes I will then have every right to judge them based on those criteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 11:34 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Assistance involuntarily paid for by me. Yes I will then have every right to judge them based on those criteria.
Do you understand that by denigrating a jobs program for these people, by denying that there should be such a program, you're saying you WANT to continue to involuntarily pay for their assistance?!

!!!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Do you understand that by denigrating a jobs program for these people, by denying that there should be such a program, you're saying you WANT to continue to involuntarily pay for their assistance?!

!!!
It does not work that way. Because these kids pick up a rake and clean a park, and make a hundred bucks in a week they are going to be clean?
These are not sustainable jobs that will lead these kids to productive lives. This is not a program that will help them do better in school and take school seriously.
This is a band aid program to try and get some delinquents off the streets for a summer. Thank you.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 AM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is exactly what creates the sense of "entitlement". They are better off spending the money to help these people get on track..not give them a temp job and hand them money. This is just promoting dependence on the government to "save them".
Get them on track? You don't think that employment helps get them on track?
If not, what do you mean by that?
Quote:
I don't consider 14-24 homeless runaways entitled to get a job over someone who is going to school and preparing themselves for life.
You paint such a rosy picture (going to school, working hard, preparing for life).
It's BS. Preparing for life.
What high schooler isn't out getting hammered.
Preparing, lol.
Then they'll get to college and play around even more.

I'll grant you that 1%, maybe, are honestly trying to prepare for life.

I'm fully ok with helping out the down-trodden.
Sometimes all it takes is being able to see that tiny light at the end of the tunnel, to motivate someone to better things.

If you've never been in a hopeless situation, you won't understand that.
Quote:
Once that summer job is over the homeless runaway is still a homeless runaway. Nothing has been accomplished.
So the summer job will have no meaning for a homeless person?
But it would have meaning for the non-homeless?

Nope, that makes no sense.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:59 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
I found this:

Federal stimulus program pumping money into Western Massachusetts summer jobs for youth - MassLive.com

It doesn't seem that only "deliquents" will be eligible for these jobs.

Quote:
Kirby said Summer Jobs Campaign is open to young people ages 14 to 24 if they meet the same income requirements that would qualify them for free school lunch. Some jobs are only open to youth who also meet criteria for being at-risk, such as the child of a single working parent.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 05-29-2009 at 12:07 PM..

Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I found this:

Federal stimulus program pumping money into Western Massachusetts summer jobs for youth - MassLive.com

It doesn't seem that only "deliquents: will be eligible for these jobs.
But...but all "at-risk youth" are ipso facto delinquents! Wait a minute! What are you trying to make me think! Sean! Rush! Help! Lalalalalalalalala!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:04 PM

Oh....and to the OP...you're in violation of copywright laws as well as the TOS of this forum by not citing your source. You've copied someone else's words verbatim.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:05 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,107 times
LOL! Well, thanks for acknowledging that you have judged them - and that was the only point I was making (even though I disagree w/your position).

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:

Old 05-29-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Get them on track? You don't think that employment helps get them on track?
No. These kids need more guidance then a rake and shovel handed to them. How about for once tackle the problem and not the symptom?

Old 05-29-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
No. These kids need more guidance then a rake and shovel handed to them. How about for once tackle the problem and not the symptom?
Uh...are you aware that the criteria for these jobs that was conveniently left out by the OP is that they meet the same income requirements of the school free lunch program?

Once again to the OP...in case you missed it, cite your source. I'll give you a day to do so before I report the post as a violation of copywright law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies