Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are "wise Latinas" better decision makers than white men
Yes 42 21.54%
No 31 15.90%
That's a racist remark 106 54.36%
Other 10 5.13%
Not sure 6 3.08%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:52 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

I strongly object to terms like "Latina". Either you are American or not. Yes people can be of Latin American origin but that should not be a consideration in justice. The very fact that a judge would admit to a genetic preference should put that one under a microscope. Everyone should have the right to make decisions for themselves under the framework of the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 12:02 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,893,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I strongly object to terms like "Latina". Either you are American or not. Yes people can be of Latin American origin but that should not be a consideration in justice. The very fact that a judge would admit to a genetic preference should put that one under a microscope. Everyone should have the right to make decisions for themselves under the framework of the Constitution.
Good point and you would think all the racially sensitives would have caught on to that by now. You don't see me demanding people refer to me as a Germerican, do you?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:31 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,213,975 times
Quote:
Btw, how did you feel about Batista's grandson being a Florida Supreme Court Justice? Of course "he" is a male.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pba View Post
An added bonus to be Latina? No, I disagree with that. Race should have nothing to do with it at all.

Yes, that's my argument. No matter who would have been running this country (or any other country) you're bound to have the same problems because a person's race does not decide whether or not they will make good decisions and be a good leader. It's not just non-whites but I'm just saying that people in general (no matter what race) have a way of messing things up in this world.

Why do you think that being a Latina is a bonus? Will it make her supreme court decisions more just? How do you think you'd react if another appointee said the same quote as Sotomayor did but said 'white' instead on 'Latina'? Are both these of these statement racist? Neither? Just one?
Excuse me. You seem to be MISSING THE POINT that for most of the history of this country, people other than white males didn't have the same opportunities. So now that more balance is being achieved, sounds like a very "concerned" white male or female here is trying to find ways to "sound" objective and fair by insisting that race and gender play no part in a person's life experience and perspective when being considered for a position on the USSC. Hmmmmm...........or for any other high level position in government or the courts.

Btw, I didn't get the names of those Founding Mothers.......do you have any?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
A TRULY wise man once said the following:

"I look forward confidently to the day when all who work for a living will be one with no thought to their separateness as Negroes, Jews, Italians or any other distinctions..."

"...a dream of a land where men will not argue that the color of a man's skin determines the content of his character..."

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Those are certainly wise words, and it will be wonderful when we "get there." Unfortunately, we are not there YET.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 PM
pba

410 posts, read 917,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
No, I didn't say this:

"You said white men have been in power forever so it's time for some balance. That's saying that just because whites have unrightfully dominated over the years that the best thing we can do is to put a person from another race in power just because of their race."

You are making assumptions and reading something into what I posted which I didn't say. You might notice that I made a point of saying WHITE MALES......not just "Whites." WHITE MALES. Or......maybe I just "forgot" the names of the FOUNDING MOTHERS. Can you name a few for me?

First of all, over the centuries there have been MANY well qualified people for all kinds of jobs and positions of power (this is not a new thing) who were not even considered for those positions because of their race, gender, age, etc. I'm not saying put a person who is not a "white male" into powerful and high-level positions simply because of the race or gender of that person when the person is NOT QUALIFIED. I'm saying it's about time that well qualified people, who may not be white males, be put into those positions.

There is a whole, great big country out here full of men and WOMEN, who are well qualified for jobs/positions which have historically been held only by WHITE MEN and a very, very few WHITE WOMEN in the past couple of decades. IT IS FAR PAST TIME THAT THOSE QUALIFIED CANDIDATES AS WELL AS WHITE MALES BE CONSIDERED AND SELECTED FOR THOSE HIGH LEVEL POSITIONS. Men and women of color could bring a different perspective to those positions FROM a WHITE MALE, and god knows, it's time for a broader point of view and a wider perspective.

Do you remember President Bush No. 1 didn't know what a scanner was in a department store??? Huh?

Btw, Brazil is not dependent upon the Middle East for oil.

"Reverse discrimination" is a red herring......in other words BS.
Drop the attitude because you won't get any response out of me unless you do. Try to have a rational, calm discussion or you'll quickly be added to people's 'ignore' list.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 PM
pba

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerflipper View Post
Good point and you would think all the racially sensitives would have caught on to that by now. You don't see me demanding people refer to me as a Germerican, do you?
Germerican, I like that. Devil's advocate response.....well the Germans weren't enslaved into captivity in this country so they chose to come over willingly. That's why Germerican isn't comparable to African-American....

I think I can see the point of that but I guess I wish the necessity for it still didn't apply.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:43 PM
pba

I just couldn't resist making one point about how you're contradicting yourself. Here's your exact quote:

Because WHITE MEN have been in control in this country "forever." It's about time for some changes and more balance.

Then I paraphrased this by saying:

You said white men have been in power forever so it's time for some balance.

Then you said, 'No, I didn't say this'.

So to summarize. You said it. Then you said that you didn't say it. Which is it?

Actually, no need to answer because if you can't already see how these statements are exactly alike then there's no need to continue the discussion.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
I strongly object to terms like "Latina". Either you are American or not.
You wouldn't have had anything to object to if for generations Latinos were considered to be Americans in the first place. I find it strange that after years of be put outside of the American mainstream, that the American mainstream now demands that those previously excluded must now drop any hint of that exclusion.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:56 PM
pba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You wouldn't have had anything to object to if for generations Latinos were considered to be Americans in the first place. I find it strange that after years of be put outside of the American mainstream, that the American mainstream now demands that those previously excluded must now drop any hint of that exclusion.
Personally, I feel that way because I want everyone to be treated as equals. To me the only way to do this is to stop differentiating between what type of an American you are. This country has a terrible history of discriminating against LOTS of groups of people based on race, religeon, sex, etc., etc. There's obviously nothing we can do to change that but what bugs me is, for some people, the answer to this basically amounts to reverse discrimination. Giving preference to those who were previously discriminated against had it's place at one time in our country but I believe that time has now passed.

Not at all to say that racism, sexism, etc. no longer exists but it's the intentional giving of preference that I have a problem with. I would love to call everyone 'American' but that's offensive to some because you didn't give a thought to their racial background.....it's just sad to me that saying 'American' isn't enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies