Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:42 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,326,110 times

Advertisements

Condo association from hell asks vet to remove bumper stickers

A Dallas home owner's association (HOA) told Frank Larison, a disabled veteran with more than 14 years of service, that he had to remove seven Marine Corps decals from his car because they constitute an advertisement and that violates HOA rules.

Fox 4 reports that "Otherwise, the homeowners association for The Woodlands II on The Creek -- where Larison has lived for eight years --- says in a letter it will tow the car at Larison's expense. The board also threatens to fine him $50 for any future incident."

"To me, it's being patriotic, and it shows that I served," Larison told Fox 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
How silly. They were not even obnoxious bumper stickers. I see much worse on a daily basis.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:25 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,849,553 times
Time to move. Why anyone would put up with an HOA is beyond me. I like a little freedom at my own home!

Old 05-30-2009, 05:40 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,158 times
One board member was interviewed and said he hadn't known about the letter. I hope it's a rouge HOA board president and that the other board members step up.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:42 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
The easiest solution is to park the vehicle in the garage..!
It would be interesting to hear the HOA's side of the story, there may be some things we aren't hearing. It does sound a little overboard on the part of the HOA, but they may have a good reason.. Lets hear both sides...

Old 05-30-2009, 05:54 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post

A Dallas home owner's association (HOA) told Frank Larison, a disabled veteran with more than 14 years of service, that he had to remove seven Marine Corps decals from his car because they constitute an advertisement and that violates HOA rules.

Fox 4 reports that "Otherwise, the homeowners association for The Woodlands II on The Creek -- where Larison has lived for eight years --- says in a letter it will tow the car at Larison's expense. The board also threatens to fine him $50 for any future incident."

A local radio host has told the gentleman that he will pay whatever fines the man receives. This will be interesting. It is not being received well here in TX. It they stick to their guns even license plate frames with car dealership names will have to go. Basically any sticker advertising any cause will to.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:01 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post

Is this only a "big" issue because he was a marine and had marine corp decals?

If it was some kid (or adult) with Rap, or Punk and Heavy Metal bands or FU stickers would you still be outraged at the HOA (or would you say yes they need to remove them)?

Did he agree to the terms of the HOA when he moved in?

Last edited by plannine; 05-30-2009 at 06:33 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,781,638 times
How many of his neighbors got busted for Obama stickers after the election was over?

Old 05-30-2009, 10:22 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
^ everything always goes back to "it's Obama's fault!"

first of all HOA's are very restrictive and if you buy into one you should be given a copy of their rules and bylaws. Having lived in a few we had a issue once repainting our house because it wasn't the proper shade of color that the original devolper used. We used the same painter the developer did but they had added something to their paint that seemed made it a bit darker. In reality it was the same shade of color but since the weather had faded most of the houses colors nobody understood what a fresh coat of paint would look like!

As for this former Marine I honor his service but 7 bumper stickers? That is just tacky!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:36 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

first of all HOA's are very restrictive and if you buy into one you should be given a copy of their rules and bylaws.

As for this former Marine I honor his service but 7 bumper stickers? That is just tacky!
What kind of a moron thinks a "Dozen" Marine Stickers on a disabled Marine's car are some form of comercial advertizing. The fact that guys like him were in the military keeping pompus a$$es out of harms way should allow them to put flags up in the yard too.

If he was advertising for Wally World, that would be pretty cut and dry. That homeowners assn. just grabbed a big tiger by the tail and will be letting go pretty quickly or will be coming up short a hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies