Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
yes i really did claim that and your rediculous not to be able to not understand why.

Read this article, this is for DC alone if gay marriage was legalized. It would create 700 Jobs! DC only has 600k people! And tons of revenue for hotels, marriage licenses, tourism, restaurants ect. This says $53 million over 3 years for 1 city alone! Weddings are expensive and BIG business.

Gay Rights - Change.org: Same-Sex Marriage Could Have Major Economic Impact in D.C.

another analysis on Maine's same-sex marriage impact

http://www.law.ucla.edu/williamsinstitute/publications/Maine%20Press%20Release%205.6.09.pdf (broken link)
So now we should support "gay marriage" because it allows people to go on vacation, as if its illegal to do so with unwed couples.. I better tell the gf and my kids our vacation is cancelled this year, I'm not married, and it seems that your saying we're not allowed to go on vacation unless I'm married..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 12:21 PM

297 posts, read 348,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesamillion View Post
(1) The registered voters of each state should decide the fate of homosexual marriage. The results have proven that the majority of citizens do not favor same-sex marriages. Constitutional amendments defining marriage as the union between a man and a woman have passed in every state where they were on the ballots.

(2) Homosexuality is an abomination in the eyes of God, and an abnormal lifestyle that goes against nature. Why should any government saction anything that is repulsive and degenerate? What's next, legalizing adult-child marriages?
Your whole "argument" is based on your personal religious beliefs. The framers of the Constititution deliberately seperated the State from the church.

1. Yes on Prop 8 was funded predominantly by the Mormon Church (Great pillars of Marital and moral virtue, that they are) and the Catholic Church. The church(regardless of denomination or religion) has a long established practice of capitalizing on the fear of the uneducated masses to maintain control of their "sheep". It's well past time for churches to pay taxes, since they are actively participating in government.

2. Although these beliefs are uneducated, uninformed and prejudicial, you are certainly free to have and express them. You are certainly not alone in your beliefs. Adolph Hitler held similar views of Homosexuals, Jews, the elderly and the infirm and we all know how that turned out. However, the very nature of the separation of church and state doctrine answers this question: The State should give no consideration to religious beliefs/edicts/dictates when considering laws. Simply put: There is God's Law and Man's law.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:34 PM

1,126 posts, read 4,561,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So now we should support "gay marriage" because it allows people to go on vacation, as if its illegal to do so with unwed couples.. I better tell the gf and my kids our vacation is cancelled this year, I'm not married, and it seems that your saying we're not allowed to go on vacation unless I'm married..
huh? You completely missed the point of my post (again). First I never said you need to support gay marriage, thats your decision.

Secondly, your the one whose think you need to be married to go on vacation lol. I never said that. I'm not married and I go on vacation lol. I have no idea where you got that idea out of my post above. All I said was weddings bring people to the state that they are being performed in, which creates tourism dollars that other wise would not have been spent if the wedding did not occur.

Thirdly, I was trying to explaining that by legalizing gay marriage, a direct increase in the numbers of weddings in the state happens. This is because many gay couples have been waiting to tie the knot once gay marriage legalizes. For example 18,000 gay marriages in 6 months in california. That means big dollars for the state and small businesses in the wedding industry... license fees, wedding expenses, hotels, transportion, floral, cakes, jewerly, djs ect you get the point (i hope)

Finally, this has an overall indirect benefit to you, your gf and your kids since the state now has more money to spend on your family via education, transporation ect.

I really think you need to take a business class. This is not a difficult concept.

legalize gay marriage ---> increase in number of weddings ---->increase in $ being spent ----> boost to local economy.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I realize that this thread is specifically about the contract of marriage, but, the topic of LGBT Equality goes much further and deeper than just marriage.

Consider this for a moment:

Nearly every decision LGBT people make has to be made in the context of their sexuality. Can we safely attend this sporting event/movie/amusement park/(fill in the blank) without "problems"? What will the atmosphere at this new job be like? Will I be fired for being gay? Is the neighborhood we are moving into going to be safe for us? And on, and on and on...

You mention that you have children. What if you find out that one of them is an LGBT? Do you want them to be harrassed or feel threatened on a daily basis? Do you want them to be taken to a secluded spot in rural Wyoming, beaten mercilessly and tied to a fencepost and left for dead like Matthew Shepard? Would you like them to be gunned down in their computer lab at school simply they give a Valentine's day card to a person they are attracted to like 15 yr old Larry King in California? Or would you prefer that they just kill or attempt to kill themselves like 30% of gay youths do annually?

The issue of marriage equality, in so far as the LGBT community is concerned, is only the tip of the iceberg.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:57 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
In the new testament it's not God's word but Paul's - maybe - in any case you are taking the word of a murderer - Paul when he was Saul.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
huh? You completely missed the point of my post (again).
No, I understood the point, I was simply showing you how absurd your argument was.
Quote:
legalize gay marriage ---> increase in number of weddings ---->increase in $ being spent ----> boost to local economy.
Increased weddings do not = increased travel, the only time one can make that argument is if the only time people travel is if they are married. If your spending money on a "wedding" it means your not spending it on something else, so you cant claim that increased weddings = increased spending. People only have so much to spend, they can choose to have a wedding, or buy a car, or a home, or something else..

Old 06-01-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
No, I understood the point, I was simply showing you how absurd your argument was.

Increased weddings do not = increased travel, the only time one can make that argument is if the only time people travel is if they are married. If your spending money on a "wedding" it means your not spending it on something else, so you cant claim that increased weddings = increased spending. People only have so much to spend, they can choose to have a wedding, or buy a car, or a home, or something else..
You are wrong. Since Gay Marriage is only legal in select states currently, the states that have legalized it are already reaping the substantial benefits of the legalization of gay marriage. Unlike heterosexuals, most LGBT's are forced to travel if they wish to marry ,unless they happen to live in MA, CT or IA.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:59 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,163,747 times
I would gladly shed my "marriage certificate" in exchange for a "civil union certificate". The LGBT community deserves the right to be just as miserable as the rest of us.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:00 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,955,672 times
We are getting into alot of legal mumbo jumbo - i mean the spirit of the law should have some heart to it!

Old 06-01-2009, 02:00 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times
Quote:

A wedding can be a very expensive event and will bring money into the county where it takes place.
OMG I just had a thought for a new reality show...."Gay Bridezilla!" Now that would make money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies