Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 08:53 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I wouldn't say they are 'entitled', but I believe they could benefit from a job more. The studious, driven kids will be fine.

True, the homeless may still be homeless after the job concludes. But the job may also provide a skill set and direction. It's a risk I'm happen to see taken.
Wrong. Wrong Wrong approach. They cannot be fine if they learn that being a thug will get you a job and being a good productive student will keep you from getting a job.
Even if the Parents maybe well off they are trying to teach their kids responsibility by having them go out and earn some summer spending money. But they cannot because some thug is handed the job by BHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,616,626 times
Quote:
I disagree. I see the money going to those who need the assistance most. I'd rather see a young homeless adult be offered a job before staight A Billy from suburbia. Billy will find his way just fine.
I agree - help should be directed at those that need it most... it will make them productive citizens rather than a drain on the economy.

However, I believe that in addition to aiding the disadvantaged, there should be other programs that reward people based on merit... I'm sure there are programs like this in the stimulus package.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:57 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Wrong. Wrong Wrong approach. They cannot be fine if they learn that being a thug will get you a job and being a good productive student will keep you from getting a job.
Even if the Parents maybe well off they are trying to teach their kids responsibility by having them go out and earn some summer spending money. But they cannot because some thug is handed the job by BHO.
They have to apply for the job. Obviously, they wont get the job if they're "a thug." Snap out of it. Stop being afraid.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,107,611 times
And who said anything about "thugs"? We're talking about the disadvantaged.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:02 AM

They'e just so resentful and scared. Plus, one disadvantaged person is the same as another...whatever they see on TV.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:03 AM

37,955 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
If one of your kids is a high school or college student, you probably know that summer jobs are scarce this summer. As part of the Obama stimulus, Massachusetts got $1.3M for summer jobs, but the program has some interesting limitations:

The state Department of Transitional Assistance will be using some of Massachusetts’ $1.3 million in Obama administration cash for jobs for clients’ children ages 14 to 24 who meet specific criteria, including:

• Lacking basic skills.
• Pregnant or parenting.
• School dropout.
• Homeless or runaway.
• Court-involved or an “offender.â€
• An English as a Second Language learner or an immigrant

The stimulus-funded jobs for at-risk youths come as the state takes the ax to summer job funding, and private-sector companies scale back seasonal hiring. The Senate budget proposes slashing $12 million from job and training programs for teens and students."

So the students that have not had any illegitimate children, have stayed in school, have nor run away, have not been in trouble with the law, have some skills or can speak english cannot apply! MA is using federal money to reward negative behavior...
Its the same with the refinancing of mortgages in the stimulus, people who sacrificed in order to pay their mortgages on time get screwed. Manufacturing companies who allowed the unions to bankrupt them get bailouts.

0bama is all about rewarding failure, and flipping off success.

If you work hard, take night school, and start your own business, as soon as you become successful, 0bama calls you out as greedy, not paying your fair share, and targets you for huge tax penalties.

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Well, that's an interesting assumption.

The kids who are paid for by mom and dad and are going to school would apply for other jobs, they wouldnt apply for these.

What's creepy about this thread and the OP link is that it works on some people's overdeveloped sense that if The Big THEY have something, that means I cant have something.
So folks are assuming that kids not on that list are from suburbia and don't deserve jobs from that program.

If I re-read that list there is nothing on there about income levels so a kid from a poor inner-city neighborhood who studies and goes to school and is trying to better himself is also NOT eligible for this program.

It has nothing to do with rich Johnny from suburbia as there are no income limits stated in the OP. It has to do with the bad choices you made in life. So the poor kid who worked hard gets to see his friend who didn't give a hoot get a job over him.

5,165 posts, read 6,050,224 times
Quote:
They have to apply for the job. Obviously, they wont get the job if they're "a thug." Snap out of it. Stop being afraid.
Quote:
And who said anything about "thugs"? We're talking about the disadvantaged.
Quote:
They'e just so resentful and scared. Plus, one disadvantaged person is the same as another...whatever they see on TV.
" Court-involved or an “offender.”"

Sorry I am not Scared. I just have an awareness. This is where I draw the line.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:04 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Why do some people have such a problem with at-risk kids having anything positive in their lives?

Old 05-29-2009, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So folks are assuming that kids not on that list are from suburbia and don't deserve jobs from that program.

If I re-read that list there is nothing on there about income levels so a kid from a poor inner-city neighborhood who studies and goes to school and is trying to better himself is also NOT eligible for this program.

It has nothing to do with rich Johnny from suburbia as there are no income limits stated in the OP. It has to do with the bad choices you made in life. So the poor kid who worked hard gets to see his friend who didn't give a hoot get a job over him.
I was responding to a poster who was bitter because kids who are already in school and doing well -- unlike kids who cant afford college, runaways, e.g. -- cant qualify for these jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies