Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 09:21 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,751,615 times

Advertisements

To answer the OP question, there really is no reason. I'm really frustrated with social conservatives trying to hide behind a word and deny people rights. The LGBT community isn't trying to make a mockery out of their religion, they just want the same benefits and partnerships that are currently granted to heterosexual couples.

They are always saying that it ruin the sanctity of marriage, when in actuality it's them. How can you talk about the sanctity of marriage when divorce rates are at their highest. Instead of blaming gays, why not take a good long look in the mirror. If these people (social conservatives) want gays to have civil unions and the benefits, then why are their constitutional bans for same-sex marriage AND civil unions in 19 states??

I always here the argument,"well they can marry, but it has to be the person of the opposite sex." Why would you want to force a person to lie about their sexuality and then involve another person. That's even worse IMO, because two (and potential more if they have children) people will be hurt. It just doesn't make sense at all to me. Canada and several European countries have either same-sex marriage or full same-sex civil unions, and there countries moral isn't falling apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 12:12 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
If we want to bring "tradition" into this argument, then traditionally, marriages have been performed by the church. Not so much these days. How about all those marriages performed in Vegas, the city hall, nondenominational, ceremonies performed in a park, etc. Are you saying these are in fact not marriages, they're null & void? They don't count? I think most of my friends would call foul on that argument.
The Bible is still used in a lot of those marriages. Also, the word God is used quite often. These are all legal "marriages," as long as the couple is not of the same sex. But I do agree with you that everything is being screwed-up by new generations of Americans, beginning in the '60s.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:20 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

Just don't call it marriage - which is between a man and a woman.
Hate to break it to you, but your opinion does not define what marriage is.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:22 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The answer is very simple and short: because marriage is defined as the union between a man and a woman.
By whom?

Old 06-01-2009, 08:55 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
To answer the OP question, there really is no reason. I'm really frustrated with social conservatives trying to hide behind a word and deny people rights. The LGBT community isn't trying to make a mockery out of their religion, they just want the same benefits and partnerships that are currently granted to heterosexual couples.

They are always saying that it ruin the sanctity of marriage, when in actuality it's them. How can you talk about the sanctity of marriage when divorce rates are at their highest. Instead of blaming gays, why not take a good long look in the mirror. If these people (social conservatives) want gays to have civil unions and the benefits, then why are their constitutional bans for same-sex marriage AND civil unions in 19 states??

I always here the argument,"well they can marry, but it has to be the person of the opposite sex." Why would you want to force a person to lie about their sexuality and then involve another person. That's even worse IMO, because two (and potential more if they have children) people will be hurt. It just doesn't make sense at all to me. Canada and several European countries have either same-sex marriage or full same-sex civil unions, and there countries moral isn't falling apart.
I think many right wing organizations just went way too far with banning civil unions and domestic partnerships [in some states, mine being one of them].
I hope in the coming years there will be momentum to overturn the ban on civil unions and/or domestic partnerships.

I have always hated the argument, "You can get married...just not to someone of the same sex."

Old 06-01-2009, 08:59 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The Bible is still used in a lot of those marriages. Also, the word God is used quite often. These are all legal "marriages," as long as the couple is not of the same sex. But I do agree with you that everything is being screwed-up by new generations of Americans, beginning in the '60s.
Actually, no you don't agree w/me because I don't consider getting married outside of a church "screwed up". You sure as hell won't see me setting foot inside one of those hypocritical buildings when I get married.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:07 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
so?
topic of the thread isnt "love".. its a contract about marriage

Old 06-01-2009, 09:09 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Just don't call it marriage - which is between a man and a woman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Hate to break it to you, but your opinion does not define what marriage is.
Opinions about dont enter the equation.. The LAW says its between a man and a woman.

Liberals love to just ignore the law and pretend it says stuff it doesnt..

Old 06-01-2009, 09:22 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga75 View Post
I'm not sure if we can run a society like we run a DNA lab - i think that will produce more disastrous results as a system of governance.

Btw what's your favourite Ice cream.. Mine is Coffee toffee - i don't care about antioxidant content though it has been established most American's primary source of antioxidants is coffee
We must, as civilized society is dependent on logical means. Without reason, we are just emotional masses committed to any act as it comes to our minds.

For instance, anger is an emotion. If we are to use the same logic that you attempt to use in establishing love as the primary determining factor, then murder is justified if someone is angry. Lust then becomes justified when a person rapes another. I doubt you would agree them justified though? And why would that be? Is it because you begin to rationalize the problems with those straight emotions? You then begin to establish rules as to them and how do we do that? What make rule a better choice over another? If we use emotion to determine, then are we any better than the emotions that we assume to dictate?

The emotion carries no restrictions, no bounds, no reason. Like an animal, it is pure drive without thought.

As for my favorite ice cream, I honestly do not have one. It all depends on my mood. /shrug

Old 06-01-2009, 09:34 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,398 times
i live in massachusetts. gay marriage since 2004 and STILL no harm done. Gay marriage creats jobs, tax revenue. The LGBT people pay their taxes, follow laws and are good members to society. Why shouldn't they be able to yield the benefits to a civil marriage?

And for all of you who fear for the protection of the family core? We have the lowest divorce rate in the entire country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies