Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 02:09 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Yeah and many public school teachers and adminstrators send their precious children to private schools. Seems they don't have much faith in the public school system but I guess it is good enough for us peons who pay taxes to fund the system.
Oh that is a great point. I can think of this one Teacher I found out was teaching at the middle school I attended. She refused to send her kids there yet she can teach there.

And school budget votes are the biggest joke. At least in my beloved ex state of New Jersey.

It is a huge mess and needs to be addressed. Yet President after President put education very low on their priority lists. Then they wonder why problems like urban blight occur.

Last edited by cleanhouse; 05-29-2009 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 02:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How is this a handout? These kids have to 1) beat the competition for the job and then 2) work to get paid just as anyone else has to.

It gives them something to put on their resume to help them later, plus whatever skills they develop on the job.
The handout is the access to the job. If you are not in one of these special categories, you cannot even apply. You cannot compete for the job.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:33 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
The handout is the access to the job. If you are not in one of these special categories, you cannot even apply. You cannot compete for the job.
Why would you want to?

Old 05-29-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
Even a cursory study of income distribution in this country shows you that the successful had a field day in the 90's and up through the present... they've benefited quite handsomely from favorable tax treatment and income opportunities.
The people being slighted here were not in the workforce in the 1990s. They were in grade school. There is nothing in here about income. The son or daughter of a postal worker in the inner city who does not meet one of these criteria cannot even apply for these government funded jobs....

Old 05-29-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Uh...are you aware that the criteria for these jobs that was conveniently left out by the OP is that they meet the same income requirements of the school free lunch program?

Once again to the OP...in case you missed it, cite your source. I'll give you a day to do so before I report the post as a violation of copywright law.
I provided the link to the article in the Boston Herald. Click on it.

Here it is again:
At-risk youths’ stimulus score - BostonHerald.com

Old 05-29-2009, 02:52 PM

When I was a kid growing up in Boston, summer jobs were difficult to get. For the government funded jobs, you had to know someone. A politician was the usual route. Now, it appears that it is not "who you know" but "who you are" that gets you the job. Just qualify via one of these:
Lacking basic skills.
Pregnant or parenting.
School dropout.
Homeless or runaway.
Court-involved or an “offender.”
An English as a Second Language learner or an immigrant.

And you can get a governemnt funded job. To me that is wrong.

There should be a lottery to get the government funded summer jobs. Students would have to apply and they'd be chosen at random. It would not matter what language you spoke, your past criminal record, your parental status... These are temporary summer jobs.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Well I just read that article..so regular funding for summer jobs for kids is being cut back while this special program is enacted..pure and utter hogwash. Now that is rewarding the wrong type of inner city kid.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Why would you want to?
I'd let everyone compete for the government funded summer jobs. No special treatment for anyone...

Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Teens living in group homes will be encouraged to apply for this program as well. It gives them an approved activity and some experience in applying for a job, as well as learning responsibility and how to handle money.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Now that is rewarding the wrong type of inner city kid.
I wonder if I was an "inner city kid" in the 1970's. I did live within the city limits of Boston. My immigrant father was a blue collar worker (highest pay ever was $23k/yr not counting overtime). Unfortunately, I never was arrested, did not have any children (heck, I never had sex!), stayed in school, never ran away, was never homeless, spoke English (a little French as well), and had some basic skills.... Oh well, I guess I would still have been cutting lawns....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies